RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 04-02-2017, 06:26 AM

Default Viking SMG

Recently I managed to get into the Defence ACademy, Shrivenham's collections (through a friend who writes for Osprey) and I managed to get my hands on a few unusual weapons. The Viking SMG features in the RDF Sourcebook but IRL probably less than a thousand were made. It seems a perfectly fine SMG but given that there were so many alternatives that did the same job just as well it never took off.

Anyone incorporate it into their world?
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Some more info

http://modernfirearms.net/smg/usa/viking-e.html

"Viking submachine gun was designed in USA during early 1980s by Bertil Johansson, small arms designer of Swedish origin who later developed CBJ/MS weapon system. Viking submachine gun was manufactured in USA during the first half of 1980s by the Viking systems Inc. Despite very positive reports, relatively few (probably less than one thousand) Viking submachine guns were manufactured.

Viking submachine gun is a simple blowback weapon, firing from open bolt in single shots and full automatic modes. Bolt is of telescoping design, with most of its length located in front of the breech face. Sliding fire mode selector is located on the right side of the gun, above the trigger. Automate grip safety is built into the front of the pistol grip. If not squeezed properly, it would securely lock the bolt in open or closed position. Double stack, double feed box magazines are inserted into the pistol grip. Magazines are compatible with Swedish Carl Gustaf M45 submachine gun, as these “Swedish K” magazines are often considered to be among the most reliable ones. Iron sights include flip-up rear sight blade with settings for 100 and 200 meters range. Retractable shoulder stock is made from thick steel wire. Barrel is equipped with M16-style flash hider, and top of the receiver is equipped with integral accessory rail that would accept contemporary Aimpoint red-dot sight."

Given it's simple designed maybe you see it as a second line (REMF) weapon for US troops, maybe State Guard units? Given the 1994 assault weapons ban in the U.S. I don't see the company sticking round. Another option is Saab Bofors Dynamics CBJ-MS which is similar to Viking. It was first seen in August 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_B...ynamics_CBJ-MS

Looks fun to shoot
Old 04-05-2017, 03:06 PM

Somewhat lighter than the UZI but with a shorter barrel length. It is noted for having a higher 750 rpm rate of fire over the UZI's 600 rpm ROF.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:08 PM

Kinda looks like the old Linda from the '80's.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:30 AM

My thought was to issue to US Air Force security troops as a stop gap weapon