RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2011, 12:51 PM

Default OT (somewhat): Another plot foiled...

This one's interesting, it seems so far from what they're saying, Iranian Quds Force among others was involved in this one. The attempt to take out the Saudis certainly makes sense in any case. May want to keep an eye on this and see how it develops.

http://news.yahoo.com/u-says-iran-ti...145047487.html

What's worrying is that they apparently weren't planning to be subtle about this, they were going to target D.C. for crying out loud.
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake

Last edited by Schone23666; 10-11-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:17 PM

Without doubting the seriousness of the situation.... there's just something about the thread title that demands "...and I would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for those meddling kids!"
Old 10-11-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
Without doubting the seriousness of the situation.... there's just something about the thread title that demands "...and I would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for those meddling kids!"
That wasn't originally my intention, but you have to admit, it fits.

"Rooby-rooby Roo!"

On a serious note, will be interesting to see, what, if anything occurs as a result of this, though I doubt much will happen other than a diplomatic protest, another set of sanctions, etc.
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake
Old 10-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Designated Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schone23666 View Post
On a serious note, will be interesting to see, what, if anything occurs as a result of this, though I doubt much will happen other than a diplomatic protest, another set of sanctions, etc.
What else is left to sanction? What do they have to lose?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Internet Intellectual

Shi'a versus Sunni factions of Islam.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 PM

Reminds me of Tegyrius' "Great Islamic War" from the T2013 background...
Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 PM

Default Update

Seems this fellow the Iranian Quds Force were attempting to target is a particular person of interest:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/sa...201032231.html

And no surprise here of course with the old Shia vs. Shiite rivalry. Though what also is going on is that Iran has dreams (or is that delusions?) of recreating the Persian Empire and is attempting to broaden it's influence in the area, but one rather interesting competitor they're starting to seriously butt heads with is Turkey no less, which has it's own dreams of recreating the Ottoman Empire and has been making waves in the region as well with the ruckus it's been creating with Israel. Both are vying for power in the region...as always, along with everyone else.

Gotta love the Middle East!
— David Drake
Old 10-11-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Definitely the nuttiest place on the planet.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
Definitely the nuttiest place on the planet.
I think a security consultant by the name of John Mullins (who actually consulted for a video game no less called Soldier of Fortune, get it? ) put it best:

"The Middle East was the most difficult area to operate in. You were never too sure who your friends were, and even if you did, if they'd remain so within the next five minutes."

— David Drake
Old 10-11-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I think a security consultant by the name of John Mullins (who actually consulted for a video game no less called Soldier of Fortune, get it? ) put it best:

"The Middle East was the most difficult area to operate in. You were never too sure who your friends were, and even if you did, if they'd remain so within the next five minutes."

LOL Probably sums it up pretty good.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:06 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:

And no surprise here of course with the old Shia vs. Shiite rivalry. Though what also is going on is that Iran has dreams (or is that delusions?) of recreating the Persian Empire and is attempting to broaden it's influence in the area, but one rather interesting competitor they're starting to seriously butt heads with is Turkey no less, which has it's own dreams of recreating the Ottoman Empire and has been making waves in the region as well with the ruckus it's been creating with Israel. Both are vying for power in the region...as always, along with everyone else.

Consider that, then consider the mess that's going to ensue when we leave Iraq at the end of the year (so far).

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 10-11-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Consider that, then consider the mess that's going to ensue when we leave Iraq at the end of the year (so far).
Yeah, and consider what country just happens to sit between Iran and Turkey?

Ugh...I'm just wondering when it's time to finally pull out that old Prince vinyl album and "gonna party like it's Nine-Teen Ninety-NINE!"
— David Drake