RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-01-2017, 09:06 AM
Banned

Default Question on future new modules/sourcebooks

There has been considerable debate on a facebook forum raised by a few people who have said that they consider the new releases not be up to the standard of the original GDW releases due to the lack of artwork in them.

That they considered that lack to be a reason to not even consider buying them as the artwork was the reason that they had originally loved the game and that without it that the new modules had somehow debased the expected level of what a Twilight 2000 canon work should be.

I would like to hear from those hear on this forum what they think about that as to where we go with new releases. Neither Raellus or I are artists - we are writers and designers foremost and used photos to tell our story as we dont have access to the artistic talent that GDW had back in the 80's and 90's. Also we dont have the budgets to be able to pay for artwork as GDW did and we both did the best we could with our two releases.

Personally for me while the artwork was amazing I played the game and bought the modules and sourcebooks for their content and not their artwork.

Not looking for comment on what we have released but looking for input as to what people are expecting in the future.

There are a couple of people who have reached out to me and Raellus about possibly doing artwork - one who wanted a very large fee (which is not something either of us can afford) and one who was willing to do so for free.

Is there any strong feeling one way or another about whether or not there is artwork in new releases for the game or is content and storytelling what you are looking for?
Old 09-01-2017, 03:24 PM

Artwork is fine if it backs up the narrative but if is just pictures to cover up space or to fill pages why bother. I would rather have meaty content and few pictures than poor content with lots of pictures.
As for the GDW releases of the 80s and 90s the covers were excellent (Pirates of the Vistula being my favourite) but the interior drawings were at times lacking.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:49 PM

No art is better than poor art. use your imagination if you need pictures... These works are just as good as the original material, with or without art. Besides I farm images from tons of sources for use in my campaigns.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:00 PM
Banned

Keep in mind that pictures we use have to be ones that can be used for works that are for sale. Thats one reason that the fan canon free works can use pictures that we cant use if we make ones for sale. Same goes for artwork - it has to be free of use for us to use. And looking at what Marc Miller posted at his site the old GDW T2K art is most likely off limits as to using it.

FYI just to give you an example of what I mean by the scale of what the original games had to use as resources versus what Raellus and I had

Red Star Lone Star - Design: William H. Keith, Jr. Development - Loren Wiseman & Frank Chadwick Art Director - Rich Banner Associate Art Director - Barbie Pratt Interior Illustrations -Steve Venters, Tim Bradstreet and Liz Danforth Cover - Steve Venters

Rooks' Gambit - Raellus

East Africa Sourcebook - me (with credit to Raellus and a couple of others including Frank Frey for info here that was discussed years ago that I incorporated into the book)
Old 09-03-2017, 08:55 PM

Art's fine but public domain maps, location shots and weapon systems are better. If it's not artsy enough for some people, run through a filter. My biggest beef was that it looks like it was put together on Word without much thought towards ascetics. They need a unifying artistic look and some of the cover dressing that other T2K works used.

To be honest, I really liked Kenya sourcebook but didn't buy Rook's Gambit. I just don't need adventures. Sorry.

Benjamin
Old 09-03-2017, 09:27 PM
Banned

Actually it was put together on Word. I dont have InDesign or some of the other publishing software out there mainly because its close to 20 a month and this is something I do because I love the game and want to get new official material out there.

I originally did have the Twilight 2000 logo on the cover but Marc told me to take it off - have to ask him but not sure if he owns the rights to the logo (FFE site does mention that they only have the rights to a few pieces of the artwork and not sure there).

Marc did send me a template that I may use for future works that will allow the PDF to be a POD (print on demand) and has a template for photoshop cover - will look into it for sure
Old 09-05-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draq View Post
No art is better than poor art. use your imagination if you need pictures... These works are just as good as the original material, with or without art. Besides I farm images from tons of sources for use in my campaigns.
What he said. I'm fine with the public-domain photos, but what I really want (in adventures) are maps!
Old 09-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

I am pretty sure that Open street map can be used in commercial products as long as it is attributed.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/O...r_similar_work

Not an attorney but they are certainly worth a look.

I might be able to make unit location maps using the openstreet map as the base. I built the font for mapping units and I would certainly give you permission to use it. If you are interested maybe pm me. No promises, my code is years old and may not still work, but it might be a nice addition.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Banned

definitely interested in that Kato
Old 09-06-2017, 06:33 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
I am pretty sure that Open street map can be used in commercial products as long as it is attributed.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/O...r_similar_work

Not an attorney but they are certainly worth a look.

I might be able to make unit location maps using the openstreet map as the base. I built the font for mapping units and I would certainly give you permission to use it. If you are interested maybe pm me. No promises, my code is years old and may not still work, but it might be a nice addition.
I need an open street map for the past -- like about 1995 or so. I'm going nuts (no pun intended) trying to find detailed street and topographical maps for South Texas in that time period!

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 10-17-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
Artwork is fine if it backs up the narrative but if is just pictures to cover up space or to fill pages why bother. I would rather have meaty content and few pictures than poor content with lots of pictures.
As for the GDW releases of the 80s and 90s the covers were excellent (Pirates of the Vistula being my favourite) but the interior drawings were at times lacking.
Which ones, the first printings had different covers.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:49 PM

James, those images are amazing. They incorporate a large taste of the artwork of the original release.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral View Post
James, those images are amazing. They incorporate a large taste of the artwork of the original release.
Still working on a better look.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:58 PM

Slightly different effect
Attached Images