RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default OT; How nice you all are.

TiggerCCW UK 07-08-2004, 03:28 AM I recently joined a forum on another website, about the George A Romero movies, and zombie films in general. I should point out that I am not a particularly heavy poster and this is the only board that I really have much experience of. One of the first posts I saw mentioned a that sequel to '28 days later' was in the pipeline. I asked for a link to the site so that I would be able to see the information myself and also keep an eye out for any furthur information, and promptly got flamed by a long term member of the site who said that the info had been posted before and here was a link seeing I was too lazy to go through the back pages of the board. Another new guy asked an equally innocent question and got told to 'f*** off noob'.

It really made me appreciate just how friendly and good this forum is, but has made me increasingly wary of using any others. Is this sort of thing the norm?

ReHerakhte 07-08-2004, 05:24 AM Hey Tigger,

I have been on a few forums over the last few years, including such things as military technology, aviation, paranormal, Dark Conspiracy, GURPS, AD&D 2nd Ed, conspiracy theory (I love these guys, they provide me with days of laughter!), alternate history and I was also on the forum from Home Page Of The Dead once a long time back but I haven't encountered the type of attitude you have had to put up with .

I suspect you have a bunch of people who have had the free run of the forum you are describing for a while and now consider it their personal domain. You are better of without them I reckon.

The sequel you are talking about is apparently going to be called 28 Weeks Later and has some of the original crew but I don't think it has many (if any) of the original cast (well... the survivors at least). This scant info was written up in the entertainment section of my local newspaper.

By the way, what was the forum so I know who to avoid?

Cheers,

Kevin.

Antenna 07-08-2004, 11:02 AM Well, I read a swedish scientist thoughts couple of months ago and he noticed that lists and forums tend to get mature after a certain many posts (those not heavilly moderated at least)...

But I can remeber when this list was haveing one of its few flamewars, so really every list and forum has it now and then, just that when people get older they tend to say things like...

"Lets leave this subject until everybody has got a good nights sleep"

The first time I encountered that kind of centence I took it to my heart couse leaveing something angry over teh night and then look at it after the sleep... Well, I think I don't need to explain further, but just this list has been free from flamewars the recent 3 years I think and I think that is a good record.

If you know the really ancient T2k mailing list there was a flamewar every 6 to 8 months between them and they lasted like 1 month of infection. How I know this, couse I have almost the enitre list on my homepage for display, even if I think nooone visits it any longer it is there with some good stuff on it

So it just depends on how many torches a list can hold before you get a flamewar... The users of this list use a lot of humor and that is really a cure for those flamewars ....

Other lists that use a lot of humor tends also be spared from flamewars, those list that goes into a subject with a sense of "I'm allwyas right" those I really can be without....

So a sign for a good list is when people pull some legs and there is a curiosity amongs the users.

Antenna

TR 07-08-2004, 09:33 PM This board has had it's share of disagreements in the past, but you REALLY have to go back a few years to find them. (Those of you who have been here for awhile may remember a certain pie fight I unexpectedly become a part of with another person.)

But to be honest that is what always impressed me with this board and stuck by it. RARELY have I seen flames started just for asking a question or posting information that might have been divulged in prior links. Maybe it's because the average Twilight gamer is a high school if not college graduate (if not older) helps?

It certainly can't hurt...

Some of the fun posts I remember around these parts were when Frank Frey and Loren K Wiseman would drop by. Nothing like chatting away with some of the creators of the world we like to play in!

Until Later

TR

TiggerCCW UK 07-09-2004, 04:52 AM I've decided that it just isn't worth worrying about - particularly when I checked the board today and noticed that the guy who had called me lazy and told the other guy to foxtrot oscar is a staff member of the board. I'll still mosey over to HPOTD for the fiction section, but I'm off the boards there. I'll stick with the civilised people here thank you very much!

Chuck Mandus 07-09-2004, 11:19 PM Yeah some people can get snotty, try Usenet sometime. I like to frequent the police scanner and alternate history groups where people ask questions like "what if the 1993 World Trade Center Attacks were successful?" and the newbie gets pounded on by saying, "well we discussed that in 1997, do a google search." Well, personally, there are people flowing in and out all the time and sometimes it is good to bring up topics thath ave discussed before just to see what the new blood has to say. Myself, if they are like that, I'd ignore the trolls, I'm sure there are others who are willing to answer the questions and help.

Chuck

TR 07-09-2004, 11:32 PM Slightly off topic there but great icon there of the cat... being a slave to 8 cats... that's a pretty neat feat!

TR

Chuck Mandus 07-09-2004, 11:59 PM Originally posted by TR

Slightly off topic there but great icon there of the cat... being a slave to 8 cats... that's a pretty neat feat!

TR

Yeap it is. Would have been 9 cats but Muffin passed away yesterday (7/09) so now I have only 8.

Still though, I'm glad to have the 8 to keep me company.

Chuck

ReHerakhte 07-10-2004, 02:52 AM After talking to a few friends about this thread and particularly what Antenna posted, I'd have to say that I believe that the good professor (that is, the Swedish scientist), has the right of it.

I can recall some of the attempts by trolls to cause problems on the old TownHall boards and the personal attacks on a few people because they criticized someone else's firmly held beliefs.

Now that the years have passed and the members have become familiar enough there is a lot more humour and forgiveness (I'm particularly thinking of some of the gaffs I made and the willingness of other members to 'forgive & forget').

And as for Chuck and his eight cats, I have a hard enough time managing just one... how the hell do you manage eight!

Cheers,

Kevin

Chuck Mandus 07-10-2004, 10:15 PM Originally posted by ReHerakhte

After talking to a few friends about this thread and particularly what Antenna posted, I'd have to say that I believe that the good professor (that is, the Swedish scientist), has the right of it.

I can recall some of the attempts by trolls to cause problems on the old TownHall boards and the personal attacks on a few people because they criticized someone else's firmly held beliefs.

Now that the years have passed and the members have become familiar enough there is a lot more humour and forgiveness (I'm particularly thinking of some of the gaffs I made and the willingness of other members to 'forgive & forget').

And as for Chuck and his eight cats, I have a hard enough time managing just one... how the hell do you manage eight!

Cheers,

Kevin

Well, managing 8 cats, it takes a lot of love and patience. Right now as I type, I have one of them sitting next to my mouse, Buddha (Boo), one of my black cats likes to be with me when I'm on the computer. I normally would have 5 cats, well with Muffin passing away, 4 cats, but in 2001, I found a mama cat and 3 kittens so I was bumped up to 9, now 8. As the saying goes, "once you give something a name, you get attached," well that's what I did.

Chuck

graebarde 07-12-2004, 11:15 AM Managing eight cats IS easier than managing ONE.. With one YOU have to keep them occupied, with EIGHT they manage to keep themselves occupied when your not there. I bet it was Chucks house the filmed the commercial for kitty litter in where the cats are having a party too

Chuck Mandus 07-12-2004, 10:20 PM Originally posted by graebarde

Managing eight cats IS easier than managing ONE.. With one YOU have to keep them occupied, with EIGHT they manage to keep themselves occupied when your not there. I bet it was Chucks house the filmed the commercial for kitty litter in where the cats are having a party too

Yeah, it can be that way at times too, but they've been known to play with each other too. There are also times that I had 4 in the bed with me at the same time. One time, Pansy walked on my headboard, turned on my shorteave radio and Radio Habana Cuba blasted out at 3 AM. Another time, she knocked it over on my head too.

Chuck

graebarde 07-15-2004, 05:26 AM One time, Pansy walked on my headboard, turned on my shorteave radio and Radio Habana Cuba blasted out at 3 AM.

LOL She just had a thing for Cubano music is all, and couldnt sleep. My old Minx would get up and chase the cursor, and walk on the keyboard when I tried to type, of course that earned him a trip outside, which is what he really wanted anyways.