RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default How Would You Go Home?

Hangfire7 08-26-2008, 11:25 PM The Task Force 34 question had me wondering.

If you were one of the poor souls left behind by the task force, either because there wasn't enough room, or you didn't get the word or just couldn't make it. How would you find your way home? And by what route?

I mentioned in other posts that I wrote a campaign back in 91 on the PCs finding, rebuilding and then flying home in a B-17. Alas, it never got to be played. But, if you were a T2K character that could be possible. Or some similiar aircraft. At this point I would think something like a C-130 or a P3 Orion would do nicely. In this case the big issue would be fuel, but it could be had via the North Sea, Romania, coal and shall processing, and trade via the middle east.

I wager that one could even put in desel engines in an aircraft with the advent of modern alloy engines and as long as the craft doesn't fly to high so that the liquid cooling system freezes.

As I mentioned the otherday a Blimp would work also, slower but safer than a home repaired aircraft. And you would have more cargo capacity.

Or, if you were able and this is more traditional. One of the many 10 to 20 meter sailboats as long as you leave at the right time of year and have a few key members of the crew who are decent sailors. As I said in another post the Southern Route is longer but safer.

So, how would you folks find your way home? <Okay you in Europe don't say, "I'd walk."> For a moment pretend you are an American and if you can't do that, then a Canadian, and you want to go home."

Targan 08-26-2008, 11:40 PM Sailboat for sure. I've been able to navigate at sea since I was 8.

weswood 08-27-2008, 12:06 AM Sailboat for me too. I'd have to find someone to sail it and plot the course though.

Trailer_Park_Jawa 08-27-2008, 12:06 AM Well, I'm a Californian. So getting from Germany to the East Coast of America is just part of the battle. How to I get home to CA from there and is there a home for me to return too?

So, I missed the boat? Hmm. I would work to find an aircraft or ship to cross the Atlantic. Making my way down to CENTCOM seems too dangerous.

The Corpus Christi seems to be the only sub working in the Atlantic after Task Force 34. I'm sure it might make a few rounds back and forth. Of course in real life my skills wouldn't warrant a visit from the last sub but in T2K I'd possess something the govt cant live without.

Mohoender 08-27-2008, 12:15 AM Sailboat is certainly the best option especially as you have so many of them and you can cross the Atlantic on fairly small ones if you are stubborn enough.

Some fishing boat can be working too again but you'll need the bigger ones and enough fuel (Ethanol or Methanol won't do as they will reduce the ship's maximum range).

An old B-17 will be difficult to find, especially as your team might have already used the only flying one. At most Europe has 2: 1 in Enland and 1 in France. However, it will be easier to put an hand on an old Douglas DC-3 or an old Junker Ju-52 (DC-4 is an option too). France still has several, I think you can find some in Spain, Italy, Greece (I'm sure about that one), Turkey, Denmark... Build in some extra tank won't be that difficult and these planes are more than reliable. There is also a workable Flyingboat "Dornier Do-24" somewhere in Germany (That one could be fun). You could also adapt a Canadair for that. If you have time (and actually you do, aside from some fightings), you can get in any air museum and get some old aircraft to work again (if you have a good mechanic of course)

In Twilight 2000, why not walking back home by the way, through the North Pole. Ok that will be more than horrific but, at least, you'll get ice for your whiskey. That's a good point even if you freeze to death when getting halfway .

When you want to get home that bad, anything can become an option.

Targan 08-27-2008, 12:51 AM Well, I'm a Californian. So getting from Germany to the East Coast of America is just part of the battle. How to I get home to CA from there and is there a home for me to return too?Good point. Home for me is either Australia or New Zealand (I'm a dual citizen). Big job, really, really big job for me to get ALL the way home for real.

Hangfire7 08-27-2008, 01:55 AM Good point. Home for me is either Australia or New Zealand (I'm a dual citizen). Big job, really, really big job for me to get ALL the way home for real.

Not really man, when you think about the poor guy who was a Korean laborer with the Japanese in WWII, captured by the Russians, then Captured by the Germans then Captured by the Russians again. He last I heard was in the Ukraine I think and he finaly was able to contact home and his mother who was surprisingly still alive. I found it hard to beleive. So you want to talk about a long road home

As for you Targ, let me see. Well, just call you Marco friggin Polo.

Cross into France, make it to the Med, cross the Med, then cross down to Saudi Arabia or Africa and head east. Unless you want to follow Marco Polos route until you hit about India then Sri Lanka and then jump from there.

OR, all the way to Thailand and work your way down the Mala Penninsula which could give you some VERY INTERESTING CAMPAIGNING.

Jawa, I live in Cali too. The route I would take,

English Canal to UK. Then one of two routes, N. which is shorter but colder. Hit the Iceland, then Greenland then Nova Scotia, up the St. Laurence into the Great Lakes and then get off in at Duluth and head WEST, its only four states to the Pacific. When you hit the Snake and Columbia river you can ride a boat to the sea. From there head South, its right next door.

Another route,

Cross the Atlantic like before, make your way south <assuming you still have a small vessel like a 10 or 12 meter sailboat or larger> into the Gulf of Mexico, get off, cross into Baja Cali, aquire a boat or passge across the Sea of Cortez, And either hump it up North, aquire a horse, or another boat and Sail North.

And I am begining to see a pattern here folks. If anyone wants to go home on their own, they are going to need sailing skill. <Why do they not make a distinction between small boat handling and sailboat handling? I can handle a motorboat from 12 footers up to 50 with ease, just remember boats do not have breaks. As for sailboats, well I haven't sunk one......yet But give me time.

Targan 08-27-2008, 02:17 AM <Why do they not make a distinction between small boat handling and sailboat handling?>Gunmaster does.

Hangfire7 08-27-2008, 02:30 AM Gunmaster does.

What is this gunmaster of which you and others have spoken? I am wholly unfamiliar with them. Explain and of course I shall google as well.

Targan 08-27-2008, 02:37 AM What is this gunmaster of which you and others have spoken? I am wholly unfamiliar with them. Explain and of course I shall google as well.Gunmaster is an unauthorised rules add on for Harnmaster. There are several versions of Gunmaster (for the different versions of Harnmaster) available for download from www.warflail.com. I helped write Gunmaster and I have converted Cyberpunk:2020 and T2K to Gunmaster (each conversion took more than a year of work). Only my player group uses Gunmaster:2020 and Gunmaster:2000 but if there was enough interest I would make the conversions available to others.

DeaconR 08-27-2008, 06:37 PM Targan should more be called Captain Bligh since he seems to want to sail.

pmulcahy 08-27-2008, 06:52 PM The Task Force 34 question had me wondering.

If you were one of the poor souls left behind by the task force, either because there wasn't enough room, or you didn't get the word or just couldn't make it. How would you find your way home? And by what route?

Backstroke...!

Hangfire7 08-27-2008, 09:11 PM Backstroke...!

LOL Paul, I have seen army men try to swim. The key word is "try"

pmulcahy 08-27-2008, 09:36 PM LOL Paul, I have seen army men try to swim. The key word is "try"

Ahh, you forget that my stepmonster was a Marine and I spent my teenage years in Hawaii. Sort of learned how to swim by osmosis.

Hangfire7 08-27-2008, 09:40 PM Ahh, you forget that my stepmonster was a Marine and I spent my teenage years in Hawaii. Sort of learned how to swim by osmosis.

Argh Paul, i have blotted those memories with copious amounts of hops and barely soda Then again the time when those two things went together in my life hops and barely soda may have clouded my mind a good bit as well

Targan 08-28-2008, 12:28 AM Targan should more be called Captain Bligh since he seems to want to sail.When I was seven my mum left my dad for a giant Australian fisherman and less than a year later I found myself living permanently on a small, otherwise uninhabited island in the Dampier Archipelago off the NW coast of Western Australia, in a tent on the beach. I spoke to my teacher via ship to shore radio (she was 1000km away in Meekathara). Every day I was out on the ocean and because I was too small to hold a rod to catch the enormous fish we were catching they stood me on a box and taught me to steer the boat. So I was effectively a professional fishing boat skipper at the age of eight.

Hangfire7 08-28-2008, 01:17 AM When I was seven my mum left my dad for a giant Australian fisherman and less than a year later I found myself living permanently on a small, otherwise uninhabited island in the Dampier Archipelago off the NW coast of Western Australia, in a tent on the beach. I spoke to my teacher via ship to shore radio (she was 1000km away in Meekathara). Every day I was out on the ocean and because I was too small to hold a rod to catch the enormous fish we were catching they stood me on a box and taught me to steer the boat. So I was effectively a professional fishing boat skipper at the age of eight.

That storey is just so wrong. An 8 year old skipper of a fishing boat, oh man oh man.

Targan 08-28-2008, 02:12 AM That story is just so wrong.Many of the stories in my life are very wrong. Its probably why I'm so f**ked up. I have to say though, living on an uninhabited island when you are eight teaches you some very handy skills. When I was hungry and on shore I would walk to the cliffs at either end of the beach where I lived and forage for rock oysters with my pocket knife, eat 'em raw. I became skilled at catching small game and finding water too. And my weatherlore skill was peaking at an early age.

DeaconR 08-28-2008, 02:24 AM Hm. I'm sort of shocked that things are so close to what I suggested--except of course there is no way that you deserved such a fate. Nevertheless like Bligh you certainly demonstrated courage and ability. You probably could sail from the North Sea to the Antipodes.

copeab 08-28-2008, 03:08 AM I wager that one could even put in desel engines in an aircraft with the advent of modern alloy engines and as long as the craft doesn't fly to high so that the liquid cooling system freezes.

You don't need modern alloys. IIRC, WWI zeppelins used diesel engines. A few WWII aircraft also used diesel engines, most of them flying boats. However, several versions of the Ju 86 bomber used diesel engines, including a high altitude (over 40,000 feet) recon version, which was able to operate unmolested for several months until countered by highly modified Spitfires.

Brandon

Hangfire7 08-28-2008, 03:16 AM You don't need modern alloys. IIRC, WWI zeppelins used diesel engines. A few WWII aircraft also used diesel engines, most of them flying boats. However, several versions of the Ju 86 bomber used diesel engines, including a high altitude (over 40,000 feet) recon version, which was able to operate unmolested for several months until countered by highly modified Spitfires.

Brandon

Yes, but how much weight=fuel would be saved if you went to an alloy engine instead iron and steel engines and engine blocks?

In my campaign where the PCs found the WWII Bomber at a museum that had collapsed but the airfract remained more or less undamaged, the idea was for the PCs to replace the engines with modern more effecient engines thus allowing for less weight and better fuel economy.

And then of course they would strip the aircraft of all non essential parts and fixtures to save fuel and increase range to return home.

Mohoender 08-28-2008, 03:43 AM You don't need modern alloys. IIRC, WWI zeppelins used diesel engines. A few WWII aircraft also used diesel engines, most of them flying boats. However, several versions of the Ju 86 bomber used diesel engines, including a high altitude (over 40,000 feet) recon version, which was able to operate unmolested for several months until countered by highly modified Spitfires.

Brandon

Hang is right you need alloys and very good engineers plus some kind of precise (may be specific) machine tools.

The aircrafts you are talking about (Ju-86 and Do-18) were using the Jumo 205C engine and that engine is made of melted very light alloys. Moreover, the Jumo 205C was a very complex type of engine.

Ok, it was WWII but that doesn't mean they were so backward. We easily forget that everything used today was invented in the 1930's. The actual equiments are mostly developments of these ancestors.

I'm not very found of wikipedia but that article seem to be complete and it might be a good point to start quick searches on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_diesel_engine

Here are some good articles on the Jumo 205C in english (I had one in french but I'm not feeling like translating; too much work already).

http://www.enginehistory.org/Diesels/CH4.pdf

http://hugojunkers.pytalhost.com/ju_jumo205_a1.htm

Whatever, the idea of diesel engine is a good one, so if someone is interested in pushing the subject, I'll be more than happy to read some more.

copeab 08-28-2008, 04:11 AM In my campaign where the PCs found the WWII Bomber at a museum that had collapsed but the airfract remained more or less undamaged, the idea was for the PCs to replace the engines with modern more effecient engines thus allowing for less weight and better fuel economy.

I might want a PBY with turboprops l)

Brandon

Mohoender 08-28-2008, 05:06 AM Two more sites that can be interesting about WWII preserved aircrafts.

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Index.html

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/pres/

Brandon you might find your PBY :ices_lol_

bigehauser 08-28-2008, 05:30 AM LOL Paul, I have seen army men try to swim. The key word is "try"

I happen to be one of the best swimmers in my unit(at least in terms of surviving in the water...no Mike Phelps material by any means), but this isn't saying much since we are a 25-30 man Signal Company.

Rainbow Six 08-28-2008, 11:13 AM However, it will be easier to put an hand on an Douglas DC-3 or an old Junker Ju-52

I flew on a JU52 about five years ago. Lufthansa German Airlines has one that flies around Europe doing promotional work. It was noisy as Hell, but really comfortable...

pmulcahy 08-28-2008, 11:18 AM I might want a PBY with turboprops l)

Brandon

I once watched a show on the National Geographic channel -- a couple in Nevada rebuilt a PBY (IIRC, it was a PBY) into a flying deluxe RV!

simonmark6 08-28-2008, 11:20 AM I saw something that looked a hell of a lot like a JU 52 when I drove past the airfield at Caen in France about 5-6 years ago. I don't know if it was working.

Mohoender 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM I saw something that looked a hell of a lot like a JU 52 when I drove past the airfield at Caen in France about 5-6 years ago. I don't know if it was working.

Yes it is I think, but it must be an Amiot AAC.1 (a french copy of the Ju-52). France produced the model for Germany during the war and 400 were built after the war. You might find some in Yougoslavia and Portugal. Portugal used them until 1975 and may be later.

Snake Eyes 08-28-2008, 01:28 PM Depending on the local situation I would seriously consider just hunkering down and going native. I'd have to be pretty motivated to get home in order to set out on a trek like that. I mean, I'd really have to believe quite strongly that there was even a home left worth returning to.

weswood 08-28-2008, 01:33 PM Depending on the local situation I would seriously consider just hunkering down and going native. I'd have to be pretty motivated to get home in order to set out on a trek like that. I mean, I'd really have to believe quite strongly that there was even a home left worth returning to.

That thought also crossed my mind. All my family and 99% of my friends live in the Houston/Baytown Texas area, major oil refineries around here. Baytown is on the target list.

Hangfire7 08-28-2008, 01:58 PM I actualy saw a PBY for sale at the last air show at Tustin Marine Corps Air Station, they promised it was the very last air show before they closed the base, just like the last five times. Although that time it was.

And among the displays of private vintage aircraft, a couple had a PBY for sale right next to the B-2 and the B-52 and the Marines in their LAV with weapons display, poor Wingers trying to look hard

The cost just $750,000. So if one is really really into them you can find them.

As for the DC-3, Dakota or whatever names you want to call the WWII cargo plane, the local airport has one which they actualy give rides in for about $200 per person, its all part of the confederate err comemerative Air Force brank here localy. However, when I lived in Long Beach, my office was in the aproach as was my boat to Long Beach international where alot of DC-3 still fly in regularly mostly from flights out of Mexico, or driving past on the freeway you can see half a dozen of them sitting by a hanger near the runway.

And one of my favorite ideas as a campaign. Fighting over the Boneyard near Pheonix Arizona, where there are aircraft that are still airworthy and can be put in the air tipping the balance all you need is fuel which is the major issue, but then we can have a limited fuel source like in Red Star, Lone Star, a single well producing a tiny amount of fuel that takes a while to pump enough to refine before you can get the planes in the air so you can limit air operations so as not to be a regional power but remain a local power who has a good weapons asset and a threat, but not a completely overwhelming threat.

And the PCs have to capture, steal the fuel/aircraft. Or on the otherside defend it, or even make a working aircraft <which being scratch built will be good for just that one mission, or as a result of poor quality fuel or a lack of fuel they can fly there and maybe most of the way home before crash landing and making the aircraft a total loss.>

Just some ideas of what one can do with old aircraft. Maybe I shall watch Flight of the Pheonix again for better ideas

Mohoender 08-28-2008, 02:04 PM That thought also crossed my mind. All my family and 99% of my friends live in the Houston/Baytown Texas area, major oil refineries around here. Baytown is on the target list.

They'll be refugees and they'll be a defeated army, I bet a lot of them would take a ride back home, most of them anyway. I have met some refugees already in my life (war refugees, including one from Kurdish Iraq in 1992). They all wanted to get home (99% of them, not to say 100%) and they only remained abroad as long as their life was threaten.

When you are away from home you always dream of something to remain even when everything seems lost. In that case, it is even more true as they won't have much to wait from staying in Europe.

In 1940, after Dunkerque more than 10000 french soldiers were in England, only 300 chose to stay. All others prefered to get back to an occupied France also several hundreds were taking a riscky ride back to England only a few months later.

Hangfire7 08-28-2008, 02:05 PM Spain and some of the South American Countries used the Foker Tri Motor and when I was an air cadet they had a few FORD TRI MOTORS which I mistook for the Foker.

As for going home, good point on hunkering down, and that more than likely is more realistic, then again I have almost no family to speak of, and those that I do have are old and in ill health as well as being in primary targets. And dang it my home would be nuked three or four times, so would my boat! Bastards! Don't nuke my boat! That alone would be cause for me to stay in Europe and continue the fight!

Hey Hauser, hows it going lil bro? As for swimming, you're swimming skills had better be good its huricaine season on "The Rock." How else are you going to make it to the chow hall when it floods

Mohoender 08-28-2008, 02:17 PM As for going home, good point on hunkering down, and that more than likely is more realistic, then again I have almost no family to speak of, and those that I do have are old and in ill health as well as being in primary targets. And dang it my home would be nuked three or four times, so would my boat! Bastards! Don't nuke my boat! That alone would be cause for me to stay in Europe and continue the fight!

If they stay to continue the fight, yes they might want to stay. Actually, for that reason some might be very willing to stay.

Nowhere Man 1966 08-28-2008, 02:20 PM Backstroke...!

Expose myself to radiation, hopefully grow wings or get the power of flight by any other means. Wait a minute, I forgot, this isn't the Gamma World forum.

Chuck M.

P.S. That's probably the method Michael Phelps would use.

Nowhere Man 1966 08-28-2008, 02:24 PM You don't need modern alloys. IIRC, WWI zeppelins used diesel engines. A few WWII aircraft also used diesel engines, most of them flying boats. However, several versions of the Ju 86 bomber used diesel engines, including a high altitude (over 40,000 feet) recon version, which was able to operate unmolested for several months until countered by highly modified Spitfires.

Brandon

Hmmm, wonder how much range you can get out of something like the Goodyear Blimp? I doubt it would be over in Europe to use but I'm sure they have comparable blimps over there.

Diesel aircraft, I've heard there are a few out there today and there is even diesel motorcycles. I bet those would be tough to kickstart.

Chuck M.

Nowhere Man 1966 08-28-2008, 02:30 PM When I was seven my mum left my dad for a giant Australian fisherman and less than a year later I found myself living permanently on a small, otherwise uninhabited island in the Dampier Archipelago off the NW coast of Western Australia, in a tent on the beach. I spoke to my teacher via ship to shore radio (she was 1000km away in Meekathara). Every day I was out on the ocean and because I was too small to hold a rod to catch the enormous fish we were catching they stood me on a box and taught me to steer the boat. So I was effectively a professional fishing boat skipper at the age of eight.

Sounds like an interesting life, would make a good book. I've heard about kids in Australia going to school via radio and of course the Royal Flying Doctor's Service with the medivac planes and helicopters.

Chuck M.

Mohoender 08-28-2008, 02:34 PM Hmmm, wonder how much range you can get out of something like the Goodyear Blimp? I doubt it would be over in Europe to use but I'm sure they have comparable blimps over there.

Diesel aircraft, I've heard there are a few out there today and there is even diesel motorcycles. I bet those would be tough to kickstart.

Chuck M.

The range might be impressive (for the size of the aircraft) as these engines are consuming little fuel. Tanks might be the problem. The Zeppelin that burnt over New York was equipped with such engines.

Hangfire7 08-28-2008, 03:57 PM The Hindenburg burnt over Lakehurst New Jersey, its easy to confuse the two, one smell worse than the other

But that brings up the question, would you want to fly in a hydrogen filled lighter than air aircraft? Or would you be able to get a good supply of helium?

As for Blimps, hey lets not forget the Fuji Blimp and there is another one that floats around these days. I actualy think Goodyear has a couple. I know the Blimp Station for Good Year is in Carson just off the 405 Freeway.

So, do you folks in your areas have blimps?

Mohoender 08-29-2008, 12:14 AM I didn't know for Lakehurst, thanks but I have never shown that much interest in this accident. I know it as everyone one I think.

As I said, the one that was training next door was destroyed (I said 2007 in fact it was january 2008). I think, they are a two or three more in Europe that are capable of travelling across the Atlantic and the Germans are working on heavy types again. It seems that for some goods, they are much less expensive than any tranportation means. Zeppelin might become a common sight again.

If possible run for Helium but hydrogen can be easier to find. I would take the chance with it especially as I would be travelling way above trouble.

Building one will be a huge enterprise but not an impossible one.

Hangfire7 08-29-2008, 12:58 AM I didn't know for Lakehurst, thanks but I have never shown that much interest in this accident. I know it as everyone one I think.

As I said, the one that was training next door was destroyed (I said 2007 in fact it was january 2008). I think, they are a two or three more in Europe that are capable of travelling across the Atlantic and the Germans are working on heavy types again. It seems that for some goods, they are much less expensive than any tranportation means. Zeppelin might become a common sight again.

If possible run for Helium but hydrogen can be easier to find. I would take the chance with it especially as I would be travelling way above trouble.

Building one will be a huge enterprise but not an impossible one.

Huge?

I think its easier than one thinks.

Ruberized fabric, especialy with the modern lighter stronger fabrics.

More modern alloys,plastics and fiberglass making your carriage lighter.

Really, all you need is a gas bag or several in this case, then an outer fabric shell <this is optional, but I would preffer it for easy of maintenance and controlling your inflated bags durring building, as well as the loss of one bag won't disrupt your harness> A harness attatching the gas bags to the gondola.

The gondola, it does not have to be much. A few aluminum cargo pallets welded together with some walls could work fitted with the basics for the crew. An engine, I am thinking a propane or natural gas powered engine, again one made with alloys to make it lighter.

And several large tanks of compressed methane, propane or other natural gas for fuel. The weight of compressed gas would be lighter than liquid gas so the weight to energy benefit would be a distinct advantage.

And then having all the alloy materials, and spartan interior and cabin you now have larger cargo or passenger capacity.

Then you wait until the winds are right and the time of year is right and head west.

Oh, yes you also will have the issue of ballast and a means of dealing with ice should you go that high.

Anyhow that is a basic idea of what it I think it would take to put together a blimp to sail home.

Mohoender 08-29-2008, 01:16 AM I said Huge only because I was thinking of the situation in Europe but you are right. I totally agree.

kcdusk 08-29-2008, 04:27 PM 1. Home? This is t2k, there is no more "home".

2. Great question, cant believe it hasnt been asked before, its sooo obvious, i mean, its what most of the game is about ...

3. walking might not be a desireable option, but it might be the only one left. THe thought of crossing the ocean scares me ... especially if you dont have boating skills.

So i'd stick to the ground. Walk east, through russia/siberia (i'm assuming the population would be less and also less nuclear fall out in this deserted place), and try to cross over into alaska somehow. I dont know what hte distance is to cross that smallish water channel, but it doesnt look much on the map ...

Hangfire7 08-29-2008, 04:42 PM KC

That is a bit long, and I honestly would take my chances in the North or Mid Atlantic durring late spring of early summer than have to cross irradiated Europe, a mountain range, and VAST VAST VAAAAAAAAAAAST stepes that are baren and empty. The crossing of the Eurasian Continent is basicaly what you are saying. In the Twilight World that would take two or three years. Look at a map and see how many kilometers it is. And how many cities and towns exist. And alot of it is Siberia and then the Russian Far East which is again empty, isolated and COLD. BRRRRRR I have not so fond memories of my winter training in the Cali Mountains, and the idea of living through a Siberian or Far Eastern Winter oh man it makes my bones ache to think of it.

As for Crossing the Berring Sea. I have four words to make you reconssider;

The Most Dangerous Catch

That is the "little" spit of water you would have to cross. And you would most likely have to cross it in a sail powered vessel.

i say you are a braver man than I if thats the route you'd take

1. Home? This is t2k, there is no more "home".

2. Great question, cant believe it hasnt been asked before, its sooo obvious, i mean, its what most of the game is about ...

3. walking might not be a desireable option, but it might be the only one left. THe thought of crossing the ocean scares me ... especially if you dont have boating skills.

So i'd stick to the ground. Walk east, through russia/siberia (i'm assuming the population would be less and also less nuclear fall out in this deserted place), and try to cross over into alaska somehow. I dont know what hte distance is to cross that smallish water channel, but it doesnt look much on the map ...

weswood 08-29-2008, 05:55 PM 1. Home? This is t2k, there is no more "home".

I see one serious flaw in that plan, KC. You live in Australia, NOT the US.

pmulcahy 08-29-2008, 06:43 PM 1. Home? This is t2k, there is no more "home".

IIRC, the Bering Straits are about 90 miles across -- and the site of some of the most hellish weather on the planet. I'd rethink that one.

kcdusk 08-29-2008, 11:10 PM So ... no one else is coming with me eh?

I guess that means the dastardly soviets wont bother chasing me either?

Some good points though guys, especially that one about me living in australia ... I say "Going home II", from the USA to australia ... puts a different spin on it eh?

Hangfire7 08-29-2008, 11:21 PM So ... no one else is coming with me eh?

I guess that means the dastardly soviets wont bother chasing me either?

Some good points though guys, especially that one about me living in australia ... I say "Going home II", from the USA to australia ... puts a different spin on it eh?

That would be an interesting campaign for sure. And I would love to take part in it. Maybe in a year or two.

Mohoender 08-29-2008, 11:49 PM That would be an interesting campaign for sure. And I would love to take part in it. Maybe in a year or two.

I agree on the fact that it will be an interesting campain. Try to get an inuit or some artic specialist among the group (it might help). Nevertheless, all players would have get some surving skills and that makes it possible, if you had survived the cold winter of 1997/1998, you might have what it takes for the trip.

True, it is a long one, but you can expect to find almost no one after the Urals and there will be plenty of animals to hunt on the way (you'll be fighting more bears and wolves than soviets). To cross the Berring sea, some patience and a few good Kayaks will be better than a sailing boat.

kcdusk 08-29-2008, 11:56 PM Great to see a t2k thread take off and have 50+ posts in 2 days.

Hangfire7 08-29-2008, 11:57 PM I agree on the fact that it will be an interesting campain. Try to get an inuit or some artic specialist among the group (it might help). Nevertheless, all players would have get some surving skills and that makes it possible, if you had survived the cold winter of 1997/1998, you might have what it takes for the trip.

Or not, having lost a few toes or fingers

True, it is a long one, but you can expect to find almost no one after the Urals and there will be plenty of animals to hunt on the way (you'll be fighting more bears and wolves than soviets). To cross the Berring sea, some patience and a few good Kayaks will be better than a sailing boat.

Yo don't kayak do you? Most of the time they are less than dry. And sometimes not overly stable, certainly not well suited for the open ocean on a calm day let alone the Berring sea. And how long woul it take? Could you carry enough supplies? ARGH!!!

Dang Mo, you are possibly the bravest mofo if you are willing to take on the Berring and cross it in a kayak! I would sit on the shore and learn to like okay not like but choke down borchste and beets ICK! Or pancakes with sour creme until a slightly larger vessel comes along.

Mohoender 08-30-2008, 12:25 AM I agree but they are with no doubt well suited for that (they don't sink first) and inuits/eskimoes are using them all the time in the arctik (at least they were) and they were made for it (I even think british commandoes used them in Norway). You just have to remain near the ice shelf.

Your biggest problem is to use them without doing too much unwanted scuba diving.

But I'm neither an inuit nor an eskimo so I might be entirely wrong.

chico20854 08-30-2008, 12:29 AM To get an idea of what you'd be facing to get across Eastern Siberia & across the Bering Strait, get a copy of Louis Lamour's Last of the Breed - it's a great little story about a Native American USAF pilot who escapes from a Gulag camp in Siberia and escapes on foot. Lots of good ideas for what someone would face both from the environment and from the locals...

Mohoender 08-30-2008, 12:59 AM To get an idea of what you'd be facing to get across Eastern Siberia & across the Bering Strait, get a copy of Louis Lamour's Last of the Breed - it's a great little story about a Native American USAF pilot who escapes from a Gulag camp in Siberia and escapes on foot. Lots of good ideas for what someone would face both from the environment and from the locals...

Hé hé, you have been faster than me chico :biggrin: but you can try to find a copy of a few more movies.

1) Dersou Ouzala by Akira Kurosawa. It's about the Vladimir Arseniev's exploration of Siberia and about his meeting with a native: Dersou.

2) not as relevant but interesting, there is Urga by Nikita Mikhalkov. It's a about a russian truck driver in China meeting with a traditional Mongol.

3) you can also want to load Fukkatsu no Hi by Kinji Fukasaku (copyright free). It's a post apoc movie with humanity being destroyed. You'll find it on the net but you must get the Japanese version (hopefully with partial subtitles). It's much longer and better than the american realesed one and the hero makes a long trip back to Antartica.

Targan 08-30-2008, 01:33 AM So ... no one else is coming with me eh?No worries El-Tee, I'll take point, handle the EOD work and monitor any media we encounter like it aint never been monitored before. How about you watch our six and administer the payroll... and while you're at it maybe minimise our tax liabilities?

Hangfire7 08-30-2008, 02:11 AM No worries El-Tee, I'll take point, handle the EOD work and monitor any media we encounter like it aint never been monitored before. How about you watch our six and administer the payroll... and while you're at it maybe minimise our tax liabilities?

Aren't those the words utter by Peter-san in Green Berets just before, well we all know what happened.

What would have happened if the Duke answered the kid and told him the truth?

"Wa...was my Peter-san brave?"

"No, he was screaming like a little girl!"

Okay, I admit the margaruitas are talking but what a warped alternate ending.

Okay a fit of sanity washes over me.

What are some other methods of getting home we have not covered?

And the reins are off!

Lets try to get out freinds in Ozz home too! So how would we get them home?

You Canadians you just hitch a ride with the Americans. And you Europeans, well you are already home so its just a bit of a walk unless your British then you have a short swim.

So what are some of the routes you folks would take home?

Poor Merchant 08-30-2008, 07:08 AM They'll be refugees and they'll be a defeated army, I bet a lot of them would take a ride back home, most of them anyway. I have met some refugees already in my life (war refugees, including one from Kurdish Iraq in 1992). They all wanted to get home (99% of them, not to say 100%) and they only remained abroad as long as their life was threaten.

When you are away from home you always dream of something to remain even when everything seems lost. In that case, it is even more true as they won't have much to wait from staying in Europe.

In 1940, after Dunkerque more than 10000 french soldiers were in England, only 300 chose to stay. All others prefered to get back to an occupied France also several hundreds were taking a riscky ride back to England only a few months later.

Actually i married a refugee (from the civil war in Lebanon) and the last thing she wants to do is go home, even now, for a holiday (she now has UK citizenship) because it would bring back unhappy memories. Actually this is a pain for me because, selfishly, I'd like to go visit Baalbek, Krak de Chevalier and a bunch of other sites too. She has cousins in Damascus so Syria and Jordan would both be visited at the same time (I want to hit Petra too).

On the positive side she has excellent AFV recognition capabilities!

Mohoender 08-30-2008, 07:14 AM For my part, going back to France or Belgium, I would be coming from the Middle East. Then, I would go to Djibouti and from there around Africa or through the Sahara up to Tunisia (not that easy). I assume the Suez canal to be closed. I would have a bigger problem if stationed in the Carribean and an even bigger one if in the Pacific.

May I suggest that the citizens from UK in Europe can walk back home through the Channel tunnel. It would have been achieved right before the war and might not have been subjected to heavy attack. Can be an interesting adventure especially as the french might not be very helpful. I assume the old distrust to grow again, after all they burned Joan of Arc in the 15th century, sunk our ships at Mers-el-Kebbir and flunked our little operation with the Rainbow Warrior not so long ago (to anyone from UK don't take it personnal, I would have done the same if i had been in UK's place).

Mohoender 08-30-2008, 07:21 AM Actually i married a refugee (from the civil war in Lebanon) and the last thing she wants to do is go home, even now, for a holiday (she now has UK citizenship) because it would bring back unhappy memories. Actually this is a pain for me because, selfishly, I'd like to go visit Baalbek, Krak de Chevalier and a bunch of other sites too. She has cousins in Damascus so Syria and Jordan would both be visited at the same time (I want to hit Petra too).

On the positive side she has excellent AFV recognition capabilities!

So I was wrong about that one and I would have wished for your wife not to have that AFV recognition skill.

The only positive side might be that you married her (for you to say).

akula_au 08-31-2008, 07:43 PM I assume the old distrust to grow again, after all they burned Joan of Arc in the 15th century, sunk our ships at Mers-el-Kebbir and flunked our little operation with the Rainbow Warrior not so long ago (to anyone from UK don't take it personnal, I would have done the same if i had been in UK's place).

Ummm wasn't Joan of Arc killed by the Burgundians and the Rainbow Warrior was the Kiwis not the Brits.

Hangfire7 08-31-2008, 07:58 PM For my part, going back to France or Belgium, I would be coming from the Middle East. Then, I would go to Djibouti and from there around Africa or through the Sahara up to Tunisia (not that easy). I assume the Suez canal to be closed. I would have a bigger problem if stationed in the Carribean and an even bigger one if in the Pacific.

May I suggest that the citizens from UK in Europe can walk back home through the Channel tunnel. It would have been achieved right before the war and might not have been subjected to heavy attack. Can be an interesting adventure especially as the french might not be very helpful. I assume the old distrust to grow again, after all they burned Joan of Arc in the 15th century, sunk our ships at Mers-el-Kebbir and flunked our little operation with the Rainbow Warrior not so long ago (to anyone from UK don't take it personnal, I would have done the same if i had been in UK's place).

Getting home from the Caribean not be to difficult, since alot of the Islands and portions of S. America still speak French. So, from French Guayana to Haiti, to Africa up the coast to Spain and Home. It is an age old route that is well know and I would guess one of the safest.

As for from Tahiti and French Polyniaisa, that I would suggest, the southerly route at about 15 or is it 35 degrees S. EAST, hitting New Caladonia, Tonga <they speak French in those islands too> hitting Easter Island and then on to the Gallapagos, to Chile, N. to Panama and overland. Yes, go overland, I think it would be easier than risking going around the Horn in whatever sailboat you could get in T2K. And then on the Atlantic side cross over from there. I am guessing 2 three years travel tops, that includes wait time.

Damn, aren;t I the T2K travel agent

Who else needs a route home?

Mohoender 08-31-2008, 10:37 PM Ummm wasn't Joan of Arc killed by the Burgundians and the Rainbow Warrior was the Kiwis not the Brits.

Joan of Arc was captured by the Burgundians, sold to the British and burnt by them. The french agents were arrested by the Kiwis but the informations were given by London and, actually, by the Swiss.

Hangfire7 08-31-2008, 11:03 PM Joan of Arc was captured by the Burgundians, sold to the British and burnt by them. The french agents were arrested by the Kiwis but the informations were given by London and, actually, by the Swiss.

Ah-HAH!!!

And now we have a Swiss connection! See that proves they are waiting for the major powers to blow each other to pieces where they are helpless and then they will move in inpossing thier democracy values and forcing us to yodel, make clocks, chocolate, awsome watches and pocketknives.

Targan 09-01-2008, 12:00 AM As I've said before on another forum, isn't it ironic that the only terrorist attack ever committed in New Zealand was by the French?

pmulcahy 09-01-2008, 12:17 AM Ah-HAH!!!

And now we have a Swiss connection! See that proves they are waiting for the major powers to blow each other to pieces where they are helpless and then they will move in inpossing thier democracy values and forcing us to yodel, make clocks, chocolate, awsome watches and pocketknives.

No, people. (sigh) Do I have to once again explain the IKEA connection and the Swedish plan to take over the world?

Mohoender 09-01-2008, 01:23 AM Ah-HAH!!!

LOL

Of course, they are master spies after all

Mohoender 09-01-2008, 01:26 AM As I've said before on another forum, isn't it ironic that the only terrorist attack ever committed in New Zealand was by the French?

It was no terrorist, it was for the sake of world freedom as we all know that Greenpeace is a very dangerous terrorist group trying to blow atomic bombs all over :1panzer:

Mohoender 09-01-2008, 01:27 AM No, people. (sigh) Do I have to once again explain the IKEA connection and the Swedish plan to take over the world?

I alreaduy fell to that one. hard to get out of their grip.

Targan 09-01-2008, 02:07 AM It was no terrorist, it was for the sake of world freedom as we all know that Greenpeace is a very dangerous terrorist group trying to blow atomic bombs all over :1panzer:Its hard for me to have a sense of humour about it. I'm a New Zealander. I'll be pissed about the sinking of the Rainbow Warrior until the day I die.

Mohoender 09-01-2008, 03:30 AM Its hard for me to have a sense of humour about it. I'm a New Zealander. I'll be pissed about the sinking of the Rainbow Warrior until the day I die.

Sorry that you took it bad

As French we share that feeling in some ways but sorry I always find better to laugh about it. At least, now, you can understand why Europeans are fighting over issues that should be burried from centuries and why we often start wars over these issues. Send an e-mail to Segolène Royal, the male DGSE officer was her brother I think.

Brother in Arms 09-06-2008, 10:59 PM Well Home for me is Maine (though I currently live in Vermont)

If I was in Europe one must either take a boat or a plane....now I can't fly a plane and I don't know how to sail. So I'm not how I would return....in all likely hood though I would never get drafted into the Army and sent to Europe its far more likely that as soon as things started getting bad stateside I would bugged out and joined or created some kind of militia or irregular unit. Being the survivalist type who has plenty of food and ammunition just laying around the house it makes sense.

So I probably wouldn't actually make it to Europe.

Brother in Arms

Old 06-20-2016, 10:24 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Default Old-tech flight opportunities

Re: what kind of blimps are flying near you?
Last week a MetLife Blimp was circling Harrisburg on a Saturday.
And a few days ago, there was a Ford(?)/Fokker(?) TriMotor doing a great circle around the area, probably giving rides, taking off and landing at New Cumberland airport on the West Shore of the Susquehanna River.
Blimps: a source of topping-up helium for the ballonets might be found as close as your neighborhood grocery store or dollar store, if they sell gift/get well balloons. One tank might not be much, but if you scavenge a couple of malls and shopping plazas, yuu could garner quite a reserve for replenishing gas lost by leakage/gunfire.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Holy thread resurrection Batman

Nice.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:20 AM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

That is not dead, that in an archive coasts, and, with onset of Thread Ennuis, even bloom new posts!
Old 06-21-2016, 03:45 PM

Sailboat. Even your typical 26 footer is capable of making the Atlantic passage. In fact, boats as small as 10 feet have made the trip. a typical 40 footer is easily capable of making the passage with 6 to 10 persons.

And, as I can tell you, during the Twilight war, there would be THOUSANDS of "sailing gypsies" all through the Caribbean and South America trying to dodge the effects of the war. With very little need for fuel (I buy about 100 gallons a year for my 26 footer), they could be fairly "self-sufficient" in the Gulf region.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:42 PM

I have not given it a lot of thought, but my first thought would be to take the short boat trip to Alaska, then travel back to home.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:44 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Stolen French Fishing Boat
Old 06-22-2016, 07:54 AM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallShadow View Post
That is not dead, that in an archive coasts, and, with onset of Thread Ennuis, even bloom new posts!
That was quite clever, I'm just glad the world we're talking about doesn't feature eldritch horrors because I'd have a hard enough time getting home as it is - I'd be joining Targan on the long trek to "down under" and the last thing we'd need is to be worrying about "things man was not meant to know"...
Old 06-24-2016, 06:59 PM

Default Me and mine on the Constellation

If yer gona dream, dream big and fun.
Tis better to see them afor they see you.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallShadow View Post
Re: what kind of blimps are flying near you?
Last week a MetLife Blimp was circling Harrisburg on a Saturday.
And a few days ago, there was a Ford(?)/Fokker(?) TriMotor doing a great circle around the area, probably giving rides, taking off and landing at New Cumberland airport on the West Shore of the Susquehanna River.
Blimps: a source of topping-up helium for the ballonets might be found as close as your neighborhood grocery store or dollar store, if they sell gift/get well balloons. One tank might not be much, but if you scavenge a couple of malls and shopping plazas, yuu could garner quite a reserve for replenishing gas lost by leakage/gunfire.
I remember seeing the Goodyear blimp several times, one time in 2001, it flew low over my house and scared my poor cats as it was going back to Akron from Pittsburgh. It covered the implosion of Three Rivers Stadium.

Tags
adventures