RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-26-2011, 01:58 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,167
Default PF 006 Lonestar.

For those of you who have been wanting a War......... The Members of Combined MARS and Science Team 13 enter a world of storm and slaughter to try and accomplish an impossible mission. They find themselves in a desperate, last-ditch battle against merciless savages. Buffeted by a killer storm, in a land filled with refugees, they join the Last Cavalry Unit in the fight for survival.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-26-2011, 03:01 PM
dragoon500ly dragoon500ly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Mississippi, USA
Posts: 2,357
Default

So TMP builds underground bases, recruits and stores teams around the country...and can't afford the 1,000 dollars for a satellite dish and has to take over the Johnson Space Center?!?!?!?!?!

The introduction of the First Cavalry Division (Lonestar) is an interesting and one with lots of room for development, not to mention the survivor gangs below the old border.
__________________
The reason that the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices chaos on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-26-2011, 03:22 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,167
Default

OMG do I really, really, really despise the whole Air cushioned vehicle as a Project Machine.

I really, really do. The SK-5 was a Navy toy for interdiction in inland waterways and swamps. The Mekong delta for sure. I hate it. Not that I am fond of boats anyway. This thing is an annoying pin pick for the bad guys, it zooms by, shoots wildly, and hauls ass out to avoid return fire...... Harrassment fire at best. Royally screwed if the terrain is not favorable.

I am opting that and the Bolthole afloat concept out. Completely along with the other two ACVs. Somebody at Timeline thought these were sexy and cool. Damned if I know why.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 AM
LBraden's Avatar
LBraden LBraden is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England
Posts: 148
Default

I can see the whole point of a Hovercraft in swampy terrain, it makes a lot of sense, however, if I was to run a game there, I would have this sort of loadout:

2x 1 Man hovercraft recon
1x Inshore Patrol Boat, Armed and with medium steel plate armour (think the boats from Vietnam
1x Medium sized fully enclosed boat - Science equipment (similar to size as -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyne_class_lifeboat or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersey_class_lifeboat )
1x Flatpack swamp boat - stowed on Science boat
__________________
Newbie DM/PM/GM
Semi-experienced player

Mostly a sci-fi nut, who plays a few PC games.
I do some technical and vehicle drawings in my native M20 scale. - http://braden1986.deviantart.com/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-27-2011, 07:08 AM
Matt W Matt W is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 234
Default

Hovercraft and helicopters have similar maintenance requirements. I suggest that the ACV units could be replaced with a couple of Chinooks (stats are already in Prime Base) although a "Jolly Green Giant" would be useful too.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-27-2011, 07:11 AM
mikeo80 mikeo80 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
So TMP builds underground bases, recruits and stores teams around the country...and can't afford the 1,000 dollars for a satellite dish and has to take over the Johnson Space Center?!?!?!?!?!
IMHO, this is not how I read this module. IF the First Cav and TMP can beat off the howling mobs from SOTB, then it might (repeat, might) be possible for the JSC to be used to contact Morrow Satellite. I do not read this as original planning. This is something for the GM to think about IF the team goes into the future. If they die at JSC, then do not worry about it.

My $0.02

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-28-2015, 07:43 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,167
Default

Decided to resurrect this one.

This is the largest single group most similar to pre-War America.

The 1st Cavalry Division is a nice touch, but the weaponry kills me. The author I felt was trying to hard to recreate the Old West. These guys were blue denim uniforms and ride horses. They carry Krag Jorgenson rifles and use gatling guns for support. Unless they need M1 tanks and Bradly fighting vehicles?

Personally, I like to think of it as all the elements are there just the right sequence of events and the people needed to make it happen aren't there.

So my stab at a plausible reason for the vast differences in the technology is the War hit the education and training establishment hard. Not only were universities lost to nuclear hits but, the population was decimated by war plagues as people came to the colleges and universities looking for help.

There was precious few left to pass on knowledge to many. Here and there someone passed on something even if it was some repair manuals and some tools.

So my take is the Morrow Projects greatest gift to the Lone Star Republic will be teaching the people and guiding the government to keep it a representative one like it is. I think they are churning out enough warriors to fight the Brotherhood.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-10-2015, 07:44 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,167
Default

So this is the 1st Armored Division Order of Battle for Desert Storm in 1991.

Seems close enough for me to consider what can be surviving equipment and units post the 19 November 1989 war date for 3rd edition.

Might be nice to put unit names and colors to the all horse conversions, and to know which units remain mechanized for the threat from the south.

http://www.tim-thompson.com/gwob1stcav.html

1st Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division

3d Battalion, 32d Armor (Fort Hood) (M-1A1)
2d Battalion, 5th Cavalry (Fort Hood) [M-2]
1st Battalion, 8th Cavalry (Fort Hood) [M-1]
2d Battalion, 8th Cavalry (Fort Hood) [M-1]

2d Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division

1st Battalion, 32d Armor (Fort Hood) (M-1A1)
1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry (Fort Hood) [M-2]

1st Cavalry Division Artillery

Battery A, 21st Field Artillery [Fort Hood] (MLRS)
Battery A, 333d Field Artillery (Fort Hood) (Target Acquisition Battery)
1st Battalion, 82d Field Artillery [Fort Hood] (M-109) [DS 1st Brigade]
3d Battalion, 82d Field Artillery [Fort Hood] (M-109A3) [DS 2d Brigade]

Cavalry Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division

1st Battalion, 3d Aviation (Fort Hood) (Attack; AH-64)
1st Battalion, 227th Aviation (Fort Hood) (Attack; AH-64)
Company D, 227th Aviation (Fort Hood) (Command)
Company E, 227th Aviation (Fort Hood) (Assault;UH-60)
2d Squadron, 1st Cavalry (-Air Troop) (Fort Hood) (attached from 2d Armored Division)
1st Squadron, 7th Cavalry (Fort Hood) (M-3)

1st Cavalry Division Support Command

Company F, 227th Aviation (Fort Hood) (AVIM)
15th Support Battalion (Forward) [DS 2d Brigade] (Fort Hood)
27th Support Battalion (Main) (Fort Hood)
115th Support Battalion (Forward) [DS 1st Brigade] (Fort Hood)
1st Cavalry Division Band (Fort Hood)
68th Chemical Company (NBC Defense) (Fort Hood)
157th Ordnance Detachment (TOW/Dragon)(Fort Hood) (attached)
4th Battalion, 5th Air Defense Artillery[Vulcan/Stinger/Avenger] (Fort Hood) [Battalion underwent several organizational transitions during deployment, most significantly gaining three additional Avenger Platoons (formed from personnel of 2d Armored Division's 2d Battalion, 5th Air Defense Artillery) and forming Battery D on 10 December 1990 to control the Avenger assets]
Reconnaissance Platoon, 22d Chemical Company (Frankfurt) (attached from 3d Armored Division)
8th Engineer Battalion (Fort Hood)
123d Engineer Detachment (Terrain) (Fort Hood)
557th Engineer Detachment (Terrain) (Fort Hood)
312th Military Intelligence Battalion (CEWI)(Fort Hood)
545th Military Police Company(Fort Hood)
13th Signal Battalion (Division MSE) (Fort Hood)

OPCON and Attached Units:

44th Chemical Company (NBC Defense) [company (-) consisted of only one smoke and one decon platoon in direct support of 1st Cavalry Division Support Command; one decon platoon served with 1st Brigade, 2d Armored Division; another decon platoon served with 1st Infantry Division] (Fort Hood)
413th Civil Affairs Company (USAR, TX)
145th Public Affairs Detachment (OK ARNG)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-10-2015, 08:35 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,167
Default

I must also do III Corps and the other tenant units at Ft. Hood.

The Ft. Sam Houston, and then process the Air Force bases in the region.

Texas has a military presence greater than some countries.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-11-2015, 07:34 PM
dragoon500ly dragoon500ly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Mississippi, USA
Posts: 2,357
Default

Lone star has a lot of holes...number one being the off-site bolt disguised as part of an oil rig. Living on the Gulf Coast, there is this little weather problem known as a hurricane, take the time to run NOAA's storm-tracker, there are lot of hurricanes that blow through the area, anyone want to take the odds on a Cat 4 or Cat 5 nailing the facility? Truely the odds of the facility lasting 150 years, makes one want to blow a few thousand dollars playing the lottery!

Then we have the hovercrafts, the absolute worst choice for moving through storm surges...I'd rather place them in Michigan and assign high dieroll modifiers for frost bite.

Parts of Lonestar I love, 1st Cavalry has shown up in several games, but I always convert the bolt hole to a land facility and trot out V-150!!!
__________________
The reason that the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices chaos on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-13-2017, 06:35 PM
.45cultist .45cultist is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Decided to resurrect this one.

This is the largest single group most similar to pre-War America.

The 1st Cavalry Division is a nice touch, but the weaponry kills me. The author I felt was trying to hard to recreate the Old West. These guys were blue denim uniforms and ride horses. They carry Krag Jorgenson rifles and use gatling guns for support. Unless they need M1 tanks and Bradly fighting vehicles?

Personally, I like to think of it as all the elements are there just the right sequence of events and the people needed to make it happen aren't there.

So my stab at a plausible reason for the vast differences in the technology is the War hit the education and training establishment hard. Not only were universities lost to nuclear hits but, the population was decimated by war plagues as people came to the colleges and universities looking for help.

There was precious few left to pass on knowledge to many. Here and there someone passed on something even if it was some repair manuals and some tools.

So my take is the Morrow Projects greatest gift to the Lone Star Republic will be teaching the people and guiding the government to keep it a representative one like it is. I think they are churning out enough warriors to fight the Brotherhood.
I was thinking of raising the division to WWI levels, .45 M1911's and S&W M1917 revolvers, either the more robust M1894 .30-30 or M1903 rifles. The M2HB sloldiers on and perhaps a copy of the M1919 variants. Khaki uniforms and Sam Brown belts, Patton swords and M1910 cav gear. But with the TNG armor, one could add more tanks.in reserve in the North. here is an example.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by .45cultist; 02-13-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-18-2017, 02:38 PM
tsofian tsofian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 140
Default

This is one of my favorite concepts for a module, but the execution is lacking. First off the idea that the badly outnumbered, poorly armed and disorganized savages are pushing the Texans back makes no sense. The Texans having running tanks but no aircraft makes no sense. The MP vehicles are not very practical. The scout vehicle is nearly useless. It might be cute to play on a pond but for it to be miles out to sea is just death waiting for its crewman.

The St Louis crew ran this at several conventions as the opening scenario. I've also run it for in house games. I change up things a lot. The Savages get a big silent partner who hammers the Texans before and during the invasion. The MP vehicles get a big of a makeover as well. The little recon hover gets replaced with a hefty ducted fan rotorcraft that has two seat, is fully enclosed can fly above ground effect and carries a minigun and a stinger pod as well as a suite of sensors and ECM and is very stealthy.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-24-2017, 02:05 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
I was thinking of raising the division to WWI levels, .45 M1911's and S&W M1917 revolvers, either the more robust M1894 .30-30 or M1903 rifles. The M2HB soldiers on and perhaps a copy of the M1919 variants. Khaki uniforms and Sam Brown belts, Patton swords and M1910 cav gear. But with the TNG armor, one could add more tanks.in reserve in the North. here is an example.
M1917 revolvers are far simpler for a lower tech level to produce than the M1911. The M1911 requires milling machines and highly trained machinists making multiple setups and many, many, cuts. I would stick with the M1903 for the rifle, as the modules Krag-Jorgenson's are mechanically more difficult with the rotary magazine to justify manufacture. Additionally, the M1903 has a three lug bolt (it's a Mauser copy after all) and a much stronger action. I would throw in a twist with M1903s in 7.62 NATO instead of 30.06 since that is the brass and dies the Republic had. Probably would nerf them a bit because of lower quality propellants do drop 2 points off damage.

For uniforms...... I would stick with the blue denim and stetsons for the cavalry... It's Texas and that is all the justification they need. On the other hand..... the WW1 khakis, canvas web gear, and doughboy helmets is perfect for the Infantry and Armor troops of the Republic... justify this by saying patterns came from collectors and museums post war salvage.

As for a machinegun... going with the BAR for everyone with the exception of the M1 and M2 coaxial MGs. That the Republic does not have the tooling or equipment to make disintegrating link belts, thus all such are hoarded for the tanks and IFVs.

Grenades...... German potato mashers.. the complicated fuses of even the MK1 pineapple or british Mills bomb are out of the Republics reach. The friction pull igniter is not. Therefore, Republic grenades are the wooden handle variety with HE, Frag, and smoke being most common with a large demo variety and a 2kg charge for Engineers being uncommon.

Totally Ok with swords, sabers, trench knives, maces, spears, and lances.. though I would suggest working up a quick reference chart for damage based on PC or NPC strength and modifiers against types of armors to keep game play moving.

Anti armor weapons.. none modern. The threat from the Brotherhood comes as a surprise.. the M1s are the only AT defense with infantry or cavalry improvising using HE grenades and demo packs in close defense. TMP members don't have time to teach making mines, pole charges, and rockets, plus there isn't time for the Republic to make them. The Republic is going to make a crash program to make molotovs and ship those to infantry or militia in the defense.

Artillery.... The Republic doesn't seem to have any. We might assume that self propelled and towed versions did not survive the nuke strike on Ft. Hood. Additionally, no mortars... I chalk that up to no pressing need with the highly mobile horse mounted tactics of the Cavalry versus low tech and unsophisticated tactics of previous bandit threats. Something the TMP won't have time to teach and the Republic has no time to build.

Communications....... write it down and send a rider. Everything is worn out, broken, cannabalized, or destroyed. Even phone lines are out without a means to insulate cables.

Fuel..... actually, in abundance. Oils, grease, gasoline, diesel, and solvents in significant quantities...... Distribution is primitive and inefficient. Pipelines are proposed with effort into how to make pipe, valves, and hardwared being researched. The Republic doesn't have significant smelting and casting infrastructure.

Food. Abundant, but primitive. Rations are cooked at field kitchens or field bakeries. Luxurious, nutritious, and wholesome compared to the field rations of centuries before. TMP members will be curious about the hard tack, dried beef, dried vegetables, or fruit of the infantry or cavalry marching rations. The garrison and forward field kitchens produce hot meals twice a day of cereals, soups, stews, and anything else that can be boiled, baked, or fried.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-24-2017, 07:07 PM
.45cultist .45cultist is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
M1917 revolvers are far simpler for a lower tech level to produce than the M1911. The M1911 requires milling machines and highly trained machinists making multiple setups and many, many, cuts. I would stick with the M1903 for the rifle, as the modules Krag-Jorgenson's are mechanically more difficult with the rotary magazine to justify manufacture. Additionally, the M1903 has a three lug bolt (it's a Mauser copy after all) and a much stronger action. I would throw in a twist with M1903s in 7.62 NATO instead of 30.06 since that is the brass and dies the Republic had. Probably would nerf them a bit because of lower quality propellants do drop 2 points off damage.

For uniforms...... I would stick with the blue denim and stetsons for the cavalry... It's Texas and that is all the justification they need. On the other hand..... the WW1 khakis, canvas web gear, and doughboy helmets is perfect for the Infantry and Armor troops of the Republic... justify this by saying patterns came from collectors and museums post war salvage.

As for a machinegun... going with the BAR for everyone with the exception of the M1 and M2 coaxial MGs. That the Republic does not have the tooling or equipment to make disintegrating link belts, thus all such are hoarded for the tanks and IFVs.

Grenades...... German potato mashers.. the complicated fuses of even the MK1 pineapple or british Mills bomb are out of the Republics reach. The friction pull igniter is not. Therefore, Republic grenades are the wooden handle variety with HE, Frag, and smoke being most common with a large demo variety and a 2kg charge for Engineers being uncommon.

Totally Ok with swords, sabers, trench knives, maces, spears, and lances.. though I would suggest working up a quick reference chart for damage based on PC or NPC strength and modifiers against types of armors to keep game play moving.

Anti armor weapons.. none modern. The threat from the Brotherhood comes as a surprise.. the M1s are the only AT defense with infantry or cavalry improvising using HE grenades and demo packs in close defense. TMP members don't have time to teach making mines, pole charges, and rockets, plus there isn't time for the Republic to make them. The Republic is going to make a crash program to make molotovs and ship those to infantry or militia in the defense.

Artillery.... The Republic doesn't seem to have any. We might assume that self propelled and towed versions did not survive the nuke strike on Ft. Hood. Additionally, no mortars... I chalk that up to no pressing need with the highly mobile horse mounted tactics of the Cavalry versus low tech and unsophisticated tactics of previous bandit threats. Something the TMP won't have time to teach and the Republic has no time to build.

Communications....... write it down and send a rider. Everything is worn out, broken, cannabalized, or destroyed. Even phone lines are out without a means to insulate cables.

Fuel..... actually, in abundance. Oils, grease, gasoline, diesel, and solvents in significant quantities...... Distribution is primitive and inefficient. Pipelines are proposed with effort into how to make pipe, valves, and hardwared being researched. The Republic doesn't have significant smelting and casting infrastructure.

Food. Abundant, but primitive. Rations are cooked at field kitchens or field bakeries. Luxurious, nutritious, and wholesome compared to the field rations of centuries before. TMP members will be curious about the hard tack, dried beef, dried vegetables, or fruit of the infantry or cavalry marching rations. The garrison and forward field kitchens produce hot meals twice a day of cereals, soups, stews, and anything else that can be boiled, baked, or fried.
All this is good stuff, I'll make M1911's a luxury item, extended to all semi-auto pistols by some, including bandits. Rangers and senators and wealthy ranchers will have them, some having plain working sidearms as well as BBQ guns(senators might have a pristine nickeled BBQ pistol they half know to use). Some Milling machines and lathes exist, but spend a third to half their production run making spare parts for the shop and the odd new machine. M1903's minus a full stock and bayonet lug are civvie hunting rifles, same stats minus a kilo or two. The Cav denim is a mark of the "elite".
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-24-2017, 08:28 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
All this is good stuff, I'll make M1911's a luxury item, extended to all semi-auto pistols by some, including bandits. Rangers and senators and wealthy ranchers will have them, some having plain working sidearms as well as BBQ guns(senators might have a pristine nickeled BBQ pistol they half know to use). Some Milling machines and lathes exist, but spend a third to half their production run making spare parts for the shop and the odd new machine. M1903's minus a full stock and bayonet lug are civvie hunting rifles, same stats minus a kilo or two. The Cav denim is a mark of the "elite".
Get the M1911 volume 1 and 2 by Jerry Kuhnhausen. There is production notes and materials data.... It is something like 45 machining setups for the slide alone to manufacture an M1911. M1911 Volume 1
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-25-2017, 03:30 AM
Project_Sardonicus Project_Sardonicus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 88
Default

One of the first thing any resource poor military ditches is a sidearm, better to have everyone equipped with some sort of working rifle.

I wonder if a model for the Cavalry would be something closer to Teddy Roosevelts Rough Riders? Which seemed to hit more the transitional stage the cavalry in Lonestar would be at.

e.g. mostly mounted infantry, whilst still having cavalry skills and starting to use light artillery and machine guns?

I think if the cavalry had faced any sort of serious opposition with modern rifles and the ammunition to practise marksmanship. Then high visibility blue uniforms with yellow stripes would be seen as an act of madness and lead to mutiny.

But if not and if communications are poor literally being able to see where your troops are on the field from a hill top with a telescope becomes an advantage

As it is it does raise an interesting question of what technology would a society rebuilding prioritise?

If radio communication was an essential way of getting fast reports from recon troops and moving limited forces where needed, would rebuilding even the most primitive of sets become an absolute priority?

Conversely if most of the foes you faced were bandits who couldn't shoot straight. Then would any rifle that shot accurately out to 200 yards however poor the ROF be all that you needed?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-26-2017, 07:34 PM
.45cultist .45cultist is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Get the M1911 volume 1 and 2 by Jerry Kuhnhausen. There is production notes and materials data.... It is something like 45 machining setups for the slide alone to manufacture an M1911. M1911 Volume 1
They are on my list as a hobby gunsmith.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-26-2017, 09:57 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
They are on my list as a hobby gunsmith.
I have all the M1911s, the M14, the S&W revolver books, and the Mossberg shotgun book. Definitely worth it if you own and want to work on any of those.

Sardonicus,

This Texas. If you're not sure, just ask. They will definitely remind you every third sentence or so that you are, in fact, in Texas. They will have sidearms. Cowboy cult. Gun fighter lore. Code of the West. Revolvers and autos of all types will be on every adult that can purchase one.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.