RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
I personally think the best option to match the original image style, would be to take public domain pics (from the US military for example) and run them through a pencil sketch conversion. There are some online sites that do this or it can be done in photoshop with
many (6-20 depending on the image) simple steps. The steps can be scripted though.

http://www.picturetopeople.org/photo...to_effect.html

http://photoshopcafe.com/sketch-phot...oshop-tutorial

Converting to a sketch also moves it closer to being classified as a derivative work which might offer some legal protection if the images are not fully public domain.
A lot of 1st ed modules used military pics and movies for inspiration, "Armies of the Night had Arnold with an H&K94 from "Raw Deal" and the Geoffrey Lewis from "Night of the Comet".
Old 09-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
A lot of 1st ed modules used military pics and movies for inspiration, "Armies of the Night had Arnold with an H&K94 from "Raw Deal" and the Geoffrey Lewis from "Night of the Comet".
Yeah we discussed that in a earlier thread how you could get away with so much more in the 80s

Whole thread (shame Nates drawings are gone, some day I'll see if I can grab them as they are still on the site and click reload lets you see them)
http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=2556&

Raw deal comparison
http://forum.juhlin.com/showpost.php...6&postcount=30

Last edited by kato13; 09-10-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Banned

I noticed that as well. There were other derivative pics as well. In my case everything I am using is public and open for use - actually took photos out that I used in the original fan canon work because I couldnt use them for the release that was for profit. For instance the pic I had of a Buford tank - it wasnt a pic that I could use without getting permission so I had to get rid of it.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 AM

I may be able to help here, I run a mini-photography business in my spare time (ha!) and one of my projects is to create pics suitable for Twilight 2000. I'm quite happy for these to be used with attribution and can even edit shots to look more like the original edition if required (I STILL have great fun identifying the original pics!). If anyone is doing anything coming up for publication drop me a line and I can see what I have or can arrange to shoot.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham2 View Post
I may be able to help here, I run a mini-photography business in my spare time (ha!) and one of my projects is to create pics suitable for Twilight 2000. I'm quite happy for these to be used with attribution and can even edit shots to look more like the original edition if required (I STILL have great fun identifying the original pics!). If anyone is doing anything coming up for publication drop me a line and I can see what I have or can arrange to shoot.
That is great to hear that you can do that! Heck yes I would be interested and definitely would be able to give you attribution

question - if I sent you any of the pics I used for the Africa Sourcebook could you modify them as you said above?

definitely interested
Old 10-17-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
That is great to hear that you can do that! Heck yes I would be interested and definitely would be able to give you attribution

question - if I sent you any of the pics I used for the Africa Sourcebook could you modify them as you said above?

definitely interested
Send me a couple and I will see what I can do.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:57 PM

Here is a trial (quick) edit.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2017, 03:19 PM

The images I've been using in my Twilight 1964 booklet, not that that's ever going to be published, have been coming from state archives mostly. Some National Guards have great photo collections either through the state archives (New Jersey) or Flickr (Georgia). If you want to go for a B&W 80's and 90's feel with a creative commons license. Not sure what if you could charge for anything with them in though.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchordsage View Post
The images I've been using in my Twilight 1964 booklet, not that that's ever going to be published, have been coming from state archives mostly. Some National Guards have great photo collections either through the state archives (New Jersey) or Flickr (Georgia). If you want to go for a B&W 80's and 90's feel with a creative commons license. Not sure what if you could charge for anything with them in though.
If you want any editing send me them and I will see what I can do.