RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Writing/Role Playing Section > Post Apoc Creative Writing

Old 07-12-2009, 06:08 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Default A large double double.

A piece of garbage blowing down the deserted street ... thats what finally triggered my decision to get the heck out of this corner of hell and head home...

We were advancing to the rear after our latest run in with the Russian forces near Budapest, Hungary when we came into the town of Gyor. A staging area during the first major offensive by the Russians, Gyor was hit hard by conventional bombing and eventually abandoned. We were the survivors of an abortive raid to destroy the headquarters of the Russian 4'th Guards Tank Army resting near Kalisz Poland. A mixed force of British, Canadian and German special forces entered Poland from near Gdansk after being landed by submarine with instructions to create as much chaos as possible.

After two disasterous months and our forces being reduced to 8 men, we decided that it was time to return to our own lines. Coming into Gyor, we made our way down side streets looking for any houses that weren't already looted and also to escape a calvary patrol. Seeking shelter in a semi collapsed shed, I decided to go and scout for the next shelter when I saw it...

Where it came from and how it landed here... over 5000 miles from home I will never know... but the beaten and tattered brown paper coffee cup with a logo recognized by any Canadian worldwide, instantly brought flooding back memories of home. I risked getting discovered grabbing that relic of a forgotten time but to me... it became the most precious thing in my life.

I made my way back to the shed and suddenly unbidden a tune came into my mind...

American woman, stay away from me
American woman, mama let me be
Don’t come hangin’ around my door
I don’t wanna see your face no more
I got more important things to do
Than spend my time growin’ old with you
American woman, listen what I say.

American woman, get away from me
American woman, mama let me be
Don’t come knockin’ around my door
Don’t wanna see your shadow no more
Coloured lights can hypnotize
Sparkle someone else’s eyes
Now woman, I said get away
American woman, listen what I say.

American woman... Russian woman... every women... just let me be...

The hell with it... we weren't going back to the front lines...

We were going home!

(*Lyrics to American Woman Copyright by The Guess Who)