RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2010, 04:48 PM

I don't know about other nations of course, but Recruit/basic training in Australia includes first aid. Every soldier is expected to treat their own injury if possible while waiting for the medics. If not, then once the immediate battle is won, their sectionmates are to do it.
Essentially the training is similar to senior first aid certificates offered by such organisations as the Red Cross to civilians, but includes a bit more on traumatic injury and less on such things as stroke and epilepsy.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
I don't know about other nations of course, but Recruit/basic training in Australia includes first aid. Every soldier is expected to treat their own injury if possible while waiting for the medics. If not, then once the immediate battle is won, their sectionmates are to do it.
Essentially the training is similar to senior first aid certificates offered by such organisations as the Red Cross to civilians, but includes a bit more on traumatic injury and less on such things as stroke and epilepsy.
Sounds like First Responder training in civilian life & the Army's combat lifesaver program so soldiers on the spot can stabilize an injured squadmate until the combat field medic can get there.

But having an organic combat field medic attached to the HQ section has always been a good idea in my book... But having been involved in medical endeavors for the majority of my life, i am a little biased.
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:54 PM

Yes, that'd be about right but it's not separate training - it's integral to initial training even the clerks and drivers receive. Failing the first aid module means retest. Fail the retest and you're off to the remedial training and injury recovery platoon (known as Digger James or DJ Platoon). Fail that and you're out of the army.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 12-09-2010, 01:13 PM

There was a discussion on Tanknet concerning the use of reservists. Basically IMHO it is very unlikely that a fourth rifle co. Would be formed from reservists, recently released personnel would be added to bn.'s to bring them up to strength and those a little over the hill would be added to Home Service Units. (IMC campaign I have HSF Co.'s being upgraded to bn.'s this way). Many inf. Bn.'s were seriously understrength during peacetime. For the Gulf War both 1 Royal Scots & 3 RRF had to consolidate their personnel to form TWO Rifle Co.'s with the 1 Grenadier Guards (and many other regiments providing smaller individual & unit reinforcements)supplying full co.'s to both bn.'s to bring them up to a WE of THREE Rifle Co.'s plus HQ & Fire Support Co.'s (850 men total including attachments from other services, Royal Signals rear Link, RAMC, etc) However in the late 80's some bn.'s were so well recruited they did form a fourth Rifle Co. 1 Green Howards had a D Co. That became almost perpetuily stuck in NI to reinforce other units & I believe the 1 Argylls were also able to form one.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, that'd be about right but it's not separate training - it's integral to initial training even the clerks and drivers receive.
I think that's similar to the US -- basic training has always included a medical block of first aid stuff, though I gather from my Joes who are recently out of the school house that what they're getting as initial training these days is basically the full Combat Lifesaver course that we used to try to get at least a couple guys per squad or section through (and everyone if possible).

Of course that's pretty typical, I think -- medical training during peacetime is one of those things that can get shorted along the way, but when there's trouble in the wind and all, suddenly it's tommy-this, tommy-that and tommy learn to do a tourniquet. (With apologies to Kipling . . .)

With longer service volunteers in the force mix versus short service conscripts/draftees, what you can front load, training wise, on troops is pretty seriously increased in any case. I'd venture to guess that a US soldier today who's been through Combat Lifesaver or the operator-level TCCC course goes downrange with better medical skills than a draftee medic from the Vietnam era had coming out of that training pipeline. (Not knocking those guys, mind you -- they did great work with the training, technology and techniques of the era.)
Old 12-10-2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louied View Post
(IMC campaign I have HSF Co.'s being upgraded to bn.'s this way).
That's an interesting idea Louie. How many HSF Bns did you end up with?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:14 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseSoldier View Post
Of course that's pretty typical, I think -- medical training during peacetime is one of those things that can get shorted along the way, but when there's trouble in the wind and all, suddenly it's tommy-this, tommy-that and tommy learn to do a tourniquet. (With apologies to Kipling . . .)
You naughty boy, I've never Kippled...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 12-10-2010, 12:55 PM

Rainbow, I have around 50 Home Defence Bn.'s(HQ, 4 Rifle Co.'s with no support weapons). I Gthought of the idea of expanding them from what happened to the IRL National Defence Co.'s in WW2. I will get back to you with a listing. for now here is my list of TA Inf. Bn.'s.
Attached Files
File Type: doc British Army TA Inf. Bn.'s T2K.doc (56.5 KB, 192 views)
Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 AM

Another link I found that might be of some interest, albeit it's current, so some of the equipment mentioned wouldn't exist in the T2K World...

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/gen...12.PDF_web.pdf
Old 12-13-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_uk View Post
Most books from the 80's don't go into much detail (or at all) for the combat service support arms during the cold war.

Do you have one on the Royal Army Medical corps?
Dude, I just came across this link that might be of interest to you

http://british-army-units1945on.co.uk/RAMC.aspx

Same site also has an orbat for BAOR major units from 1945 right through to 2010.

http://british-army-units1945on.co.uk/Orbats.aspx
Old 01-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
Dude, I just came across this link that might be of interest to you

http://british-army-units1945on.co.uk/RAMC.aspx
Thank you for the link. Informative but not quite as clear. I recently Obtained a history of RAMC corps but that was not particular clear either. I might have to contact the regimental museum for answers. The History of the RMP 'Redcaps' was not much use either.

Quote:
The Cheshires and the Royal Hampshires are listed in the Challenge article on Canada as spending the War in Canada alog with two German Battalions.
Are there any other challenge article's concerning British Forces?

Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_uk View Post
Are there any other challenge article's concerning British Forces?
I don't think so, but can't be certain.