RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 02-02-2018, 12:19 AM

Question Playing T2k 2nd edition V2.2 with one player and one GM

Is it possible? Has anyone done it? How did it go? How would you go about running and playing a game like this? All I have so far is to make some Characters to fill out the Unit. I hope you all can help me.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:14 PM
Banned

It can be done and was done by my GM on a few occasions back when we played in the 80's but we used the original rules back then. Specifically it was used when one character got separated from the group and he ran individual one on one until that character got back to the group.

And have run into that situation with other games too - was in an AD&D campaign where we took on the wrong monster and only one guy survived. Was run as an individual survivor campaign until he got back to a town and then we started the group again with new rolled up characters that he "recruited".
Old 02-05-2018, 06:28 PM

Certainly it can be done.

I would have the player design 1 or 2 other characters. If his primary ones gets badly wounded, he can take over one of thee others, which (having created them) should partially feel like "his."

The player just needs to be careful about what he chooses to take on to fight as opposed to evading.

Consider that for every groups of 6-8 with a couple vehicles evading the destruction of the 5th Inf in Poland there are are probably 10 groups of 2-3 on foot...

(Your mileage may vary, and you may well be elsewhere in the world.)

Uncle Ted
Old 02-08-2018, 04:08 PM
Banned

I completely agree about the small groups that would have gotten away - after all that is where many of us got our replacements if we had characters get killed - i..e the loner we picked up in Krakow (who replaced someone we lost in a firefight getting there as we did the Black Madonna first) - or the two "POW escapees we picked up near Warsaw (again to replace lost original characters)

having a one or two man party (where one person is a character and the other a GM controlled NPC who the player controls during combat) could definitely make for an interesting campaign - and if you get more players you just have your guy (or woman) join up with them - i.e. you have been on your own for weeks and go into town to find a LAV-25 and four 5th Division soldiers manning it who havent seen anyone else for weeks
Old 02-08-2018, 08:29 PM

For some time, I've wanted to try using v2 rules (Merc included) for an espionage game, perhaps in Krakow, perhaps in the Cold War. Spy games seem a natural for one player game.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanis View Post
Is it possible? Has anyone done it? How did it go? How would you go about running and playing a game like this? All I have so far is to make some Characters to fill out the Unit. I hope you all can help me.
I have done it. Have the player generate two or three characters with a specific focus like mechanic or medic (so they are familiar with those characters) and run them as SUPPORT NPCs. One guy watches the vehicle the other heals the player's character and maintains stuff. You can also use these NPCs as a "vessel" to "discuss" stuff or help the player decide on a course of action by acting through them. If the player's character is badly wounded, he can switch to playing one of the NPCs until he knits up. They can also be used as "The Calvery" to rescue him if things go south.

You will need to increase the skills per term in order to ensure the group's survival. With fewer team members, each member will need to be more skilled in a wider variety of skills. I'd recommend giving them EDU + INT Skills per term in a RAW game. This NEEDS to be spread among a larger number of Skills in order to ensure that the team has all the necessary skills. I'd give the NPCs the "boring" Medical and Mechanical Skills while the Player's character takes all the action-based Skills.

A good concept might be to run a Two-Man Sniper Team trying to RECON the Enemy position or escape from behind the lines. A Three or Four-Man RECON team in an Uparmored Hummer (complete with Thermal or X25 Image Intensifier and a single heavy weapon) scouting the flanks could be another good concept. You just need to be REALISTIC about how much extra work you can handle ESPECIALLY if the player is NOT experienced (experienced players make a HUGE difference in the play experience).

I hope this helps.

Swag

Tags
duet game, one on one game, question