RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 11-25-2011, 08:51 AM

Default Liberation at Riverton

Next in the module line up is the classic Liberation at Riverton. The first module released for our favorite game, LAR introduces us to some of the classics of TMP, the bolthole, the helpless survivors, the evil imps and the blue undead.

Overall, I've always enjoyed this module, its a good introduction for new players, encourages interaction with local NPCs, has the classic "fight against the bad guys", and for a change, the bad guys outnumber and outgun the team, encouraging the team to be creative with its assets (its also the only module that introduces the players to the amphibious side of the V-150). And finally, the players get a rude introduction to one of the most deadly "monsters" of TMP (I never fail to kill off 2-3 team members, its all in the timing!).

Its also the start of one of the enduring arguments of TMP, the "disposable" bolt hole. Basically this argument runs along two lines: First, the bolt hole is designed for one purpose, to protect the team until recall, then it is abandoned, never to be seen again. The second argument runs along the lines, you have an underground base, why not use it as the headquarters of the team's activities in the area. IMO, both arguments have their points. But I come down on the side of abandoning the bolt, especially for a Recon Team, it encourages the team to get out and get involved with the locals. A Science Team can swing either way and a MARS Team almost requires a base location.

Comments?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Internet Intellectual

Hmmmmm It is a Classic "Magnificent Seven" scenario.

It also plays into my imagining of the desolate future that NEEDS the Morrow Project.

Things are early Feudal with little or no cooperation and food or growing it is the preoccupation of most of the living. The village industry is mostly cottage crafts and falters due to little outside trade and the local Warlords (Imps) taxes.

I am torn on the Imps. On one hand they represent a challenge to a Team and are going to make completing the scenario as is a difficult one.

On the other hand, the IMPs are not up to the task of protecting their stash from other Warlords who would covet the Imps and their Tanks. Seems like they would have more Troops, and have Patrols or OP/LPs out. Maybe even have some out on a Raid or punitive action in the Region.

Tanks and Radios are a huge advantage, coordinated with the Mortars and the IMPs could be a powerful force in the Region and something even more for a Team to deal with.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:38 PM

Gotta admit that the Imps are a bit thin on the ground. But then there is just a side mention of who lives in Riverton as well. In my games, Riverton has a population of 5-600 with two-thirds of that living in small farms around the area. The Imps I usually place at around 80-120 with at least one roving patrol out at all times as well as 2-5 OP/LPs in addition to the camp guards.

Its the little things that make a team's life meaningful.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:01 PM

"Liberation at Riverton" is a really simple scenario with a clearly defined set of bad guys to kill. IMHO this is its strength. It's easy to add complexity, if you want it.

Suggestions

1. Women & Children . The IMPs are almost monastic in the way they live and there are no non-combatants. Adding woman & children to the scenario make the Imps less two-dimensional and makes the attack on their camp more difficult for the Morrow Project

2. Hostile Neighbours. Maxwell's Militia has forces bordering the Riverton area. The IMPs "main forces" are guarding the border

3. Alliances. The Imps are allies of Maxwell's Militia or some other group (I have a suspicion that the IMPs were originally written as members of Maxwell's Militia. )

4. Lucifer's Imps. Combine the "Operation Lucifer" and Riverton Modules (maybe there's a very good reason for the monastic behaviour and maybe the camp was hit by more than one warhead - but one was a dud)
Old 11-26-2011, 07:56 AM

LAR is one of those modules that doesn't need a great deal of tweaking, I've played it several times over the years and it works best in near original format. Like I said, its a wonderful starting module for new players.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Internet Intellectual

PF 001 is probably a good enough starter module for new Gamers or those New to post apocalyptic RPGs. In my not so humble opinion this Module like all the others should have had the Source materials fleshed out for a Campaign. What happens most times is after the module (ATM) Teams settle down in the Village.

Fine, if you go with the way the Modules are written and start with a new Team in each new Module.......... I don't like this. I do see the Merit in starting New Campaigns with a New Team in a new area when one campaign grows stale, or the Project Director needs some time to write up some new stuff.

The new equipment is useful as is the new hit location tables. The former National Guard equipment could be fleshed out more.

The Imps are kinda disappointing to veteran players as they are just drunken thugs with decent equipment. Their numbers are not even to impressive. I kinda feel like another Group should be beginning to make their move to kill the Imps and take their stuff, then a MP Recon Team pops up and complicates the matter. Maxwells Militia will certainly want everything the Imps have and more. The Warlord of Kankanee is not given any details and could be the next part of the scenario. The village is free today; what about tomorrow?

There was room for a lot more NPCs in the Village, the local Farms, passing through, and among the Imps for inclusion or improvement. There was just the write ups for a few families to give the reason to the team to "Rise up and Righteously cleanse the Earth of the Imps". Personae Dramatis but their could have been more of them.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:03 AM

I agree Liberation is an excellent training scenario. This was the first module I was exposed to back when... (No, contrary to popular belief, I was not wearing a loin cloth and carrying a club. I had Chain Mail and a sword )

When running Liberation, the GM should always have something else set up to tie in. Damocles, or Starnaman are good links IMHO.

My $0.02

Mike
Old 03-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Internet Intellectual

Old 03-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Internet Intellectual