RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 02-04-2018, 08:39 AM

Default Flling plot holes

The big problem I have with "American Outback" is economic. Who is buying all the cows? But there's an interesting possibility (or, at least I think it's interesting...)

The Ballooners have a vaguely 1920's technology. Believe it or not, that means they need MILLIONS of cows to make gasbags for their airships, as explained by this article

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...0-8782723.html

So, I propose a change in the module. Delete the "Inland Sea" and replace it with a Ballooner Base.

What do other people think? And do you have any other "plot holes" in the modules to be filled?
Old 02-04-2018, 10:49 AM

It wasn't in a Morrow game (it was a fantasy rpg), but I did have a wealthy p.c. in a group who sold dairy cows, goats, poultry etc, fairly cheap, in return for a share of the animals produce - milk, cheese, eggs etc for the first year. He set up a general dealers offering goods, tools etc in the same way. In fact he managed to make the village self sufficient (the country was poor, recovering from a costly war), and his barter system for everything worked well. He had a lot of land, some of which he parcelled up and gave away to newcomers, for a share of their crops. His goal was to have his own town - he started small and over several years it grew to a decent sized settlement.

I read somewhere that fuel - gasoline etc only lasts a few years before becoming useless. If that's true, would there be the possibility of a gas by-product as a result of that fuel breaking down? I am not a chemist as you can tell lol.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocketteer View Post
I read somewhere that fuel - gasoline etc only lasts a few years before becoming useless. If that's true, would there be the possibility of a gas by-product as a result of that fuel breaking down? I am not a chemist as you can tell lol.
I doubt it would be very lucrative. Once the lighter hydrocarbons evaporate, you have a gasoline that will not ignite as readily in an engine. While this is going on, you also have the gasoline oxidizing, making a variety of heavier and less useful hydrocarbons in the form of gums and varnishes. Old gasoline can have the water removed and be added back into the feedstock of a refinery, but I don't think that is quite the result you wanted.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think there would be really, but hey you never know. Like I said , chemistry isn't my thing
Old 02-15-2018, 01:48 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

What about ballooner base in Amarillo TX home to the National Helium Reserve or the other 15 sites that produce helium?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Helium_Reserve
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium..._United_States
Old 02-23-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt W View Post
The big problem I have with "American Outback" is economic. Who is buying all the cows? But there's an interesting possibility (or, at least I think it's interesting...)

The Ballooners have a vaguely 1920's technology. Believe it or not, that means they need MILLIONS of cows to make gasbags for their airships, as explained by this article

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...0-8782723.html

So, I propose a change in the module. Delete the "Inland Sea" and replace it with a Ballooner Base.

What do other people think? And do you have any other "plot holes" in the modules to be filled?
If you assume they use just goldbeater's skin for the gasbags, you would need a huge amount of cows. But it is possible that they use the technique used in the Hindenburg and US airships. This is putting a gelatin film between two cotton sheets. Now you can utilize more of the cow to make gelatin in gasbag production and you utilize a large textile base as well.

Also, it should be possible to capture methane from the herd as well. Since methane is a decent lifting gas and was historically used when hydrogen and helium were scarce, this would be another item a ballooner base could supply the airships.

If you use this as the backdrop for American Outback, then you could have this be a ballooner advanced team setting up for maintenance of their fleet, or getting ready for the construction of new airships to serve a new ballooner clan being spawned by a large clan that has reached critical size.

Last edited by mmartin798; 02-23-2018 at 11:34 AM. Reason: additional content added
Old 02-25-2018, 09:41 AM

Interesting

I'm tempted to say that there must be a sizeable city that uses all the cows (and all the by-products). The meat is one thing, but all that leather, gelatin, oleo and so on would have value to several Encounter Groups. The simplest product might be Bloodmeal and bone fertilizers

http://www.businessinsider.com/surpr...-parts-2017-10

Last edited by Matt W; 02-25-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt W View Post
Interesting

I'm tempted to say that there must be a sizeable city that uses all the cows (and all the by-products). The meat is one thing, but all that leather, gelatin, oleo and so on would have value to several Encounter Groups. The simplest product might be Bloodmeal and bone fertilizers

http://www.businessinsider.com/surpr...-parts-2017-10

I am curious how the upcoming source book handles Ballooners. Current canon says they spend little time on the ground. But as we have discussed in this and other threads, the logistical needs of a balloon/airship fleet is substantial as the need gasbag repair and replacement, lifting gas replenishment, food and water, and other items that seem best served by a well established city or system of cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2018, 03:36 PM

As a non-USAian, I can't say I like the American Outback. It seems like a chance to play wild west this assault rifles and misses some very good chances of unusual societies
Old 03-14-2018, 02:16 PM
Internet Intellectual

Only a small percentage of a herd or flock is typically slaughtered. Large commercial ranches still have a lot of beef on the hoof as breeding stock and for herd health. More so for subsistence farming. Without a large market there isn't any need to slaughter any cattle. In this case it maybe a form of wealth, one cow equals X amount of something else.