RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-13-2009, 04:02 PM

Default Any unarmed combat house rules please

Does anyone have any unarmed (or armed melee) combat house rules that they would like to share because I'm pretty unhappy with the close combat rules in v1 and 2.2.

Also, would anyone like to clarify the wording in the 2.2 rules that specifies that a successful block uses up the next action. The wording is pretty clear that an unsuccessful block does not use up an action.

For my house rules I got rid of grapples, diving blows and throws; keeping only hand-strikes, kicks, and strangles; I thought that they were complicated and unbalanced. I've also made blocking kicks Difficult and not Formidable (because how else was the rule that states that an Outstanding Success on a block does not use the action) and because this one PC with UCD of 5 (rounded up to 7 with kicks) always Knocked Down opponents. I've also made blocking Short weapons with Long weapons Difficult and not Formidable for the same Outstanding Success reason.

I've been getting into harnmaster recently and would like to include some of the close-combat feel of that game.....but I'm happy enough with v2.2 to not consider a switch to gunmaster
Old 08-13-2009, 05:03 PM
The Stat Guy

That's been a persistent problem with the T2K rules (v1, 2, or 2.2) -- they don't really lend themselves to decent hand-to-hand or melee combat rules. I've tried, but I've never really come up with anything useful.

I'll give you a tip, though: If you're going to sneak up behind an enemy with a knife to silence him, do not cut his throat. It looks good in the movies, but the truth is that cutting someone's throat make a LOT of noise. They gurgle loudly, and it's very hard to tamp down the noise from that.

OK, that had nothing to do with T2K rules, but I still think it's a good tip.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 08-13-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonpoi View Post
I've been getting into harnmaster recently and would like to include some of the close-combat feel of that game.....but I'm happy enough with v2.2 to not consider a switch to gunmaster
Good Lord! Bless you my son.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Good Lord! Bless you my son.
yep, that one was for you!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:56 AM

Default in all modesty

I suggest you look at our houserules - compatible with V2.0 or 2.2 with a little tweaking .

The rules are in a sort of cumulative optional system ,meaning that you can make them more complicated for a one-on-one protracted melee fight or cut out the calculation and dice rolling and just dole out hits and damage in a melee ( fight with lots of guys)

Granted -there could be more done to refine and simplify these , but we did a few test fights and had fun .The grappling rules are time consuming but so are most rpg combat rules until properly ingrained in the participants .

here it goes :

http://thebigbookofwar.50megs.com/DOX/0-House%20rules/

we just di not like the meager melee rules in the original game and found some of it overly complicated and useless for the player in combat phases.This way we fel we have tilted the odds in favour of the highly trained fighter as we believe he would make mince meat of an untrained one in much shorter order than pr core rules...
Old 08-14-2009, 02:29 AM

thanks hq, I'll check them out. I agree with you about some of the unarmed combat rules being complicated and useless.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:20 AM

I don't want to hijack leonpoi's thread, but was wondering if anyone also has any rules/suggestions for HtH combat for online games to add?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:28 AM

http://www.ludd.ltu.se/~antenna/rnds/house/mart_p.htm

Antenna