RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 04-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default How effective could a mostly legal project be.

Over the past weekend I had an interesting train of thought.

I was thinking about putting heavy lift blimp components in an abandoned mine in semi northern Canada (I wanted something really off the beaten path). That got me into thinking how Canadian laws might be different from US laws in terms of safety and construction of mines. That got me thinking as to what exact laws the project is breaking.

I came up with the following list
1. Illegal Weapons
2. Non permit construction
3. Faking Deaths.
4. Money Laundering?
5. Numerous EPA and SEC violations
6. Fraud

This got me to thinking what exactly could the project do legally? If they could pull together one to three thousand people without doing anything (serious prison) illegal could this process be duplicated over 10 regions giving the project something approaching critical mass to make a difference? This is more like a confederation of survivalist groups than the Project as we know it but I still find it interesting.

I often totally break down the project to something unrecognizable to canon, but I feel these mental exercises can produce interesting options that could maybe be rolled back into canon projects.

Just thought I would throw this out there to see if there are any thoughts or ideas.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Internet Intellectual

Something like the Red Cross with a civil engineering capability. Playable for sure.

The Project could function with pistols, semi autos, and non lethal smoke or CS. Armored cars like the V-150 or the Peacekeeper are not illegal to own or operate. Even surplus M20 Greyhounds would be fine.

It is Hard Mode for game play as the baddies have captured DoD and Guard equipment in some cases.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:07 AM

Seems eminently sensible once you start thinking legally there's a whole range of possibilities open.

Want to build a multi level, nuke proof bunker in the middle of nowhere?

Then maybe you're just building a new doomsday seed vault.

Running a private air courier company? Then you can help yourself to all sorts of jets and copters.

The tricky bit would be buying in essential military gear just before the bomb dropped, stuff that the project couldn't do with it and couldn't justify legally.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:17 AM

I think the cryotubes remain an unavoidable and illegal part of the Project. You can give them legal firearms and vehicles, you can do everything above board, but you still have either freely available cryotube technology or else a group that is performing illegal and unnecessary medical procedures on people. You also have the fact that the Project's open existence would drastically change the post-war environment, with other well-orgainzed groups competing to rule the country.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:50 AM

Actually, the cyrotube may have a loophole to exploit. The existing cyrogenic freezing companies use the Uniform Anatomical Gift Act (UAGA) to gain custody of the "dead" patient that they freeze until medical science catches up. This donation effectively removes the ability of family members to "dispose" of the individual in some other way, allowing them to be given over to Erickson Cyrogenetics, a division of Huron United Health which is owned by Patterson Futura holdings, which in turn is owned by Morrow Medical Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Morrow Industries. Part of the paperwork of becoming a Project member would be executing the UAGA and then arranging a convincing death (suicide) using little tested for or untraceable cocktail of drugs that can be easily counteracted when put into the cryotube.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:07 AM

I don't see that holding up. We're talking tens of thousands of healthy people, all with a Morrow connection (you probably cannot hide that all were recruited and trained), all committing "suicide" so they can be frozen. That wont stand up to legal scrutiny, and it adds the complication of needing to hide that you can cure them without freezing them... because if you can't cure them going in, they're dead coming out!