RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 03-17-2022, 10:08 PM

Default 1st Edition Modules with 2.2 Rules?

This may seem like a silly question, but I'm in the process of getting copies of the 1st edition modules from a friend and I'm wondering whether there's much to be done to convert them to 2.2 rules?

I mean the basics I get, NPCs of basic levels just use the 2.2 stat blocks, likewise use the 2.2 stats for weapons and equipment.

I'm just trying to understand expectations for what else might need to be considered if running the modules in the newer ruleset.

Any ideas or opinions? Anyone done this who has wisdom to pass on?

Thanks in advance!

~Ty
Old 03-19-2022, 09:06 AM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

As you've observed, NPCs should port over in terms of quality level. For named NPCs with listed v1 percentile skills, I'd divide by 5 to get the v2.2 asset. You'll be okay with weapons and vehicles if you have the v2.0 equipment books (or use Paul Mulcahy's stats, if you prefer his math to GDW's). Don't forget to multiply ammo allocations by 3 when converting any v1 cache contents to v2!

The encounter tables in the v1 modules are specific to each locale and scenario. I'd use them in place of the generalized v2 encounter rules while the PCs were actively adventuring in the specified area, but use the general rules for overland travel between plot elements (if needed).

Beyond those elements, you should have limited needs for rules conversion. I flipped through a few different randomly-selected modules while composing this post and didn't see anything that would look particularly troublesome.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 03-19-2022, 07:05 PM

Perfect, that's what I was looking for.

And from what I've seen of the couple of modules I've gotten my hands on so far it jives with what I was thinking, but it's good to get a second perspective.

Thank you!

~Ty
Old 03-20-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
As you've observed, NPCs should port over in terms of quality level. For named NPCs with listed v1 percentile skills, I'd divide by 5 to get the v2.2 asset. You'll be okay with weapons and vehicles if you have the v2.0 equipment books (or use Paul Mulcahy's stats, if you prefer his math to GDW's). Don't forget to multiply ammo allocations by 3 when converting any v1 cache contents to v2!

The encounter tables in the v1 modules are specific to each locale and scenario. I'd use them in place of the generalized v2 encounter rules while the PCs were actively adventuring in the specified area, but use the general rules for overland travel between plot elements (if needed).

Beyond those elements, you should have limited needs for rules conversion. I flipped through a few different randomly-selected modules while composing this post and didn't see anything that would look particularly troublesome.

- C.
You beat me to it Teg! As Teg mentioned, the only thing you really have to do is convert percentiles to 1-10 range (I will give IMPORTANT NPCs Attribute scores) for the main NPCs and divide scores by 5 for MOOKS. The modules are basically compatible with all the editions IF you change a few stats.
Old 03-20-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
You beat me to it Teg! As Teg mentioned, the only thing you really have to do is convert percentiles to 1-10 range (I will give IMPORTANT NPCs Attribute scores) for the main NPCs and divide scores by 5 for MOOKS. The modules are basically compatible with all the editions IF you change a few stats.
Great, thank you! This is the information I needed, that basically stats need to be updated by system, and other than that the adventures can be used as is.

It's great! Thank you both!

~Ty