RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-2009, 10:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971
Default The USO in T2K

Hi everyone,

I remember there was a T2k website dedicated to the 'Last USO' show that was going on right before the nukes went off, stranding the entertainers in Europe.

It's had me wondering... Has anyone else thought of doing anything like that with NPCs or PCs showing up in their game?

One of the ideas I had for the USO was that it was still being operated by the various theater commanders as a way to keep morale up for both military and civilians in their areas of responsibilities. Thus i can see them keeping travelling USO shows operating in Europe and most especially in North America. It would be something that both CivGov and MilGov would be doing (and you could actually see troops/civlians wondering why certain celebs don't come and visit their cantonments/towns).

I have been trying to come up with how they would set up the USO show convoys... I had originally thought of the USAF personnel being assigned to handle the security of the convoys. composed of personnel from those aircraft squadrons no longer having fuel to put them in the air. You'd have officers and enlisted personnel capable of handling their security with some assistance of a little Army or Marine infantry training.

I had origainlly promosed USAF personnel being assigned to rear support duties manning things like Guntrucks to provide security operations, prior to enlisted personnel finding themselves being assigned to Army Infantry Divisions as replacements/reinforcements to bring them back up to some simbulance of strength (while the Naval personnel found themselves being funneled into Marine divisions after a crash training regimen type of bootcamp).

But back on target... USO Shows during the Twilight.

The kinds of adventures this kind of NPC encounter would be vast. a 'superstar' NPC meeting a PC and having a 'star-crossed romance' or even opposition groups trying to find a way to damage morale by targeting the 'on-the-road' USO shows with terror attacks.
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.