RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 09-11-2018, 02:44 AM

Default Automatic Weapons

Should the project use automatic weapons?

The sheer lack of ammunition available seems to counsel against using weapons on 'sprinkle'.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:18 AM

When I first started playing TMP i questioned a group rebuilding civilization needing military grade weapons. But being a prolific reader of science-fiction and a variety of "After whatever" books, I've come to the conclusion that the Project does indeed need military grade weapons, not only to protect themselves, but the survivors who need protection from those who are willing to do anything and everything to anybody who has what they want.

This is where TM1-1's shortfalls start to read its ugly head. From a logistical standpoint alone, the Project is doomed to failure.

Assigning six small caches, whose humanitarian supplies amount to a few sacks of seed, a box of two of books and tools, simply isn't going to work. In order to provide for any meaningful level of support until survivors can become self-sustaining averages some 25 pounds per person, per day for anywhere up to six months. In other words one person for six months requires 4,500lbs of supplies...if your survivor community numbers, say 300 peple, for the same period of time, we are now looking at 405 tons. What the Project needs are lots of 5-ton and 10-ton trucks, not V-150s!
Old 09-11-2018, 08:37 AM

It should be noted that we are never given any real idea of the extent of Project stocks. We have the caches, but they are meant to be immediate, on-hand supplies that Teams can leverage for use in isolation. Resupply or more extensive supplies would come from places like Starnaman.

I would also question the 25lb per day number - that seems very high, especially considering that the Project was expecting to operate 5 years after a war. The population should have mostly stabilized, the assistance that was needed was in elevating a degraded civilization, not rebuilding from a natural disaster. 6 months in, the US was still going to be far behind where it had been pre-war, but they would be on a path to recovery.

And on the ammunition front, remember that any adversaries were expected to be in worse straits, so the danger of running out of ammo is far less than it would be against a modern military with full logistic support. You're expecting to fight guys with a handful of ammo in their pocket, not a truckload of 7.62. Just showing up with an M249 may be enough to show them they are outgunned and make them withdraw or surrender.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:40 AM

That having been said, there need to be more supply bases with shorter supply lines, and at the least every team should have access to trailers to help them haul supplies as needed. And there should be logistics teams with heavy trucks scattered all over the place or assigned to the supply bases.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:16 AM

The only significant hint as to the scope and scale is in the narrative section in 4th edition on page 11 which reads:

"With that in mind, I can tell you a little about
how the Project is organized. We have a main
command base to coordinate all teams, several
regional bases to provide support to teams in
their areas, several supply bases to manage
large stores of equipment for reconstruction
and the individual team bolt-holes scattered
across the country."

Depending on how you interpret "several" will determine how large the supply is and the length of supply lines.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
It should be noted that we are never given any real idea of the extent of Project stocks. We have the caches, but they are meant to be immediate, on-hand supplies that Teams can leverage for use in isolation. Resupply or more extensive supplies would come from places like Starnaman.

I would also question the 25lb per day number - that seems very high, especially considering that the Project was expecting to operate 5 years after a war. The population should have mostly stabilized, the assistance that was needed was in elevating a degraded civilization, not rebuilding from a natural disaster. 6 months in, the US was still going to be far behind where it had been pre-war, but they would be on a path to recovery.

And on the ammunition front, remember that any adversaries were expected to be in worse straits, so the danger of running out of ammo is far less than it would be against a modern military with full logistic support. You're expecting to fight guys with a handful of ammo in their pocket, not a truckload of 7.62. Just showing up with an M249 may be enough to show them they are outgunned and make them withdraw or surrender.

In my campaigns, I go with 6-8 caches, access to 1-3 humanitarian caches, the team's are part of groups, who have access to 3-6 larger resupply caches, backed up 1-2 larger supply bases (such as Delta Base) and then a manner regional base with access to manufacturing. But it has always troubled me that the team caches are always so limited in scope.

The 25 pounds per person per day is a "slice", comprising food, medical, clothing, tools, POL, and other material. It would break down into 4lbs food, 0.75lbs medical supplies etc, etc,etc.