RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 11-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Internet Intellectual

Default PF 006 Lonestar.

For those of you who have been wanting a War......... The Members of Combined MARS and Science Team 13 enter a world of storm and slaughter to try and accomplish an impossible mission. They find themselves in a desperate, last-ditch battle against merciless savages. Buffeted by a killer storm, in a land filled with refugees, they join the Last Cavalry Unit in the fight for survival.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:01 PM

So TMP builds underground bases, recruits and stores teams around the country...and can't afford the 1,000 dollars for a satellite dish and has to take over the Johnson Space Center?!?!?!?!?!

The introduction of the First Cavalry Division (Lonestar) is an interesting and one with lots of room for development, not to mention the survivor gangs below the old border.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Internet Intellectual

OMG do I really, really, really despise the whole Air cushioned vehicle as a Project Machine.

I really, really do. The SK-5 was a Navy toy for interdiction in inland waterways and swamps. The Mekong delta for sure. I hate it. Not that I am fond of boats anyway. This thing is an annoying pin pick for the bad guys, it zooms by, shoots wildly, and hauls ass out to avoid return fire...... Harrassment fire at best. Royally screwed if the terrain is not favorable.

I am opting that and the Bolthole afloat concept out. Completely along with the other two ACVs. Somebody at Timeline thought these were sexy and cool. Damned if I know why.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 AM

I can see the whole point of a Hovercraft in swampy terrain, it makes a lot of sense, however, if I was to run a game there, I would have this sort of loadout:

2x 1 Man hovercraft recon
1x Inshore Patrol Boat, Armed and with medium steel plate armour (think the boats from Vietnam
1x Medium sized fully enclosed boat - Science equipment (similar to size as -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyne_class_lifeboat or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersey_class_lifeboat )
1x Flatpack swamp boat - stowed on Science boat

Mostly a sci-fi nut, who plays a few PC games.
I do some technical and vehicle drawings in my native M20 scale. - http://braden1986.deviantart.com/
Old 11-27-2011, 07:08 AM

Hovercraft and helicopters have similar maintenance requirements. I suggest that the ACV units could be replaced with a couple of Chinooks (stats are already in Prime Base) although a "Jolly Green Giant" would be useful too.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
So TMP builds underground bases, recruits and stores teams around the country...and can't afford the 1,000 dollars for a satellite dish and has to take over the Johnson Space Center?!?!?!?!?!
IMHO, this is not how I read this module. IF the First Cav and TMP can beat off the howling mobs from SOTB, then it might (repeat, might) be possible for the JSC to be used to contact Morrow Satellite. I do not read this as original planning. This is something for the GM to think about IF the team goes into the future. If they die at JSC, then do not worry about it.

My $0.02

Mike
Old 02-28-2015, 07:43 PM
Internet Intellectual

Decided to resurrect this one.

This is the largest single group most similar to pre-War America.

The 1st Cavalry Division is a nice touch, but the weaponry kills me. The author I felt was trying to hard to recreate the Old West. These guys were blue denim uniforms and ride horses. They carry Krag Jorgenson rifles and use gatling guns for support. Unless they need M1 tanks and Bradly fighting vehicles?

Personally, I like to think of it as all the elements are there just the right sequence of events and the people needed to make it happen aren't there.

So my stab at a plausible reason for the vast differences in the technology is the War hit the education and training establishment hard. Not only were universities lost to nuclear hits but, the population was decimated by war plagues as people came to the colleges and universities looking for help.

There was precious few left to pass on knowledge to many. Here and there someone passed on something even if it was some repair manuals and some tools.

So my take is the Morrow Projects greatest gift to the Lone Star Republic will be teaching the people and guiding the government to keep it a representative one like it is. I think they are churning out enough warriors to fight the Brotherhood.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Internet Intellectual

So this is the 1st Armored Division Order of Battle for Desert Storm in 1991.

Seems close enough for me to consider what can be surviving equipment and units post the 19 November 1989 war date for 3rd edition.

Might be nice to put unit names and colors to the all horse conversions, and to know which units remain mechanized for the threat from the south.

http://www.tim-thompson.com/gwob1stcav.html

1st Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division

3d Battalion, 32d Armor (Fort Hood) (M-1A1)
2d Battalion, 5th Cavalry (Fort Hood) [M-2]
1st Battalion, 8th Cavalry (Fort Hood) [M-1]
2d Battalion, 8th Cavalry (Fort Hood) [M-1]

2d Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division

1st Battalion, 32d Armor (Fort Hood) (M-1A1)
1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry (Fort Hood) [M-2]

1st Cavalry Division Artillery

Battery A, 21st Field Artillery [Fort Hood] (MLRS)
Battery A, 333d Field Artillery (Fort Hood) (Target Acquisition Battery)
1st Battalion, 82d Field Artillery [Fort Hood] (M-109) [DS 1st Brigade]
3d Battalion, 82d Field Artillery [Fort Hood] (M-109A3) [DS 2d Brigade]

Cavalry Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division

1st Battalion, 3d Aviation (Fort Hood) (Attack; AH-64)
1st Battalion, 227th Aviation (Fort Hood) (Attack; AH-64)
Company D, 227th Aviation (Fort Hood) (Command)
Company E, 227th Aviation (Fort Hood) (Assault;UH-60)
2d Squadron, 1st Cavalry (-Air Troop) (Fort Hood) (attached from 2d Armored Division)
1st Squadron, 7th Cavalry (Fort Hood) (M-3)

1st Cavalry Division Support Command

Company F, 227th Aviation (Fort Hood) (AVIM)
15th Support Battalion (Forward) [DS 2d Brigade] (Fort Hood)
27th Support Battalion (Main) (Fort Hood)
115th Support Battalion (Forward) [DS 1st Brigade] (Fort Hood)
1st Cavalry Division Band (Fort Hood)
68th Chemical Company (NBC Defense) (Fort Hood)
157th Ordnance Detachment (TOW/Dragon)(Fort Hood) (attached)
4th Battalion, 5th Air Defense Artillery[Vulcan/Stinger/Avenger] (Fort Hood) [Battalion underwent several organizational transitions during deployment, most significantly gaining three additional Avenger Platoons (formed from personnel of 2d Armored Division's 2d Battalion, 5th Air Defense Artillery) and forming Battery D on 10 December 1990 to control the Avenger assets]
Reconnaissance Platoon, 22d Chemical Company (Frankfurt) (attached from 3d Armored Division)
8th Engineer Battalion (Fort Hood)
123d Engineer Detachment (Terrain) (Fort Hood)
557th Engineer Detachment (Terrain) (Fort Hood)
312th Military Intelligence Battalion (CEWI)(Fort Hood)
545th Military Police Company(Fort Hood)
13th Signal Battalion (Division MSE) (Fort Hood)

OPCON and Attached Units:

44th Chemical Company (NBC Defense) [company (-) consisted of only one smoke and one decon platoon in direct support of 1st Cavalry Division Support Command; one decon platoon served with 1st Brigade, 2d Armored Division; another decon platoon served with 1st Infantry Division] (Fort Hood)
413th Civil Affairs Company (USAR, TX)
145th Public Affairs Detachment (OK ARNG)
Old 03-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Internet Intellectual

I must also do III Corps and the other tenant units at Ft. Hood.

The Ft. Sam Houston, and then process the Air Force bases in the region.

Texas has a military presence greater than some countries.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:34 PM

Lone star has a lot of holes...number one being the off-site bolt disguised as part of an oil rig. Living on the Gulf Coast, there is this little weather problem known as a hurricane, take the time to run NOAA's storm-tracker, there are lot of hurricanes that blow through the area, anyone want to take the odds on a Cat 4 or Cat 5 nailing the facility? Truely the odds of the facility lasting 150 years, makes one want to blow a few thousand dollars playing the lottery!

Then we have the hovercrafts, the absolute worst choice for moving through storm surges...I'd rather place them in Michigan and assign high dieroll modifiers for frost bite.

Parts of Lonestar I love, 1st Cavalry has shown up in several games, but I always convert the bolt hole to a land facility and trot out V-150!!!
Old 02-13-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Decided to resurrect this one.

This is the largest single group most similar to pre-War America.

The 1st Cavalry Division is a nice touch, but the weaponry kills me. The author I felt was trying to hard to recreate the Old West. These guys were blue denim uniforms and ride horses. They carry Krag Jorgenson rifles and use gatling guns for support. Unless they need M1 tanks and Bradly fighting vehicles?

Personally, I like to think of it as all the elements are there just the right sequence of events and the people needed to make it happen aren't there.

So my stab at a plausible reason for the vast differences in the technology is the War hit the education and training establishment hard. Not only were universities lost to nuclear hits but, the population was decimated by war plagues as people came to the colleges and universities looking for help.

There was precious few left to pass on knowledge to many. Here and there someone passed on something even if it was some repair manuals and some tools.

So my take is the Morrow Projects greatest gift to the Lone Star Republic will be teaching the people and guiding the government to keep it a representative one like it is. I think they are churning out enough warriors to fight the Brotherhood.
I was thinking of raising the division to WWI levels, .45 M1911's and S&W M1917 revolvers, either the more robust M1894 .30-30 or M1903 rifles. The M2HB sloldiers on and perhaps a copy of the M1919 variants. Khaki uniforms and Sam Brown belts, Patton swords and M1910 cav gear. But with the TNG armor, one could add more tanks.in reserve in the North. here is an example.
Attached Images

Last edited by .45cultist; 02-13-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:38 PM

This is one of my favorite concepts for a module, but the execution is lacking. First off the idea that the badly outnumbered, poorly armed and disorganized savages are pushing the Texans back makes no sense. The Texans having running tanks but no aircraft makes no sense. The MP vehicles are not very practical. The scout vehicle is nearly useless. It might be cute to play on a pond but for it to be miles out to sea is just death waiting for its crewman.

The St Louis crew ran this at several conventions as the opening scenario. I've also run it for in house games. I change up things a lot. The Savages get a big silent partner who hammers the Texans before and during the invasion. The MP vehicles get a big of a makeover as well. The little recon hover gets replaced with a hefty ducted fan rotorcraft that has two seat, is fully enclosed can fly above ground effect and carries a minigun and a stinger pod as well as a suite of sensors and ECM and is very stealthy.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
I was thinking of raising the division to WWI levels, .45 M1911's and S&W M1917 revolvers, either the more robust M1894 .30-30 or M1903 rifles. The M2HB soldiers on and perhaps a copy of the M1919 variants. Khaki uniforms and Sam Brown belts, Patton swords and M1910 cav gear. But with the TNG armor, one could add more tanks.in reserve in the North. here is an example.
M1917 revolvers are far simpler for a lower tech level to produce than the M1911. The M1911 requires milling machines and highly trained machinists making multiple setups and many, many, cuts. I would stick with the M1903 for the rifle, as the modules Krag-Jorgenson's are mechanically more difficult with the rotary magazine to justify manufacture. Additionally, the M1903 has a three lug bolt (it's a Mauser copy after all) and a much stronger action. I would throw in a twist with M1903s in 7.62 NATO instead of 30.06 since that is the brass and dies the Republic had. Probably would nerf them a bit because of lower quality propellants do drop 2 points off damage.

For uniforms...... I would stick with the blue denim and stetsons for the cavalry... It's Texas and that is all the justification they need. On the other hand..... the WW1 khakis, canvas web gear, and doughboy helmets is perfect for the Infantry and Armor troops of the Republic... justify this by saying patterns came from collectors and museums post war salvage.

As for a machinegun... going with the BAR for everyone with the exception of the M1 and M2 coaxial MGs. That the Republic does not have the tooling or equipment to make disintegrating link belts, thus all such are hoarded for the tanks and IFVs.

Grenades...... German potato mashers.. the complicated fuses of even the MK1 pineapple or british Mills bomb are out of the Republics reach. The friction pull igniter is not. Therefore, Republic grenades are the wooden handle variety with HE, Frag, and smoke being most common with a large demo variety and a 2kg charge for Engineers being uncommon.

Totally Ok with swords, sabers, trench knives, maces, spears, and lances.. though I would suggest working up a quick reference chart for damage based on PC or NPC strength and modifiers against types of armors to keep game play moving.

Anti armor weapons.. none modern. The threat from the Brotherhood comes as a surprise.. the M1s are the only AT defense with infantry or cavalry improvising using HE grenades and demo packs in close defense. TMP members don't have time to teach making mines, pole charges, and rockets, plus there isn't time for the Republic to make them. The Republic is going to make a crash program to make molotovs and ship those to infantry or militia in the defense.

Artillery.... The Republic doesn't seem to have any. We might assume that self propelled and towed versions did not survive the nuke strike on Ft. Hood. Additionally, no mortars... I chalk that up to no pressing need with the highly mobile horse mounted tactics of the Cavalry versus low tech and unsophisticated tactics of previous bandit threats. Something the TMP won't have time to teach and the Republic has no time to build.

Communications....... write it down and send a rider. Everything is worn out, broken, cannabalized, or destroyed. Even phone lines are out without a means to insulate cables.

Fuel..... actually, in abundance. Oils, grease, gasoline, diesel, and solvents in significant quantities...... Distribution is primitive and inefficient. Pipelines are proposed with effort into how to make pipe, valves, and hardwared being researched. The Republic doesn't have significant smelting and casting infrastructure.

Food. Abundant, but primitive. Rations are cooked at field kitchens or field bakeries. Luxurious, nutritious, and wholesome compared to the field rations of centuries before. TMP members will be curious about the hard tack, dried beef, dried vegetables, or fruit of the infantry or cavalry marching rations. The garrison and forward field kitchens produce hot meals twice a day of cereals, soups, stews, and anything else that can be boiled, baked, or fried.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
M1917 revolvers are far simpler for a lower tech level to produce than the M1911. The M1911 requires milling machines and highly trained machinists making multiple setups and many, many, cuts. I would stick with the M1903 for the rifle, as the modules Krag-Jorgenson's are mechanically more difficult with the rotary magazine to justify manufacture. Additionally, the M1903 has a three lug bolt (it's a Mauser copy after all) and a much stronger action. I would throw in a twist with M1903s in 7.62 NATO instead of 30.06 since that is the brass and dies the Republic had. Probably would nerf them a bit because of lower quality propellants do drop 2 points off damage.

For uniforms...... I would stick with the blue denim and stetsons for the cavalry... It's Texas and that is all the justification they need. On the other hand..... the WW1 khakis, canvas web gear, and doughboy helmets is perfect for the Infantry and Armor troops of the Republic... justify this by saying patterns came from collectors and museums post war salvage.

As for a machinegun... going with the BAR for everyone with the exception of the M1 and M2 coaxial MGs. That the Republic does not have the tooling or equipment to make disintegrating link belts, thus all such are hoarded for the tanks and IFVs.

Grenades...... German potato mashers.. the complicated fuses of even the MK1 pineapple or british Mills bomb are out of the Republics reach. The friction pull igniter is not. Therefore, Republic grenades are the wooden handle variety with HE, Frag, and smoke being most common with a large demo variety and a 2kg charge for Engineers being uncommon.

Totally Ok with swords, sabers, trench knives, maces, spears, and lances.. though I would suggest working up a quick reference chart for damage based on PC or NPC strength and modifiers against types of armors to keep game play moving.

Anti armor weapons.. none modern. The threat from the Brotherhood comes as a surprise.. the M1s are the only AT defense with infantry or cavalry improvising using HE grenades and demo packs in close defense. TMP members don't have time to teach making mines, pole charges, and rockets, plus there isn't time for the Republic to make them. The Republic is going to make a crash program to make molotovs and ship those to infantry or militia in the defense.

Artillery.... The Republic doesn't seem to have any. We might assume that self propelled and towed versions did not survive the nuke strike on Ft. Hood. Additionally, no mortars... I chalk that up to no pressing need with the highly mobile horse mounted tactics of the Cavalry versus low tech and unsophisticated tactics of previous bandit threats. Something the TMP won't have time to teach and the Republic has no time to build.

Communications....... write it down and send a rider. Everything is worn out, broken, cannabalized, or destroyed. Even phone lines are out without a means to insulate cables.

Fuel..... actually, in abundance. Oils, grease, gasoline, diesel, and solvents in significant quantities...... Distribution is primitive and inefficient. Pipelines are proposed with effort into how to make pipe, valves, and hardwared being researched. The Republic doesn't have significant smelting and casting infrastructure.

Food. Abundant, but primitive. Rations are cooked at field kitchens or field bakeries. Luxurious, nutritious, and wholesome compared to the field rations of centuries before. TMP members will be curious about the hard tack, dried beef, dried vegetables, or fruit of the infantry or cavalry marching rations. The garrison and forward field kitchens produce hot meals twice a day of cereals, soups, stews, and anything else that can be boiled, baked, or fried.
All this is good stuff, I'll make M1911's a luxury item, extended to all semi-auto pistols by some, including bandits. Rangers and senators and wealthy ranchers will have them, some having plain working sidearms as well as BBQ guns(senators might have a pristine nickeled BBQ pistol they half know to use). Some Milling machines and lathes exist, but spend a third to half their production run making spare parts for the shop and the odd new machine. M1903's minus a full stock and bayonet lug are civvie hunting rifles, same stats minus a kilo or two. The Cav denim is a mark of the "elite".
Old 03-24-2017, 08:28 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
All this is good stuff, I'll make M1911's a luxury item, extended to all semi-auto pistols by some, including bandits. Rangers and senators and wealthy ranchers will have them, some having plain working sidearms as well as BBQ guns(senators might have a pristine nickeled BBQ pistol they half know to use). Some Milling machines and lathes exist, but spend a third to half their production run making spare parts for the shop and the odd new machine. M1903's minus a full stock and bayonet lug are civvie hunting rifles, same stats minus a kilo or two. The Cav denim is a mark of the "elite".
Get the M1911 volume 1 and 2 by Jerry Kuhnhausen. There is production notes and materials data.... It is something like 45 machining setups for the slide alone to manufacture an M1911. M1911 Volume 1
Old 03-25-2017, 03:30 AM

One of the first thing any resource poor military ditches is a sidearm, better to have everyone equipped with some sort of working rifle.

I wonder if a model for the Cavalry would be something closer to Teddy Roosevelts Rough Riders? Which seemed to hit more the transitional stage the cavalry in Lonestar would be at.

e.g. mostly mounted infantry, whilst still having cavalry skills and starting to use light artillery and machine guns?

I think if the cavalry had faced any sort of serious opposition with modern rifles and the ammunition to practise marksmanship. Then high visibility blue uniforms with yellow stripes would be seen as an act of madness and lead to mutiny.

But if not and if communications are poor literally being able to see where your troops are on the field from a hill top with a telescope becomes an advantage

As it is it does raise an interesting question of what technology would a society rebuilding prioritise?

If radio communication was an essential way of getting fast reports from recon troops and moving limited forces where needed, would rebuilding even the most primitive of sets become an absolute priority?

Conversely if most of the foes you faced were bandits who couldn't shoot straight. Then would any rifle that shot accurately out to 200 yards however poor the ROF be all that you needed?
Old 03-26-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Get the M1911 volume 1 and 2 by Jerry Kuhnhausen. There is production notes and materials data.... It is something like 45 machining setups for the slide alone to manufacture an M1911. M1911 Volume 1
They are on my list as a hobby gunsmith.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:57 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
They are on my list as a hobby gunsmith.
I have all the M1911s, the M14, the S&W revolver books, and the Mossberg shotgun book. Definitely worth it if you own and want to work on any of those.

Sardonicus,

This Texas. If you're not sure, just ask. They will definitely remind you every third sentence or so that you are, in fact, in Texas. They will have sidearms. Cowboy cult. Gun fighter lore. Code of the West. Revolvers and autos of all types will be on every adult that can purchase one.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:

I have been thinking about this and decided that the Texas remnants might be one of the areas that might salvage machine shops and their users.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:12 AM

A quick search for vendors that service the petroleum industry in Texas that offer machining services yields about 100, some with mobile on-site capabilities, many of which are in the greater Houston area. If some of these were considered necessary for survival, then it is likely that a few mills and lathes may have survived. The bigger questions are: did enough skilled operators survive that can mill replacement parts for the machines, can tooling be created of sufficient quality and hardness to keep up with wear and can the generators be maintained.

I would claim that on a small scale this is possible, but whether or not it scales to the manufacturing of arms for an army is your call.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:55 PM
Internet Intellectual

Machine shops require huge quantity of consumables to make product.

High speed steel to make tool bits or tungsten carbide premade bits. Those are consumed as resharpened or chipped in use. Cutting oils and kerosene for lubricating parts as these are cut and generating heat. Sand paper in strips or sheets from 80 grit to 5000 grit to polish parts for fit gets used up fast. Sandpapers think three to six feet of strips for barrel polishing. Valve grinding compound in 40 to 600 for final fitting two parts that must have below .003 tolerances like gas valves. Drill bits (especially certain preferred sizes) last from a month to a year with periodic resharpening. Same goes for reamers to be sure a hole is true to the specified diameter.

Barrel reamers (cutters or buttons) are made by few specialized shops (Pacific Tool & Gauge is one) as are the specific reamers for a chosen caliber. These come in sets of three. One and Two basically open up and establish to chamber shape and size. Number three is the Final and cuts the chamber to SAAMI specs in depth, shoulder, and leed. One and Two would last about six months if you used a drill bit to hog out material. Three or Final has to be precise and would be out of spec if you were trying to cut several chambers a day for a month.

A machine shop needs three phase 240 or 440 watt power at 60 cycles without interruptions. Any loss or power that fluctuates will cause imprecise cuts a trained machinists would need to assess and recut.

Most of all a machine shop needs steel, iron, aluminum, copper, and lead in pure or as alloys in correct ratios. Most salvaged metals can't be trusted to make parts that must endure with out destructive testing first for hardness, ductility, etc, etc.

The Republic is must build a blast furnace to be fed with coke (cooked coal) and some metallurgists that know how to add in alloys like chromium, manganese, boron, and others to make steels for various purposes.

That is why I think the Republic and the KFS have a trade established about New Orleans with beef, ammonium nitrate, leather, motor oil, gear oil, lamp oil, kerosene, diesel, and plastic pellets going to the KFS. The KFS is sending back textiles, machine shop consumables, containers (55 gallon and 30 gallon drums, metal boxes with lids, and assorted tupperware or glass jars with lids), and horses for the Cavalry.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:

That is why I think the Republic and the KFS have a trade established about New Orleans with beef, ammonium nitrate, leather, motor oil, gear oil, lamp oil, kerosene, diesel, and plastic pellets going to the KFS. The KFS is sending back textiles, machine shop consumables, containers (55 gallon and 30 gallon drums, metal boxes with lids, and assorted tupperware or glass jars with lids), and horses for the Cavalry.
Agreed.

There should be trade between the major "industrial" nations. But I don't think you have to go all the way to New Orleans. Somewhere like Vicksburg might be a "free city" that trades with Texas and KFS if you include Truckers .

A minor detail I would add is that synthetic rubber should be on the list of Texas exports. Somebody has to make tyres for the Truckers and Bikers
Old 05-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt W View Post
Agreed.

There should be trade between the major "industrial" nations. But I don't think you have to go all the way to New Orleans. Somewhere like Vicksburg might be a "free city" that trades with Texas and KFS if you include Truckers .

A minor detail I would add is that synthetic rubber should be on the list of Texas exports. Somebody has to make tyres for the Truckers and Bikers
Truckers and bikers works. I was thinking of the Shipmen/Boatmen... I would have sworn there was a separate encounter group for the traders/pirates moving cargo and people up and down the Ohio, Upper Mississippi, Illinois and Tennessee.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Internet Intellectual

I like New Orleans as a trade center just for the historical reference to it always having been one. Vicksburg works too, maybe the Natchez Trace is once again running mule trains?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:30 AM

The problem with New Orleans is that the Mississippi River likely would have changed course and no longer empties near it. The Army Corp of Engineers fights a continuous battle to maintain the course of the Mississippi at no small cost. It would not take long for the Old River Control Structure (ORCS) to fail.

This was a major concern in the late 70's, since the flood of 1973 almost did undermine the ORCS. There was a paper written about the physical and economic consequences of such a failure in 1980 by two professors at Louisiana State University. An excerpt from the abstract reads:

"Were a major flood to destroy the ability of the ORCS to control the distribuion of flow between the Lower Mississippi River and the Atchafalaya River, then major flooding would occur in the Atchafalaya Basin, highway and railroad bridges would be destroyed, gas pipelines severed, and industrial production along the Mississippi River between Baton Rouge (BR) and New Orleans (NO) would be reduced. The dry weather period following the flood would result in reduced discharges in the river between BR and NO. This would permit salt water from the Gulf of Mexico to fill what is now the main stem of the river. The present channel would become a salt water estuary of the Gulf of Mexico."

It goes on to discuss the saltwater making existing potable water supplies unusable requiring a plan to replace them. It is a good read if you want a realistic idea of what likely happens in the lower Mississippi River after the war. The paper is the "Louisiana Water Resources Research Institute, Bulletin 12, September 1980". Using that as a search term in Google will take you to a PDF of the entire paper.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Internet Intellectual

My recollection is imperfect, but wasn't the city of New Orleans far removed from the ports and docks until very recent modern times?

Miles and miles if I am not mistaken.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:02 PM

The problems with the Mississippi River and its change of directions over 150 years on non-human control will almost certainly make New Orleans-Vicksburg-Baton Rouge almost useless as ports, on the other hand Mobile Bay would almost certainly be still usable, so how about a shipping route from Mobile Bay to Galveston or Port Arthur?

For Lonestar's long term plans, the Republic's efforts to recapture Galveston and reopen the trade route would be interesting.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
The problems with the Mississippi River and its change of directions over 150 years on non-human control will almost certainly make New Orleans-Vicksburg-Baton Rouge almost useless as ports, on the other hand Mobile Bay would almost certainly be still usable, so how about a shipping route from Mobile Bay to Galveston or Port Arthur?

For Lonestar's long term plans, the Republic's efforts to recapture Galveston and reopen the trade route would be interesting.
Fair enough. The mighty Miss is to valuable as a carrier to commercial freight with access all the way to the Great Lakes. Carrying freight almost for free with the current. The KFS could be taking over all freight going up stream. A fusion powered tug boat pulling multiple barges would be very, very, very profitable. Something that TMP personnel would be interested in because of its long term reconstruction efforts and at the same time the way that strengthens KFS power.

Also, there is the chance to throw in mysterious sailing ships that come from the Caribbean with sugar, spices, coffee, rum, and cocaine.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. The mighty Miss is to valuable as a carrier to commercial freight with access all the way to the Great Lakes. Carrying freight almost for free with the current. The KFS could be taking over all freight going up stream. A fusion powered tug boat pulling multiple barges would be very, very, very profitable. Something that TMP personnel would be interested in because of its long term reconstruction efforts and at the same time the way that strengthens KFS power.

Also, there is the chance to throw in mysterious sailing ships that come from the Caribbean with sugar, spices, coffee, rum, and cocaine.
Also explains the KFS interest in the Ohio/Tennessee/Mississippi Rivers network. I can see a small flotilla of river boats tug boats and barges trading KFS goods throughout the Midwest. Talk about a stranglehold on trade!

As far as a nuclear powered MP tug boat...Hit the sledgehammer website, there is a very nice write up on a project ship that can be used for the river and intercoastal trade and its large enough for the island trade.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Hit the sledgehammer website,
A name without a link? Are you taunting me, Sir?