RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-13-2009, 05:19 PM

Default Term time, 3 or 4 years?

I'm toying with the idea of using 3 year terms rather than 4 year terms in the character generation for tw2000 v2.2 - but I haven't thought it through and would some everyone's opinion. My reasoning for doing this is because I feel a well developed char needs to be able to squeeze out one more term during development. The extra skills would also be useful.

I'm finding that most characters are pretty well developed (and are statistically drafted) after about 4 terms + the war term = 5 terms, after which AGL loss has been tested twice. For 3-year terms age checks would be made at 30 (end of T4) and 36 (end of T6), so these T5 characters get a little break (1 extra skill point, or 2 extra if they push out to T6). Characters are also about 33 (I assume a 18 year start with 3 year terms), which feels a bit better than 37 (we are 20 year gaming veterans who started at 12 )

HTML Code:
terms	1	2	3	4	5	6	7
3	21	24(5)	27(4)	30(3)	33(3)	36(2)	39(1)
4	21	25(5)	29(4)	33(3)	37(2)	41(1) 45(1)
Old 08-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

T2k13 has 1-4 year terms depending on the term type. Makes a ton more sense than every character being 17,21,25,29,33,37 etc
Old 08-13-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
T2k13 has 1-4 year terms depending on the term type. Makes a ton more sense than every character being 17,21,25,29,33,37 etc
I agree, and I do own T2k13, however, I'm pretty happy with tw2k v2.2 and am just trying to squeeze some more life out of it until we have a chance to learn the new rules.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:25 PM
The Stat Guy

This is little off-topic, but it occurs to me that almost every troop in T2K can be considered to have been stop-lossed...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 08-13-2009, 10:51 PM

My buddy and I got inspired my 2013 and re did the terms for v2.2. Came out pretty well.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lombardoslegion View Post
My buddy and I got inspired my 2013 and re did the terms for v2.2. Came out pretty well.
Do you have them in a handy form? if so I would love to look at them.

This Excel workbook will show you what I intend - sorry OO users, it uses macros so I couldn't convert easily.
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.ph...generation.xls

FYI the sheet uses some house-rules (small arms linked to AGL, for eg). If you populate the sheet with careers and change the term length (Q35) you'll see the age and also the attribute losses change for 3 and 4 year terms
Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 AM

I have T2K13 but didn't read most of the rules (getting too old for that) but I have used a variable term length for years, it works fine. Usually, I use a mix between 3 and 4 year terms for civilians.

I use 2 years term for first military training and back to 4 years term for regular service (I stick to my grand father saying: armies in peacetime are useless and costly).

I only use 1 year term for troops at the front (I assume that you have a tendency to learn faster when shells start to fall all around you).

Wartime training is another thing entirely (You can be drafted, shown were the trigger is and send to active duty, up to you and to the country of birth).

One thing has been overlooked by the basic rule and this is the military service that most civilians in Europe would have had up to the end of the cold war. Most European countries only switched to professionnal army in the second half of the 1990's. As a result, most European soldiers (East and West) would have received basic training when the war starts (even drafted ones). The level of training depending on your age. If you follow v1.0 and v2.2, characters in their 40's (Limited age to be drafted was around 45) would have received almost full basic training (18 month training). characters in their 30's would have received slightly reduced training (12 month training). characters in their 20's would have received much reduced training (10 month only).

Works fine that way for me.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender View Post
I have T2K13 but didn't read most of the rules (getting too old for that) but I have used a variable term length for years, it works fine. Usually, I use a mix between 3 and 4 year terms for civilians.

I use 2 years term for first military training and back to 4 years term for regular service (I stick to my grand father saying: armies in peacetime are useless and costly).

I only use 1 year term for troops at the front (I assume that you have a tendency to learn faster when shells start to fall all around you).

Wartime training is another thing entirely (You can be drafted, shown were the trigger is and send to active duty, up to you and to the country of birth).

One thing has been overlooked by the basic rule and this is the military service that most civilians in Europe would have had up to the end of the cold war. Most European countries only switched to professionnal army in the second half of the 1990's. As a result, most European soldiers (East and West) would have received basic training when the war starts (even drafted ones). The level of training depending on your age. If you follow v1.0 and v2.2, characters in their 40's (Limited age to be drafted was around 45) would have received almost full basic training (18 month training). characters in their 30's would have received slightly reduced training (12 month training). characters in their 20's would have received much reduced training (10 month only).

Works fine that way for me.
I've got a question re. your variable terms - do you apply the age saving throw when the character enters the age range, e.g. 29-33, or at the end, when they reach 33?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Grimace Send a message via AIM to Grimace Send a message via Yahoo to Grimace

I personally use a 2 year term period of time. If you've only got the option of 3 or 4, and you want more variability, use 3 years. If you're more open to suggestion, use 2 years.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonpoi View Post
I've got a question re. your variable terms - do you apply the age saving throw when the character enters the age range, e.g. 29-33, or at the end, when they reach 33?
I have a tendency not to use it at all. I prefer to ask my players to write down their background and that alone tend to justify their age. After all, if someone wants to play a 74 years old character, I have nothing against it. However, he has to be well thought and don't count on making him a commando.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:03 PM

Another questions that I would like to slip in instead of making another post - should the requirements (tw2k v2.2) for SF-type characters include a term in the military?

Could anyone shed some light on the following real life entry requirements:
USA Rangers
USA Special forces
USMC Force recon
USMC Sniper
USN SEAL

I know that UK SAS requires a "term" in the army, for e.g.

What would the requirement be? Would it be a term in the military or specifically a term in the infantry?

thanks
Old 08-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Another questions that I would like to slip in instead of making another post - should the requirements (tw2k v2.2) for SF-type characters include a term in the military?

Could anyone shed some light on the following real life entry requirements:
USA Rangers
USA Special forces
USMC Force recon
USMC Sniper
USN SEAL

I know that UK SAS requires a "term" in the army, for e.g.

What would the requirement be? Would it be a term in the military or specifically a term in the infantry?

thanks
You can go start on the Rangers and Seals paths right out of Boot Camp. I believe Special Forces require a soldier to be at least 20 years of age. Unsure about the USMC requirements.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:09 PM

There are some common points between your questions and the thread I started on conscript armies. For US, UK, Canada (may be Russia), Special forces require terms in the military. If your characters is from a country relying heavily on concript, you'll always have a term in military (shorter than a four years term) but the following term could be a mix civilian/army as many concript were members of special forces or crack troops. Then, secondary activity is not enough and you need to work it out as such character could spent 6 month on duty/6 month in civilian activities (before the war of course).
Old 08-14-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender View Post
There are some common points between your questions and the thread I started on conscript armies. For US, UK, Canada (may be Russia), Special forces require terms in the military. If your characters is from a country relying heavily on concript, you'll always have a term in military (shorter than a four years term) but the following term could be a mix civilian/army as many concript were members of special forces or crack troops. Then, secondary activity is not enough and you need to work it out as such character could spent 6 month on duty/6 month in civilian activities (before the war of course).
Ok, thanks, I'll check out your thread. Going by the 2.2 careers, would National Military Ac count as a military term since you get basic training? i.e. could you go Nat mil Ac, special forces - or would you be expected to prove yourself first in another term?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Ok, thanks, I'll check out your thread. Going by the 2.2 careers, would National Military Ac count as a military term since you get basic training? i.e. could you go Nat mil Ac, special forces - or would you be expected to prove yourself first in another term?
In my very limited opinion, it can count as such for regular military. For special forces, officers... You'll need to serve at least long term service (that should be two terms: 2 years each) as that was often 36 month. Then, I would consider a character to be fully trained only if it can justify of previous military experience. In the case of France: 6 month periods of active duties in Africa.

Again IMO.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:09 PM

At least in the Spanish Army, you don't need any previous experience to try to enlist to the Special Forces. Of course you must meet the requirements to begin the basic training and once you have finished it and in your unit, keep your morale high enough no to resign.

This would be true for all the "careers" listed in the recrutiment forms. Of course there are specific positions not listed in this forms that can olny be archieved through experience. For example, for the Spanish Parachute Brigade you could choose (in the recruitment form) among infantry, signals, enginners, logistics, etc. Once in the Brigade, if you had choosen infantry or signals and you were in the HQ battalion, with time and good references you could enter the PRP (an elite, patrol-sized unit that is our own version of the "Pathfinders"). Perhaps one term needed.

Last edited by Marc; 08-15-2009 at 04:18 AM.

Tags
rules