RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 11-06-2014, 01:15 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Does MP4 have a base unit for a commerce system.

I am trying to come up with some type of generic pricing for equipment and I was wondering if Morrow Project version 4 had any base unit of cost.

Currently I am thinking of using the "gold grams" system that was in Twilight 2013, but if Morrow uses something else I might use that.

Any thoughts or comments on base commerce units in other systems would also be welcome.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:02 AM

Default none known

From what I've read, there is no 'official' currency system used. Barter is by far the most common method, with black powder being a major trade item. The KFS has its own currency system, backed up by the State. Since there is no national government anymore, there maybe regional, or smaller, currencies used.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:24 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Given the planed outcome of the project and when they were to operate, it makes sense that they would not have any, just use the US Dollar.

Hmm this gives a idea for a new team, A "Banking Team"

A team bolthole full of cash and other negotiable instruments

MARS Team Leader "Hey I needs four double gold eagle coins for a bribe"

Banking Team "Here fill out this reqest form and your have your coins in four to six weeks"

MARS Team Leader "it urgent"

Banking Team "Oh ok fill out this form"

MARS Team Leader "It's the same form"

Banking Team "Yes I know cross out standard and write in urgent"
Old 11-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

I've thought of the project giving out something similar to a Ration Chit from Krakow in T2k.

For those unfamiliar with with the T2k module "The Free City of Krakow", here is a small summary.

A ration chit is a piece of paper good for one meal at the communal kitchens.
Citizens get a certain amount for free.
Given food is a needed resource the chits have inherit value (as long as the kitchens are operating)
So commerce is able to run more efficiently as there is a stable currency and trade is not totally dependent on barter.

My thought is that the project might try to have some sort of backed currency. What it is backed with I have never really solidified, but the project has tons of resources that would be valuable to the general population.

It could also be a extension of Project "Script", which might be used internally for project members as "pay".

You would need to have stable project bases for the chits or script to gain acceptance, but it could be helpful for a fully functioning project in the long run.

Last edited by kato13; 11-06-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:34 PM

The Project I think only issued "Trade Goods" for transcations, Gold and Silver Coins, Tools, things of that nature. The coins are meaningless after a 150 years because honestly there just pretty coins at that point but the tools and other things of that nature are truly the barterable items. So yes, I would say the Barter system is the way to go while old currency's only real value is to be drilled out and used for washers if there coins and toilet paper or for starting fires if its dollars. All the gold and silver in Fort Knox is just heavy bricks as well at that point.

Pay wise for the teams, I don't think there as worried about getting paid at the point they awake as making a difference at first and then worrying about where there going to get more food, resupply, or even make contact with other teams. Best bet is to settle down and link themselves into the local economy for there needs.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:36 PM

I would not be so quick to say gold and silver would "just be bricks." Even in a barter economy, there will come some commodity exchange unit. This would come about as a natural result for trades of approximately equal value.

Let's say you made wines and a carpenter came to you to trade. You want him to build you a new shed and framework for the new vats that a cooper is making for you. He can do the work, but does not need or want 15 cases of wine in exchange for the work. He does want a barrel of nails from the blacksmith though, who hates wine. The only way this kind of bater works is if there is something that you have that can be traded more or less universally for goods and services. Something with perceived value. Sure, we could use colored beads on strings, old Twinkie wrappers, but gold and silver are more likely to be used for that, even if it is not exchangeable for currency.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:24 AM

Possibly yes there might be some sort of "Universal Currency" but will it or could be Gold and Silver? It kind of doubt it. Gold is heavy and pretty but too soft for any real use, it is its own rarity that makes it valuable. Its probably more of a possibility that a common trade script would come into use, probably shared by a major faction or trade group that acts as a banker or old US Coins would be used.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:03 AM

It is still likely to be gold and silver. Both are easy to verify with minimal equipment, extremely difficult to counterfeit and scarce enough that most will not just be able to pick some up on the road side as it were.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
I am trying to come up with some type of generic pricing for equipment and I was wondering if Morrow Project version 4 had any base unit of cost.

Currently I am thinking of using the "gold grams" system that was in Twilight 2013, but if Morrow uses something else I might use that.

Any thoughts or comments on base commerce units in other systems would also be welcome.
From the section on economics ......... the base unit is "One Hour Labor"...

So whether it is the KFS, the Lonestar Republic, or Chicago........

Whatever can be exchanged for one hour of labor.

So it is all barter. Gold and Silver make some sense. Just like economics today, there has to be something that can represent not just one hour, but 1000 or 10,000 hours of labor.

Do I think it is common in any of these societies? No, not at all. I think in this apocalyptic setting people are trading for what they need right now. Few have the resources or have made the kinds of finds, that equate to more than a few hours at best. It takes whole communities and thousands of hours of labor just to feed themselves.

However, the leadership at the community level needs something to trade with the leadership of another community that can be agreed upon.

Gold, Silver do that. If traded by weight and purity.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:11 AM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post

Survey says! Page 247 of the 4th edition. Gunpowder.

Specifically, what gunpowder represents in man hours to produce it. Tech level F is 1/2 kg per day, or 1/2 kg of gunpowder equals eight man hours of labor for tech level F.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:36 AM

Now that I looked over the Starnaman Incident again for something else, there is a gunpowder standard there with a small chart cross-referencing the amount of gunpowder for various items. So gunpowder seems to have been the official answer for quite a while.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:04 PM

Gunpowder? Is that blackpowder made of nitrate, sulfur and carbon or smokeless powder (single or double base)? Smokeless powders are more difficult to produce. What is the exchange rate between blackpowder and smokeless powder?
Old 12-30-2014, 08:40 PM

Starnaman uses black powder. Says nothing about the sulphur content, so it could have none and be really smokey.