RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2010, 07:47 PM
sic1701

Default List of M-designations?

OK, I figured I'd run this one by the Brain Trust, here...is there a comprehensive list somewhere online, or can someone here provide a link or PDF or Excel, of all of the M-designations (and I'm sure I'm not using the correct terminology here) used by the U.S. military during the 80s to current?

I know M4 is the newer carbine, of course there's the ubitiquous M16 and M203, but what are the designations for, say, the 203's various and sundry grenades?

And while we're on the subject, why don't some weapons used by the Army go by M-designations, such as the Mark-19 tripod-mounted and vehicle-mounted automatic grenade launcher? Or the Javelin and Predator anti-armor weapons? Or the Mark-23 SOCOM "Supergun"?

Also, I know many things have the same designation, but are seldom in use at the same time...the M1 Abrahms tank clearly was not in use at the time that the M1 rifle was. And yet, the M2 .50 caliber machine gun is in use, and can be mounted upon, the M2 Bradley APC.

For my own campaign, I designated the Mark-19 the M96. For what it's worth.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:59 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipme...ed_States_Army
"There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
--General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Registered Registrant

I can't answer your entire question but I do know that the reason the Mark 19 is not given the M designation is because it was originally a USN weapons system and thus given a navy designation. Later the US Army adopted the weapon. If it had been the other way around, the USN would be using the grenade launcher as M*** rather than Mk19.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:54 PM
sic1701

Thanks for the Wikipedia link, Dog 6.

Cynic, the idea of the Army using something not preceeded by M-something-or-other kind of offends my sense of symmetry...like grunts would allow the squids to label something and make it stick!