Bren 4 6.35%
M-134 2 3.17%
other (explain below) 5 7.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Default Poll - Favorite 7.62mm MG

Well, since we're on a roll here...
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
Old 02-05-2010, 08:13 AM

The LSW version of the G-11. So many bullets, so little weight. Pity it didn't get past the prototype stage.

Edit: What the hell am I talking about? Favourite 7.62mm MG! I'm an idiot. Let me reconsider...

Last edited by Targan; 02-06-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:51 PM
The Stat Guy

Again, I have to go for The Pig.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 02-05-2010, 02:02 PM

Called me old fashioned but I went with the Bren.

I was lucky enough to fire a .303 version when I was a army cadet many years ago and I've been issued the 7.62mm version (L4 LMG) when serving with both the army and the TA.

The L4 LMG was highly accurate and a true joy to fire. Yes it only had a 30 rd mag, but it's lightweight compared to the GPMG was a bonus on long patrols.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Administrator

I like the "Gimpy" but the PKM looks a lot lighter and easier to handle. If I had to hump an MG, I'd want one that wouldn't give me back spasms.

That said, the relatively new, cut-down version of the M240 that the SEALs are using looks flippin' sweet (I can't remember its designation).
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 02-05-2010, 07:58 PM

Heckler & Koch HK-21. Delta Force took 'em on EAGLE CLAW and SEALs also use 'em. If you've read Keith Douglas' SEAL Team Seven books, both machine-gunners use the HK-21.

Old USMC Adage
Old 02-05-2010, 08:11 PM

I'm going with the HK-21 because of it's generally lighter weight and ability to use either belts or magazines.

BUT my heart says M60...

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-05-2010, 11:20 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

I would go with the M60 Carbine which was used by the SEAL teams. It is similiar to the M60E3, those things were a bit lighter and they had the cool forward grip, hey a cool factor can be a plus And it can do anything a regular 60 could do just a bit lighter, and the bipod is on the reframe not the barrel again adding to lightness.

The M240 is cool and all, but heavy, a good weapon to be left in the tripod for fixed positions, but humping it, fagetaboutit! <Unless the poll was what 7.62 MG would you like in a defensive position, and the minigun is a gattling gun so it don't count you smartys>

A close second although not 7.62 would be the MG 42

And the BAR is a weapon all its own, hey the Brits and Ozzies get Brens! But it is an "AUTOMATIC RIFLE!" Damned semantics.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
I would go with the M60 Carbine which was used by the SEAL teams. It is similiar to the M60E3, those things were a bit lighter and they had the cool forward grip, hey a cool factor can be a plus And it can do anything a regular 60 could do just a bit lighter, and the bipod is on the reframe not the barrel again adding to lightness.
Designation: M60E4. It has three interchangeable barrels of short, medium, and standard length.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:11 AM

Upon reconsideration I'm voting for the HK21 as well.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:49 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Default ..

I went for the MG3 - on the other hand the custom-made (fictional) PainTek AK with 100 drum (7.62Nato) and interchangable shotgun or GLU is my usual choice in HQs campaign...
Old 02-06-2010, 03:52 AM

120mm cannon
Old 02-16-2010, 12:30 PM

I have only shot the M240G machine gun and it was bad ass. Still' I'm gonna go with the M60 because it just beams machoism. I mean when I think machine gun I think M60 whether it be the E1, E3, or E4. Sure as a support weapon it's not in the same class as the 240 and some others, but it's sexier for sure. All the 1980's movies had a impact on me. I know it's not best as a GPMG, but if I could own one it be the M60.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 PM

I like the HK21... In fact I like most HK weapons systems..
Old 05-12-2010, 10:28 PM

Of the actual MGs I've gotten to play with (M60, MAG and 240s, HK21, MG3, and the PK) the PK stands head and shoulders above the rest of them as a light machinegun for a guy or two to actually have to haul around and fight.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjam View Post
Called me old fashioned but I went with the Bren.

I was lucky enough to fire a .303 version when I was a army cadet many years ago
Ramjam, if you substitute marine cadet for army cadet I could have written that What unit were you with? I spent time with Lincolnshire ACF as an instructor when I lived in England.

I love the Bren, either in 7.62 or .303. The magazine capacity is a bit on the low side, but its a great piece of kit. Only thing I didn't like was the chance of it ripping your fingers off when you let the working parts forward after a field strip - the ejection port is on the bottom of th weapon and its easy to accidently have your fingers a bit to far in....

I'm a big fan of the Lewis gun as well, simply on a 'looks' basis
Old 05-13-2010, 03:57 AM
In your own time, go on...

The L7A2 GPMG. I accepted it into my life as my personal saviour and have yet to regret the decision.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:34 AM

Default MG-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseSoldier View Post
Of the actual MGs I've gotten to play with (M60, MAG and 240s, HK21, MG3, and the PK) the PK stands head and shoulders above the rest of them as a light machinegun for a guy or two to actually have to haul around and fight.
We called it the "chain saw".

good range ,scary rate of fire,good ergonomics .plain fun to shoot .

Nowadays it comes with plastic drums that in effect is like a magazine with the belt stacked up inside.

This gun is a sob piece of kit that just keeps on going trough all sorts of abuse .

It weighs in at 11 kg though ,making it a bit cumbersome .But it can still be used as a personal weapon in a pinch .(well-sort of ).
Old 05-14-2010, 10:48 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by perardua View Post
The L7A2 GPMG. I accepted it into my life as my personal saviour and have yet to regret the decision.
Imagine some person in a post-apoc future coming upon that statement, and a religion growing up around it..."have you accepted the Jimpy as your personal lord and savior?"

Old 05-15-2010, 03:33 AM
In your own time, go on...

Frankly, that would be awesome. I am so tempted to go away and start working on the tenets of that religion. Possibly in the style of the Holy Hand Grenade.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:26 PM
The Stat Guy

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother f**cker in the valley,
Thy Jimpy and thy Holy Hand Grenade, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a firebase before me in the presence of my enemies;
Thou annnoistest my head with Kevlar; My ammunition runneth over.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:44 AM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

Being when I was in, the M60 still was in inventory. The M240s were with Mechanized/Armor units due to being the co-axis gun on the Tanks/APC/IFV/CFVs roaming around in the US Army, but the ground element in those unit usually lugged the M60.

The M60, much like the early M16s suffered from number of issue that were due to training. And again, both weapon with such low tolerance it shows when compared with AK/PK family.

Since we are dealing with GPMG for multi roles. I still have a fond spot for the M60, but it wouldn't matter all were good systems. The two things I would have to look at, is how the gun was to be used primarily, and if it would the end user would want to make accurate short burst or use the spray and pray method of sending rounds down range. I mean would the weapon be vehicle mounted with the option of taking it that mount for dismount use? Would it be used be the Platoon MG team weapon? Vehicle would probably be M240, if it was the Platoon MG or dismount team MG it would be M60 from the past. The PK wouldn't be bad choice if you were looking for spray and pray too keep head downs.

MG3 being basically WWII designed (ironic same one used as based for the M60 and M240/MAG) scaled to 7.62N wouldn't be bad choice either. Forget which WWII era gun it based off, I want to say MG42 and Allied troops hated it since it had such a high rate of fire. Of course by this time of the war the Germans had the habit of issuing less Rifles and more sub-machineguns too. Oh well.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:30 PM

MG3 --> Directly descended from the MG42.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Registered Registrant

Yeah, the history of the MG3 goes something like this -
MG1 was reverse engineered from original MG42 but couldn't be put into production soon enough so MG2 was produced in the interim.
MG2 was basically the MG42 re-chambered from 7.92mm Mauser to 7.62mm NATO.
MG1 went through a few tweaks to become the MG3
I think the MG2 was also updated to the MG3 configuration.

While the M60 took parts of the MG42 and also the FG42 rifle, the FN MAG is not related to the MG42 at all. The MAG is basically the Browning M1918 BAR mechanism turned upside down and given a belt feed.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:40 AM

Okay I stand correct on the MAG/M240...Gee Browning knew how to build them..lol

No wonder the US after several year of using it as Co-axial gun placed the M240 in general service. Never made much sense to have Armor/Mechanized forces using one MG for the vehicle and using the M60 for the ground pounders...
Old 05-17-2010, 01:27 PM

And the 240 coaxes were adopted because the coaxial version of the M60 was a flop (and the preceding M73 coax MG was just an utter POS, apparently).
Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott Shaull View Post
...Gee Browning knew how to build them..lol
Yeah, I personally think John Browning was the single most influential person in modern firearms design. If he had designed just one or two items that improved firearms, he'd be just another inventor but he designed the most important aspect of self-loading handguns (the telescoping bolt as well as integrating the barrel and bolt into the slide mechanism), the gas-recoil operated machinegun and went on to design several firearms that are basically unchanged from the day he invented them (the M1911 pistol, the M2 MG, the Browning Auto-5 shotgun) nearly 90-100 years ago
Old 05-18-2010, 06:01 AM

Yeah and the .30 cal machine guns and the BAR seem to last a long time than many people would give them credit for. The .30 cal either air or water cooled weren't the best weapon in class, but were more functional than some of the garbage others were peddling around.

Could you think if he had made an Assault Rifle system. It probably would still be in use and no one would ever bother with AK...Oh well.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:00 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott Shaull View Post
Yeah and the .30 cal machine guns and the BAR seem to last a long time than many people would give them credit for. The .30 cal either air or water cooled weren't the best weapon in class, but were more functional than some of the garbage others were peddling around.

Could you think if he had made an Assault Rifle system. It probably would still be in use and no one would ever bother with AK...Oh well.
Yeah, what could have been...unfortunately, he died part-way through the design process of the HP-35. At least FN continued on with making the HP-35 his way, and I'm sure they're happy they made that decision every day. I sometimes wonder if FN is getting royalties from all those pistol manufacturers that copied John Browning's HP-35 operation in their pistols.

I still think that one of the best assault rifle designs post-World War 2 was the Enfield EM-2. It sucks that the US were politically such bullies in NATO at the time - that .280 round was also being tested with the prototypes of the FAL and the CETME-58, and it was a damn sight better than the 7.62mm NATO and the later 5.56mm NATO.

Last edited by pmulcahy11b; 05-18-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:50 PM

P-35's story is kind of complicated, and actually more Dieudionne Saive's creation in its final form than Browning's -- Browning designed a striker fired pistol that used Saive's double-stack magazine capacity to get the mag capacity required by the French military contract they were competing for. The production version of the pistol used the lockwork Browning had designed (which is where the verbiage about Browning's patent on the slide comes from) but otherwise it was mostly sorted out by Saive (who later went on to design the FAL).

(And complete agreement on the EM-2 and the British 280 round.)

Tags
polls, weapons