RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 05-09-2017, 07:19 PM

Default Shelter in Twilight2000

I am kicking around a short set of rules regarding "exposure" and how it affects both healing and fatigue. Twilight2K13 had a set of shelter rules but I was thinking of including clothing as well.

My "core idea" is to use a sort of "comfort threshold" of 70 degrees Fahrenheit as a base level of comfort. All coverings (blankets), clothing, sleeping bags, and shelter would "add" degrees of temperature to this threshold. I'm considering this method because most sleeping bags and tents are Rated at a given level of protection in Degrees. For instance, you can buy a +30 Degrees Sleeping bag. This means that if the outside temperature were 40 Degrees, this sleeping bag's insulation would make you feel like it was 70 degrees inside the bag. In a 100 Degree environment, that sleeping bag would make you feel too hot at a perceived temperature of 130 Degrees. This system would need ratings for mechanical effects such as heat exhaustion, and hypothermia. The most basic effect would be Fatigue. The worst case scenario would be temporary (or permanent) characteristic loss.

So, has anyone ever tried to develop these rules outside of shelter in TW2K13?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:01 PM

Challenge #29 had an article on weather, including travel effects, health effects, and maintenance effects. It basically works the same as the system you suggest, but with 50 degrees as the minimum non-harmful temperature, and items reducing that limit accordingly (e.g. a sweater drops it by 20 degrees, and a winter combat suit by 40 degrees).
Old 05-10-2017, 10:12 AM
The Stat Guy

For weather, I use the system (originally made for AD&D) from an old issue of Dragon magazine (somewhere around issue 100, IIRC). It's very detailed, accounts for things like altitude, terrain, and even exotic weather like tornadoes and hurricanes and earthquakes (and things you don't need for T2K, like the activity of Wizards and Clerics and magical creatures in the vicinity). It generates temperature, humidity, wind speed, and the effects of things like the temperature/humidity index and the effects of extreme cold. A few conversions and voila!

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 05-11-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
I am kicking around a short set of rules regarding "exposure" and how it affects both healing and fatigue. Twilight2K13 had a set of shelter rules but I was thinking of including clothing as well.

My "core idea" is to use a sort of "comfort threshold" of 70 degrees Fahrenheit as a base level of comfort. All coverings (blankets), clothing, sleeping bags, and shelter would "add" degrees of temperature to this threshold. I'm considering this method because most sleeping bags and tents are Rated at a given level of protection in Degrees. For instance, you can buy a +30 Degrees Sleeping bag. This means that if the outside temperature were 40 Degrees, this sleeping bag's insulation would make you feel like it was 70 degrees inside the bag. In a 100 Degree environment, that sleeping bag would make you feel too hot at a perceived temperature of 130 Degrees. This system would need ratings for mechanical effects such as heat exhaustion, and hypothermia. The most basic effect would be Fatigue. The worst case scenario would be temporary (or permanent) characteristic loss.

So, has anyone ever tried to develop these rules outside of shelter in TW2K13?
This is another interesting and useful thing, I'll dig through my notes.