RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 05-12-2016, 02:16 PM

Default US Air Force Locations

Has anyone done anything on all the various US Air Forces by chance?

Only one I am aware of 3rd/16th and 17th but weren't there a dozen more or something?
Old 05-12-2016, 03:35 PM

Pre-war, or in 2000?
Old 05-12-2016, 06:17 PM

Post war / 2000ish
Old 05-12-2016, 07:55 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post

Only one I am aware of 3rd/16th and 17th but weren't there a dozen more or something?
Anywhere the highway regulations were adhered to and a B-52, F-111, or B-1 can land, refuel, and rearm?

The revetments along the surviving portions of the Autobahn.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:25 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Anywhere the highway regulations were adhered to and a B-52, F-111, or B-1 can land, refuel, and rearm?

The revetments along the surviving portions of the Autobahn.
That's true about the road lengths in Germany and Sweden, but not in the US.

There's a lot of those "revetments" in the ROK as well. (And mined MSRs. And sections of natural rock face in the mountains that are not natural. And...)

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 05-12-2016, 08:42 PM

I remember some discussions of BUFFS using highways, but the consensus was that it would likely tear up and buckle the concrete when landing. Its a pretty heavy plane, BUT it can fit on many Interstate Highways. I don't recall anything on the B-1B. The FB-111As I think were approved for emergency landings on Interstates; not sure about using one as an airfield but I'm pretty sure an Interstate can handle the weight of one without buckling.

ROK highway system is interspaced with sections specially reinforced for use as airfields. I never saw anything on exactly what they were suppose to handle, but I suspect they were designed with C-141s in mind. They definitely were intended to handle F-4s.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:58 PM

Re: interstates as landing strips: I do know about a T-33(?) that is/was enshrined along a Pennsylvania interstate (I-79 at I-90; Swaghauler may back me up on this?) as a veterans' memorial. According to my dad, the plane emergency-landed on a training mission on the interstate highway shortly before it was opened in the '60s, the plane was pushed off to the side, and turned into a park.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:16 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of where all the different numbered Air Forces or wing would end up.

But the highway factoids were cool to know.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:34 PM

Would the Air Forces (as high-level formations) still exist? Might they be turned into rear-area/cantonment security groups by the NATO high command? Once the planes are grounded, you've got battalions of security troops and brigade-sized support-technical groups (wings), to take over rear-area security.

P.S. You've seen this, right? https://www.scribd.com/doc/37695/NAT...of-Battle-1989 p. 37 is US Air Force in 1989, one could extrapolate for 1997, and then 2000, I think.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:27 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of where all the different numbered Air Forces or wing would end up.

Some Air National Guard units are co-located with civilian airports and may have survived if the civil target was spared. Additionally, the majority of Active Duty were probably killed and their equipment lost with the nuclear exchanges.

So, the proportion of Air National Guard and Reservists may be a higher percentage of those still capable of Service in T2K..... Same could be true among their naval counterparts.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:31 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
It is why the landing gear of the B-52 and C-130 are built along the centerline of the hull. Other planes to, but I am a grunt not a zoomie.

U.S. Interstates are supposed to include mile long straight stretches without bridges, overhead structures, or things like power lines close to the path.

It was an Eisenhower administration stipulation in the 1950s when the nuclear fleet was intercontinental bombers. Even the rest stops are part of the plan.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
Re: interstates as landing strips: I do know about a T-33(?) that is/was enshrined along a Pennsylvania interstate (I-79 at I-90; Swaghauler may back me up on this?) as a veterans' memorial. According to my dad, the plane emergency-landed on a training mission on the interstate highway shortly before it was opened in the '60s, the plane was pushed off to the side, and turned into a park.
It did indeed land on I90 but it was no accident. It was a test of I90 for use as an emergency runway. The plane was actually ferried into the "park" and "decommissioned" according to Airforce directive. That "park" (and everyone thinks it is one) is actually the Erie Veteran's Cemetery. My grampa is buried under the right wing with another "Battered Bastard of Bastogne."
Old 05-15-2016, 05:35 PM

You'd NEVER be able to perform B52 or B1/B2 landing and take-off operations on the interstates in PA. The standards of construction for roads and bridges had fallen so far below standards in the 90's that they would just fall through the roadway's asphalt and crash.

Fighters could land and take off though.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
It did indeed land on I90 but it was no accident. It was a test of I90 for use as an emergency runway. The plane was actually ferried into the "park" and "decommissioned" according to Airforce directive. That "park" (and everyone thinks it is one) is actually the Erie Veteran's Cemetery. My grampa is buried under the right wing with another "Battered Bastard of Bastogne."
Oh, well, it was a good story when I was 10.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Check out Chico's site under Air Force Orbats..

https://sites.google.com/site/chico2...r-force-orbats
Old 05-21-2016, 04:24 PM

That Saving Davis Monthon write up lists the 1st and the 14th in MILGOV control, possibly in Colorado.

Do they make Air Force ORBATS that include nor "flight" units? Ill have to check the published 1996 ORBAT again...
Old 05-22-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
That Saving Davis Monthon write up lists the 1st and the 14th in MILGOV control, possibly in Colorado.

Do they make Air Force ORBATS that include nor "flight" units? Ill have to check the published 1996 ORBAT again...
And the article Pacific Fleet has the 3rd Wing in Alaska and the 15th Wing in Hawaii. Two more down...

Now I need a list of the ones active at the time and start to walk back the list.