RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 05-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Banned

Default Possible Module Followups

Looking for ideas for new releases for possible module followups along the lines of the Return to Europe series

Things like possibly a follow up to Kings Ransom or Armies of the Night or Urban Guerrilla - what would people be interested in the most

Not a rewrite in any way but a return to familiar areas later in the timeline - i.e. for instance Kings Ransom and actually see what the effects would be if the raid on the conference had occurred as postulated - or looking at US or French forces in Iraq versus the Soviets and their Iraq allies as a follow up to the RDF
Old 05-19-2017, 07:37 PM

A follow-up to King's Ransom would be good. Getting caught up in the last Soviet offensive in the Middle East...though any vets of Europe would be reminded of Kalisz...

Old USMC Adage
Old 05-20-2017, 05:32 PM
Banned

Actually the last Soviet offensive in Iran is probably going to end up with the Soviet version of Kalisz - especially with the hints dropped in Kings Ransom as to the instablity of the Tudeh and that one unit in particular - wondering if it might be more like the Battle of Leipzip when the Saxons joined the Prussians against Napoleon and tipped the battle against him

Especially given the 2300 history and the Iranian Saudi war of 2008 - thats a pretty strong hint that the Soviet last offensive doesnt go very well
Old 05-21-2017, 12:01 AM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

I would love to see sequels to Armies of the Night, Allegheny Uprising, and Going Home (or, "Left Behind" as it were).
Old 05-21-2017, 09:48 AM

It feels like it would be beyond the scope of the rules as they stand, but I'd like to see things move up in scale. How do these broken countries knit themselves back together? {I know that answers exist in 2300AD, but bear with me}

That's probably not helpful to the original question, so I will continue to ponder.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:42 PM
Banned

Remember that the 2300AD timeline is more a guideline that an actual timeline that has to be followed by Twilight 2000 - for one big reason that so much of it is vague (on person I suspect and there was no inkling that the Twilight 2000 timeline development was going to get suspended by GDW going out of business)

this leaves flexibility in followups - for instance one thing that writers could do is leap forward a couple of years (with Marc Miller's agreement of course) for a followup - i.e. you wouldnt necessarily have to have it set in the early spring of 2001 which is where the released modules and sourcebooks pretty much ended -

also Marc is open to some changes in the proposed timeline as was suggested in Howling Wilderness and the Challenge Magazine articles - not wholesale revision but some modifications, for instance, that would resolve discrepancies between the various modules - even things like work how New America's plans being fully revealed by the events of Kidnapped might bring CivGov and MilGov together faster, at least on a military level, in operations against New America - i.e. the enemy of my enemy is my friend - especially after the plans to subordinate CivGov become known
Old 05-21-2017, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallShadow View Post
I would love to see sequels to Armies of the Night, Allegheny Uprising, and Going Home (or, "Left Behind" as it were).
Actually thats one thing I am looking into - a possible sequel to Going Home where the DIA works with whats left of the US command structure and armed forces in Europe to try to get the cutoff XI Corps back to German Army lines and possibly home - or to reinforce CENTCOM
Old 05-22-2017, 12:36 PM

What would be an interesting module would be one detailing The Saudi War (2010 to 2013) from the original Traveller:2300 game.
France, Great Britain, Bavaria, Japan and Egypt occupied the Saudi oil fields in 2008 (to assure oil production for Europe) replacing United States forces which had been in the region since the start of World War III. Iran objected to the occupation and the Saudi War (2010 to 2013) began with an Iranian attack on the occupation forces and ended with the establishment of a buffer zone along the northern edge of the Saudi peninsula.

Thus would could be the third sourcebook of a trilogy detailing the Persian Gulf which started with RDF Sourcebook and then maybe one detailing the period 2002 to 2010 and the the final sourcebook detailing The Saudi War.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Banned

Have sold 200 so far so I would say my writing and approach has definitely appealed to a lot of people.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:29 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Have sold 200 so far so I would say my writing and approach has definitely appealed to a lot of people.
This isn't about Kenya.
1. Little or no material written about the region.
2. No published modules for the region.
3. No later released like 2300 to contradict.

The subject is Howling Wilderness and your attempt to enlist (for free) persons to supply material for a rewrite to the V1 and V2 timelines of T2k and rewrite the timeline of 2300 AD.

Side stepping isn't getting it done. Support your argument with sources if you can.

The U.S. (in 2300 AD) is a second tier power, like modern day France or India. Not able to project power really outside their region and still not someone your going to fight or beat easily either.

The U.S. in 2300 AD is not a super power. So your going to have to convince the fan base why it is necessary to rewrite the history of two games.

I don't really think you have made a single convincing argument yet.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:47 PM
Banned

US in 2300 AD is a major power - not a super power - and never said they were a super power. And they can project power outside their region or they wouldnt have colonies or a space fleet or been a crucial part of the Kafer War.

Also much of the fan base has a lot of objections to HW and the drought - which can be addressed very easily without having to make the US a super power again.

The fallacy of many of the canon defenders is that unless you screw the US totally up they win the war and become a super power again.

That is incorrect - and 2300AD already addresses that and no need to change it all. The US from its inception until the Spanish American War really didnt stick its nose into other people's business outside of the Western Hemisphere. It was a regional power - not a super power and not a world power. It really wasnt until WWII that it became a true super power.

The Twilight War brings that to culmination and the US afterward rejects interfering in the world as a whole - it goes back to being a regional power as it was for most of its existence. Thus it allows the French to take the reins and is content to sit back and concentrate on itself and its own area.

And taking back the Southwest from Mexico doesnt change that in any way - still a regional power, still a major power but only regional and not super power. And Mexico still has its expansion to the South and into the Caribbean as seen in the canon.

So a few minor changes to HW make for a much more playable NA game where its not Aftermath, its not Fallout, its not Gamma World with human beings rare and far between - instead its the US of the first few NA modules that actually showed a very damaged country trying to recover - which is why it gave up hundreds of armored vehicles, artillery pieces, planes, etc.. in Europe to bring those men home to do so.

As for wasting my time and money - I am not wasting any money writing and what I do I do because I love it and its a labor of love - and also because it gives people new material for a game that I love.

And FYI - Africa is in 2300AD - and if you look at what I did in Kenya I basically set up the creation of Azania with the expansion of South Africa and thus presaged the canon for that area. And also the French expansion into Africa as well mentioned in the RDF and in 2300AD

As for convincing argument - I am not here to convince those who wont be convinced - I tried that several years ago and let myself get talked out of contacting the owner of the canon to see if he was interested in new material because I had several members state that what I was doing was a fool's errand. And thus I abandoned the effort as I couldn't convince others about the validity of the idea until I decided last year on my own to do it - and now we have new material.

Thus I will write and if Marc publishes it those who enjoy it will buy it and support it and those who wont will not - and that's ok - as was said in literally every module published originally in the 80's and 90's the material published was up to the GM if he wanted to use it or change it - and they will do so again

Oh and I dont intend to enlist others in what I am doing - I am encouraging others to write new canon material of their own and get it published - frankly I would love to see a tidal wave of new canon material not only revitalize the game but expand it and make it as popular as it ever was before. If that happens I will be totally happy even if what they write and publish goes against any possible ideas I have.

If not and I turn out to be the only writer of new canon material then so be it - but based on what Raellus posted here I am betting I am wrong.

Last edited by Olefin; 06-16-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Something that might be cool is a write-up of units that never were but that probably should have been. For example, the U.S. 13th Airborne Division. It was formed during WWII but never saw action. It was dissolved shortly thereafter.

It stands to reason that it was resurrected during WWIII. If so, where did it go? What did it do? What was it's TOE? How was it different than similar pre-war units... So-on-and-so-forth. Just in the United States Army, there are probably quite a few WWII-era divisions (especially infantry divisions) that, for whatever reasons, were not included in T2K canon. A sourcebook devoted to them would be neat. That said, it would have to be done really well in order not to unbalance canon.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 06-19-2017, 02:01 PM
Banned

You can see one aspect of this in the East Africa Sourcebook

I.e. the attempt to reactivate the 106th Infantry Division - they only got the 422nd fully formed and trained in time but the rest of the division never got fully formed - basically just the HQ and the 422nd.

The 1st Battalion got sent to Kenya

The 422nd Infantry Regiment was formed in early 1997 as part of a plan to reactivate the 106th Infantry Division. However the nuclear attacks on the US ended those plans, with only the 422nd Regiment fully formed and trained.