RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-10-2018, 02:00 AM

Default Modern 'Infantry Systems' in an Apocalypse War

Most developed nations are implementing or have implemented an 'infantry system'. By this I mean an integrated data and communication system complimenting a (usually) visual sensor rig that is then woven into a combined soldier kit. The Russian 'Ratnik' and the US 'Future Force Warrior' are two representative systems.

However, these systems usually assume that the infantryman using them will have the back up of the vast logistics and communications systems available to modern armies. What is going to happen to those troops' gear in a Twilight War?

What do we have to add to include these vital systems for something like a 'Twilight 2025'?
Old 09-10-2018, 06:18 AM

Once the batteries run out.....

I'm wondering just how well those tech heavy soldiers would cope without all their bells and whistles.
Would they be as effective as those trained say 30 years earlier before there was more than one radio per platoon, mini recce drones in every section/squad, and GPS more common than one unit per battalion.

One thing's for sure though. The infantry will be very happy not to have to lug around all that extra weight any more!

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 09-10-2018, 09:05 AM

One of those robo-mule things would be a neat encounter after EMP "killed" it. I think it used a couple of 2 cycle engines that could be salvaged... But kids playing all over it might be entertaining.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Once the batteries run out.....

I'm wondering just how well those tech heavy soldiers would cope without all their bells and whistles.
Would they be as effective as those trained say 30 years earlier before there was more than one radio per platoon, mini recce drones in every section/squad, and GPS more common than one unit per battalion.

One thing's for sure though. The infantry will be very happy not to have to lug around all that extra weight any more!
I do not have first hand experience with this, but have been told by several people that "were there, saw it happen" things like new troops when having issues with there blue force tracker and a older troop (normally platoon sergeant some times squad leader) pulls out a map just blowing there mind. Seeing as how attached to there tech the younger generation is I can believe it, asking around to the kids I know as none of them knew how to read my backup map book in my car.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:52 PM
Administrator

I know what you mean, CDAT. When I taught high school sophomores, the first unit of study was physical geography, part of which was maps and such. Kids these days really struggle with maps. They don't see a need, since every smart phone has a app for maps/directions. What will happen when modern people are deprived of phone/text communications, and the information superhighway (or dumpster fire) that is the internet? Extrapolate that and apply it to modern/near-future warfare.

Back to Chalk's question:

A lot of high-tech gear will be useless when deprived of a reliable power source (i.e. batteries) and computer networking systems. Even with solar rechargers and whatnot, battery life is finite. After a while, all batteries will lose the ability to hold a charge. After that, your NVGs, radios, drones, blue force trackers systems, powered exoskeletons, etc. become really expensive clubs.

That's the beauty- and limitation- of any iteration of Twilight 2000. Start the timeline anywhere you want, start with whatever tech you prefer- it doesn't really matter once the nuclear war destroys the means of production, and pre-exchange supplies run out. At that point, warfare returns to late 19th, early 20th century tech. levels and participants must make do with what they can scrounge or manufacture themselves.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048