RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 11-17-2017, 08:01 PM
Registered Registrant

Some interesting photos of British forces during the Cold War era can be found here http://coldwarwarriors.proboards.com...al-photographs
The forum itself seems to have fallen into disuse but there's still some good fodder for gaming to be found there.
The Northern Ireland images are particularly good and while the Falklands section is good, many of the photos are ones that have been seen in newspapers/TV etc. etc. over the years (so nothing particularly new there...)
And the last section titled "Pics from book" suffers from the poster not keeping his image posting site up to date, none of the images show up anymore.

While some photos have been censored, others haven't and could be given the pencil shading treatment. I was particularly interested to see the images from the sub-forum titled "Old Skool SF". There's two photos of a particular Austrian rifle from the late 1970s that are incredibly intriguing to me.
http://coldwarwarriors.proboards.com...4/old-skool-sf

Last edited by StainlessSteelCynic; 11-17-2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 11-17-2017, 11:38 PM

I'm guessing the AUG is one from a local unit, possibly in the Middle east?
Old 11-18-2017, 12:24 AM
Registered Registrant

Given the look of the background and the relationship between the UK and this nation, I'm guessing Oman?
Old 11-18-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Given the look of the background and the relationship between the UK and this nation, I'm guessing Oman?
Downloading the colour pic with an AUG and I noticed it is called Oman7.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:49 PM

Well,
Might as well let the cat out of the bag, as I have crossed the halfway mark in writing the thing.

I am currently working on a little adventure called "Charters of Freedom" which will be the PCs working for MilGov on a mission to recover the Declaration of Independence and Constitution from a vault in Mount Weather before New America does. It will be set in early to mid 2002 and I hope it allows me to do a kind of "Lord of the Rings" like saga where a grand adventure is sought to recover two of the most important documents in American History..before New America does.

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 12-01-2017, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Sounds cool, Jason. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048

Last edited by Raellus; 12-01-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:24 PM

Ooh yes
Old 12-02-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weiser View Post
Well,
Might as well let the cat out of the bag, as I have crossed the halfway mark in writing the thing.

I am currently working on a little adventure called "Charters of Freedom" which will be the PCs working for MilGov on a mission to recover the Declaration of Independence and Constitution from a vault in Mount Weather before New America does. It will be set in early to mid 2002 and I hope it allows me to do a kind of "Lord of the Rings" like saga where a grand adventure is sought to recover two of the most important documents in American History..before New America does.
Are there any pics that you could use?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weiser View Post
Well,

That may also be where the Liberty Bell was supposed to be evacuated to, which would make for its own transportation issues (it masses 900 kilograms). It could be as important as the documents, since it can't be easily forged and is a more physical symbol.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:46 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
That may also be where the Liberty Bell was supposed to be evacuated to, which would make for its own transportation issues (it masses 900 kilograms). It could be as important as the documents, since it can't be easily forged and is a more physical symbol.

The sensible solution would be to have a subterranean vault directly below the Liberty Bell to have it lowered into and sealed when other national treasures are being secured: similar to the arrangement for the US Constitution as described in Howling Wilderness, IIRC.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallShadow View Post
The sensible solution would be to have a subterranean vault directly below the Liberty Bell to have it lowered into and sealed when other national treasures are being secured: similar to the arrangement for the US Constitution as described in Howling Wilderness, IIRC.
They did bore corings and then decided it made more sense to move the Bell to Mount Weather rather than try to build an H-Bomb-proof bunker in the middle of downtown Philadelphia with a system to raise and lower a one ton assembly of wood and metal (particularly since it's right next to Independence Hall, and any damage to that building would be unthinkable). Also, note that the vaults for the Constitution and Declaration are for normal safe-keeping; in case of a nuclear attack, they were to be evacuated to Mount Weather because those vaults are not rated for a nuclear strike on DC.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
They did bore corings and then decided it made more sense to move the Bell to Mount Weather rather than try to build an H-Bomb-proof bunker in the middle of downtown Philadelphia with a system to raise and lower a one ton assembly of wood and metal (particularly since it's right next to Independence Hall, and any damage to that building would be unthinkable). Also, note that the vaults for the Constitution and Declaration are for normal safe-keeping; in case of a nuclear attack, they were to be evacuated to Mount Weather because those vaults are not rated for a nuclear strike on DC.
It actually is...how well it does depends on the size of the warhead...

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...claration.html

Quote:
Despite Ferriero’s best efforts to conceal the government’s plan from America’s citizens, a.k.a potential future zombies, we do have a pretty good idea of how the Charters would be protected in the event of a zombie outbreak.

Line of defense No. 1: the “Charters Vault.” In 1953, during the Cold War, a “Charters Vault” was built and installed at the National Archives. “At the closing of the building each night, the documents and their protective display cases were lowered into the vault,” according to Atomic Audit: The Costs and Consequences of U.S. Nuclear Weapons Since 1940. “This was also done in the event of a nuclear attack.”
And more detail in the same article:

Quote:
One of the most difficult challenges facing doomsday planners was deciding what cultural treasures should be saved … Between 1979 and 1981, a government task force called the Cultural Heritage Preservation Group met to draw up priority lists. The Library of Congress’s “Top Treasures Inventory” includes a Gutenberg Bible, the Gettysburg Address and various papers of James Madison, Thomas Jefferson and George Mason. For the National Archives, which is seven blocks from the White House, the single most precious item would be the Declaration of Independence, followed by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Though the National Archives building has a 55-ton steel-and-concrete vault on the premises, the scenario calls for the evacuation of these and other documents, probably by helicopter, to an underground facility, if there is adequate warning time.
According to Time, the art, at least — and presumably the Charters as well — would be sent to Mount Weather, a Virginia complex known to include a bunker that would serve as one of the sites the government would retreat to in the case of a nuclear strike. Whether this is still the plan, we can’t say for sure.

“When I was at the Archives in the eighties and first half of the nineties, we had a list of the highest-priority items (including the ‘Charters’) that would be protected in case of a national emergency,” Trudy Huskamp, a former Archivist of the United States from 1993 to 1995, e-mailed from the Marshall Islands. “I assume there is still such a list; however, I don’t know where the items would be relocated.”
So yeah, the vault was rated to survive a nuke, but the plan was not for the Charters to remain there. And to quote Howling Wilderness (p.34) (Yuck!)

Quote:
As a side note, the National Archives was closed at the time of the attack. When the bomb destroyed the White House, the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, the two most
important documents in American history, were in their normal nocturnal resting place: a 50-ton subterranean vault designed to protect them from fire, flood, earthquake, and (of course)
nuclear attack. In 1998 a special team recovered them and respectfully transported them to a similar vault in Mount Weather. With the Civgov evacuation, the vault was sealed with
concrete.

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).

Last edited by Jason Weiser; 12-07-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:47 PM

That's right, I had forgotten that Mosler (who also worked on the Greenbrier site) had tested a vault during the Priscilla shot (a 37-kiloton test). The Mosler vault was replaced about a decade ago with a Diebold (Mosler having gone out of business in 2001), and I had notes at the time that the Mosler wasn't designed to resist modern warheads, so I overstated the vulnerability.