RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2008, 08:37 PM

Default getting the ball rolling at our new home

How do people generally feel about loyalist Canadian Forces in Canada flying their pre 1965 colours when in contact with those wiley Quebecois?
Old 09-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

I like the idea but this seems like a hard flag to improvise.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:46 PM

my understanding is that it is flown over the Canadian equivalent of the VFW, at many locations in Canada... I'm sorry that I don't recall the name of the veterans organization though...
Old 09-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Interesting that would make sense then. From my interactions with Canadians there seems to be a lot of inter-culture taunting even without armed conflict.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
I like the idea but this seems like a hard flag to improvise.
If you leave the coat of arms off it might not be so hard... a red flag with the Union Jack in the corner.

Any idea if they did a "simplified" version like that historically, like in WWII?

I think it's a wonderful way to express how upset some people might be at the loss of Quebec and the complications it brings...
Old 09-12-2008, 08:53 PM

but when you through in an armed rebellion by the Quebecois... the Anglo-Canadian's might take offense... beyond the point of taunting... I'd really like to here what our Commenwealth friends have to say on this matter, let alone a Canadian.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Here is where I got the image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Canada

looks like they used some sort of crest for a while.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Grimace Send a message via AIM to Grimace Send a message via Yahoo to Grimace

So, I'm kinda fuzzy on what this is about. Is this some part of Canada flying a different flag rather than the Canadian Maple Leaf flag?

If so, I would say that is a rather unwise idea. That would be like a state of the United States flying a revamped "made in their own way" American flag that wasn't the Stars & Stripes. Or a province of England flying the a reworked, different looking flag in place of the Union Jack. Flying it as a provincal flag is one thing...that's like a state of the U.S. flying a state flag, but it shouldn't replace the national flag.

If that's not what you meant, could you elaborate?
Old 09-13-2008, 05:49 AM

I think like Chico said, it might work better without the coat of arms...apart from anything else, the coat of arms has (what looks to me like) the fleur de lys on it, which presumably represents Quebec, so flying that flag with the coat of arms would in effect be flying the enemy's colours?

I don't know about this one...I tend to take the same view as Grimace, namely that anyone flying any flag other than that internatinally recognised as that of their contry would be by definition advocating some sort of seperatism. So would loyalist forces flying that flag be a way of saying that they did not want Quebec to stay within Canada?

Perhaps you would end up with two different groups? The Maple leaf would remain the official flag, but some units would choose to fly the old flag? Those flying the Maple Leaf are fighting to keep Quebec within the federation, whilst those flying the old flag are in effect telling the Quebecois to naff off?

Whilst I am a Commonwealth citizen, I think we really need the input of our Canadian friends on this one...
Old 09-14-2008, 07:54 AM

I bet if you showed that flag to most Canadians today (at least all of the younger ones) they'd have no idea what it was. Even if that doesn't matter, the maple leaf is in ingrained cultural symbol and I'd think the standard/current flag would remain. When Quebec came close to peaceful separation a few years ago the you only saw the maple leaf flag or the Quebec one flown at rallies. This one is history IMO.