RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 07-29-2012, 01:18 PM

Default Map of 5th ID's final offensive?

Has anyone ever done a map, like maybe done with Milsketch, of the final offensive of the 5th Inf Div? A long time ago when I was running regular campaigns I had a hand drawn version but I've lost that. I was wondering if any has done this before? If not, I'm about to attempt it but I've never used MilSketch before so it's going to be a "learning experience" for me...
Old 07-29-2012, 02:18 PM
The end is nigh!!!

Something like this I found?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Ofensiva2.pdf (264.3 KB, 545 views)
Old 07-29-2012, 04:41 PM

That's a good start, thanks, but the one that I had made up had notes for each major unit of the 5th and their movements. Basically I took the Escape from Kalisz handout and the Intelligence Briefing and made up a map showing each step of the offensive, ending up at Kalisz.

I'm working on recreating that...
Old 07-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylond View Post
That's a good start, thanks, but the one that I had made up had notes for each major unit of the 5th and their movements. Basically I took the Escape from Kalisz handout and the Intelligence Briefing and made up a map showing each step of the offensive, ending up at Kalisz.
I did the same thing the ol' fashioned way: made several photocopies of the map in the v1.0 book and then drew in the progressive unit locations and movements. It wasn't pretty, but it helped.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 07-29-2012, 05:27 PM
The end is nigh!!!

If you do it .... use this link for exact info on forces...

http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.p...tle+kalisz+map
Old 07-29-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I did the same thing the ol' fashioned way: made several photocopies of the map in the v1.0 book and then drew in the progressive unit locations and movements. It wasn't pretty, but it helped.
Yea, way back when I was playing and GMing it(late 80's) we wanted a visual of where the 5th ID had been and exactly where "Friendly Lines" were last at that we knew.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnwolf View Post
If you do it .... use this link for exact info on forces...

http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.p...tle+kalisz+map
Excellent! I remember going through and finding a lot of the errors and typos back when I was making my notes/map back in the late 80's. Back then it was very frustrating but in the last couple of years I've had the privilege of participating in some RPG playtesting so I've gained an appreciation of the process, and I'm a bit more understanding now when it comes to RPG editing. Bad or lazy fact research is one thing, typos and editing mistakes happen...
Old 07-30-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
And WHERE pray tell did you FIND it? I had something similar I did for OpFred but not near as nice as I could with resouces available today. I cut/pasted maps from a Polish site, one section at a time.. grrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 07-30-2012, 04:59 PM
The end is nigh!!!

I had a link to a few out of date stuff that people did and I used Internet Archive Wayback Machine to see if I could get the stuff again.

http://archive.org/web/web.php

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/t2k/messages/13881

Last edited by Cdnwolf; 07-30-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 PM

Any idea where the data on the other units came from? There is mention of the 8th Mech Div in the breakout but I haven't seen anything else other than some vague mentions of some of the units being in "Northern Poland"...
Old 08-06-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graebarde View Post
And WHERE pray tell did you FIND it? I had something similar I did for OpFred but not near as nice as I could with resouces available today. I cut/pasted maps from a Polish site, one section at a time.. grrrrrrrrrrrr
Bon dia!
This image is from our website "L'ARGONAUTA, rol en català". It’s a website written in Catalan language and since the very beginning, we have a section devoted to Twilight:2000. The map is part of our own introductory campaign, titled “El camí cap a Kalisz” (The road to Kalisz) and is a free graphic interpretation of Legbreaker explanations about the plans for last push of the 3rd German Army in Poland. I use this map as a background material for newbie players to situate themselves in the incoming offensive. So, the purpose is more to create the feeling that they are part of something bigger than to be the exact image of the plan. The campaign is divided in playable scenarios (only the first two available right now) and our purpose is to give the referee all the needed material to run the campaign, including maps, characters, etc.
I don’t know how the google translator would work with Catalan to English translation, if anyone wants to read more… Anyway, I will provide the links to our Twilight:2000 materials in the Site Update Thread.

BTW, the map was done using Excel, with a background map of Poland and the autoform tools.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:12 AM

Cool

Wow, it's freaky seeing something I did translated into another language!

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-14-2012, 07:31 PM
The end is nigh!!!

I see why now no one attempted it. Trying to do it on Google Maps and its driving me crazy. The big question was WHY they were to attempt to break through Lodz and continue east and then head north to the Baltic coast... Also they were only 70 miles from Warsaw and why didn't they push on and use the better roads heading north...

OH WELL....

I know its already been answered somewhere... lol just too lazy to re-read the thread.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 PM
The end is nigh!!!

Found this

Last edited by Cdnwolf; 08-15-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Unless I'm being blind the map that Cdnwolf found (link here:http://forum.juhlin.com/attachment.p...7&d=1343593054) doesn't list any British units as participating in the summer 2000 offensive - they just seem to be in Germany, presumably holding defensive positions. Is this correct according to canon?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:15 AM

On the face of it, that is correct about the British units. However, it's my assertion they were slated to move into alternate positions in the event the German III Army offensive was successful and the Pact hadn't counter-attacked - basically they would have (along with many other units of all nations) had to adjust to fill the "holes" left by the German III Army.

In a nutshell though, British units weren't tasked with offensive operations (but maybe a few feints and probes here and there to keep the Pacts attention away from further north).

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem