RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2014, 04:03 PM

helicopters reflect for me what I think would be a real worry for the project, technology addiction. Where technology by it's very usefulness undermines them as how will they cope when they lose them.

Aircraft need super skilled crews, spare parts and however many they horde they will run out. And if there is a second nuclear strike, the EMP will wipe them out.

So I suspect the Project would use a small number of helicopters as a in case of dire emergencies. Probably a mixture of hueys and some Russian stuff, as their military stuck with low tech soldier proof for a lot longer.

A Morrow project Hind would seem more realistic than an Apache.

I suspect simpler aircraft like Helium blimps and drones would be a hit. Blimps don't crash if their engines fail and if a drone crashes the crew survive.

A small put upon a recon team evading Krell could well find a control unit for a half dozen hellfire armed drones as a welcome game changer.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 PM

The number of Helicopters would be very limited. There not something you see stored in a Bolt Hole after all! But for Prime and the Regional Bases and maybe some of the supply depots I do see them put to use. And as the time period was supposed to be only a five year sleep and then wake up parts shouldn't have been a huge issue. Plenty of spares sitting around in warehouses and airfields across the countrys and I could see teams emplaced near factorys having orders to check them out for spare parts after they wake up. But for the entire 150 years after the nukes and a wake up each and every helicopter will be worth its weight in gold. And would make good fodder for scenario's looking for parts and pieces to keep any they did have working.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:46 PM

I also wonder if there'd be a goodly number of bush planes, stuff like DC10s.

Easier to fly, easier to fix and if one engine goes out it doesn't nose dive instantly.

Some fearless pilot may even be able to glide in.

I always had an idea for a scenario, where in Texas some lucky survivors got a working oil well. Produce av gas and have the last working 747, that they fly too a few ultra succesful communities to trade with.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 AM

I wonder what the possibility might be for the Morrow Project to have gotten there hands on a few old K-Class Blimps or even L-Class Blimps. Not very large but they could be used to transport supplies to out of reach teams or retrofitted with comm gear to extend comms range.

Might even make a good encounter for a Morrow Team to find someone using them as well. There essentially Goodyear Blimps after all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-class_blimp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-Class_Blimps
Old 04-11-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlion1 View Post
I wonder what the possibility might be for the Morrow Project to have gotten there hands on a few old K-Class Blimps or even L-Class Blimps. Not very large but they could be used to transport supplies to out of reach teams or retrofitted with comm gear to extend comms range.

Might even make a good encounter for a Morrow Team to find someone using them as well. There essentially Goodyear Blimps after all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-class_blimp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-Class_Blimps
Absolutely blimps are remarkably durable probably the least crashed aircraft in WW2, once you switch from hydrogen to helium. Have endurance measured in days not hours and if there's no clear roads for vehicles 70mph seems pretty fast.

A Blimp would provide a remarkably stable platform for launching and guiding a wide range of missiles. Indeed it wouldn't take much work to make it flying aircraft carrier for light drones.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_Sardonicus View Post
Absolutely blimps are remarkably durable probably the least crashed aircraft in WW2, once you switch from hydrogen to helium. Have endurance measured in days not hours and if there's no clear roads for vehicles 70mph seems pretty fast.

A Blimp would provide a remarkably stable platform for launching and guiding a wide range of missiles. Indeed it wouldn't take much work to make it flying aircraft carrier for light drones.
More of a 4th Edition take on the use of Blimps by the Project I would say. Not really sure how many Drones were available in the late 80's.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Since the canon project does has at least a few cargo planes, has there been any thought to Seaplanes? Given that they have zero need for a runway, I could see them being very valuable in the great lakes and for coastal project assets.

With fusion engines and the ability to land where there is water their mobility would be amazing.

Last edited by kato13; 04-13-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlion1 View Post
More of a 4th Edition take on the use of Blimps by the Project I would say. Not really sure how many Drones were available in the late 80's.
I always thought of the project having a key to the patent office for certain key technologies.

Also I believe Israel was using them through out the 1980s in the Lebabnon, to prick Syrian radars into action.

nb why doesn't the project fit night sights to any of it's heavy weapons.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_Sardonicus View Post
helicopters reflect for me what I think would be a real worry for the project, technology addiction. Where technology by it's very usefulness undermines them as how will they cope when they lose them.

Aircraft need super skilled crews, spare parts and however many they horde they will run out. And if there is a second nuclear strike, the EMP will wipe them out.

So I suspect the Project would use a small number of helicopters as a in case of dire emergencies. Probably a mixture of hueys and some Russian stuff, as their military stuck with low tech soldier proof for a lot longer.

A Morrow project Hind would seem more realistic than an Apache.

I suspect simpler aircraft like Helium blimps and drones would be a hit. Blimps don't crash if their engines fail and if a drone crashes the crew survive.

A small put upon a recon team evading Krell could well find a control unit for a half dozen hellfire armed drones as a welcome game changer.
I don't think the Morrow Project would be using Soviet anything in the aftermath of a nuclear war and ground invasion by the Soviet Union.