RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2015, 03:02 PM

Default Leftover nukes and other WMDs?

Pardon if this has been asked before, and answered, but...have any game supplements or articles been written about the disposition of remaining nukes or other WMDs on either side?

I've read the 1st Edition timeline, which discusses boatloads of tacnukes being used in the European and Chinese theaters as well as limited strategic strikes being used against C3 targets and refineries and the like, and I've seen a target list of U.S. impacts from the 2nd Edition. From what I remember of the U.S. impacts, most were in the 500 KT-1 MT range and most were refineries and command-and-control targets. I don't remember seeing missile bases, submarine bases, bomber bases, or chemical weapons depots featuring prominently on that list, though it has been years since I saw it, nor do I recall monster nukes like the 25 MT SS-18 Mod 3 or Mod 4 "city-busting" warhead listed.

Am I remembering the target list incorrectly? The Morrow Project target list seemed more...comprehensive, even if some of the numbers didn't really match up; that I attribute to the MP creators not exactly having access to hard numbers of ICBMs/SLBMs at the time the game was created. It wasn't like you could Google that information in the 80s.

And one also has to wonder about some of the numbers of weapons involved in the nuclear phase of the Twilight War. With the Soviet Union continuing to exist well into the 90s, though we did see some real-life diminishing of numbers and types of nuclear weapons through the INF and START treaties, I am thinking that those treaties didn't exist in the Twilight timeline. In fact, I would expect to see increased numbers of more modern weapons and equipment, an expansion of the B-1 and B-2 programs, more Ohio-class boomers, newer and better nukes, etc.

How did the game address these types of things, if at all? And how did you handle such questions in your own campaigns?

Thanks for any input, folks.