RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 11-05-2008, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielmeister
This is online?
Yup. Been running the weird WWII campaign since spring 2005 in the Pyramid Online chatroom.

http://copeab.tripod.com
Old 11-05-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab
Yup. Been running the weird WWII campaign since spring 2005 in the Pyramid Online chatroom.
Hey alright! I'll check this out. Been a long running game as I can see- since spring 2005. Great.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Hey alright! I'll check this out. Been a long running game as I can see- since spring 2005. Great.
In the current adventure, it's December 2, 1941 and the PCs are in Honolulu ...

The PCs are:
Shinichi Kuroda: Shinto priest with very good ritual magic skills, born in the US.
Professor George Hamilton: archeologist and linguist with average ritual magic and alchemy skills, University of Chicago
Micky O'Malley: Irish spelunker and construction worker, werecentipede. Almost strong enough to shoulder-fire the Boys.

Games are on alternating Saturdays from 7-11pm central time.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Micky O'Malley: Irish spelunker and construction worker, werecentipede. Almost strong enough to shoulder-fire the Boys.

A werecentipede There's one you don't hear every day. Or even once a week....or month.....matter of fact this is my first time I've heard that one!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:31 AM

Default nice

nice set up -I like the mix .
Old 11-06-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
In the current adventure, it's December 2, 1941 and the PCs are in Honolulu ...

The PCs are:
Shinichi Kuroda: Shinto priest with very good ritual magic skills, born in the US.
Professor George Hamilton: archeologist and linguist with average ritual magic and alchemy skills, University of Chicago

Games are on alternating Saturdays from 7-11pm central time.
Nice... from the date in-game I see that they are on the 'eve of destruction' so to speak. A werecentipede almost strong enough to fire a boys rifle nice.... this is where gurps really shines. you can put in a lot of weird stuff and run with it.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Nice... from the date in-game I see that they are on the 'eve of destruction' so to speak.
Before I started the adventure, I read _At Dawn We Slept_. I think I made the players sufficiently paranoid telling them about how much worse the attack could have been for the US, so they started worrying about changing things the wrong way.

So far, the PCs have been warned to back off by the FBI and are being encouraged by Naval Intelligence (the PCs have worked for the US and British governments previously).

Quote:
A werecentipede almost strong enough to fire a boys rifle nice.... this is where gurps really shines. you can put in a lot of weird stuff and run with it.
Yup. Strange PCs are always nice.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:20 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Nice... from the date in-game I see that they are on the 'eve of destruction' so to speak. A werecentipede almost strong enough to fire a boys rifle nice.... this is where gurps really shines. you can put in a lot of weird stuff and run with it.
You can also do that by throwing a lot of Dark Conspiracy, 2300AD, and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs into your games...and a healthy helping of imagination doesn't hurt. (That's on this board in great abundance!)
Old 11-07-2008, 11:22 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
A werecentipede almost strong enough to fire a boys rifle
Just don't turn one of the players into a weresloth...I did that in a D&D game as a joke.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:42 AM

I'm an old GURPS fan, and also one of copeab players (though in another online campaign). I'll chime in in favor of GURPS 4e, though. I think it's a better choice for someone new to the system, and there's been a lot of stuff that's come out recently (and in the pipeline) that's nice. If you want to go that route, the core rules and High-Tech 4e are the only must-haves; Martial Arts and the SEALS in Vietnam PDF would be handy, but not essential. Also, if you're worried about lethality, the new Action! series of PDFs look like they'd be nice for dialing that down and making it a bit more cinematic.

On the other hand, 3E does have more material on modern weaponry and armor available. On the downside, some of this has the problems that built up over time with 3E (particularly vehicle stats), plus it's all out-of-print, though a lot can still be had cheap from SJGames. Either way they're tailor-made for a T2K-style game.

One suggestion, though: you can go far sticking to the Lite version of either edition. There's a tremendous amount of addition material and rules that can be added, but just because it can doesn't mean it should. There's a lot of options, and it's easy to bog a game down at the expense of fun and playability if you're not careful.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:48 AM

yes, using Lite and exercising your option to adopt (or reject) whetever rules you like or dislike is a good way to go. Some of my players now are advocating this approach. It seems we kinda burned out last game since we got deluged with sourcebooks and rules in the 4e.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
Just don't turn one of the players into a weresloth...I did that in a D&D game as a joke.
Paul, I'm trying to imagine what he looks like. But yes, it keeps coming back to me as a joke. neat one though....
Old 11-11-2008, 05:26 AM

I shy away from even the concept of "Roolz Lite" like a vampire avoids garlic. Pile on the crunch I say.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
I shy away from even the concept of "Roolz Lite" like a vampire avoids garlic. Pile on the crunch I say.
As the years go by, I prefer to simplify the systems I use. I've even considered moving everything to Fudge.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW Turnage
One suggestion, though: you can go far sticking to the Lite version of either edition. There's a tremendous amount of addition material and rules that can be added, but just because it can doesn't mean it should. There's a lot of options, and it's easy to bog a game down at the expense of fun and playability if you're not careful.
My suggestion is to use the Lite rules for melee combat and only use more advanced rules for missile fire (I think 4e Lite includes rules for target range/speed/size, whereas 3e Lite doesn't (this is why I like the Lite rules from WWII)