RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 02-08-2017, 04:38 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
Not especially. The Dead Sea's salt is only about 30% sodium chloride, and it has a lot of bromide salts, which are toxic (in small doses, it's an anti-epileptic. In large doses, it causes hallucination, seizures, and coma).
According to this website... those bromide salts are kind of valuable. http://www.perekopbromine.com/en/products/bromide-salt

Antiepileptics, as you stated, going mostly to veterinary medicine. Though in T2K there may be a shortage or no manufacturing of antiepileptics medications that replaced them.

Disinfectant. Admittedly for swimming pools, though in T2K with water sources being compromised this can go to cleaning water treatment plants, "shock" polluted wells, and clean ship board distilling plants. Also lowers chlorine levels if you have to go nuclear on water tank.

That and petroleum uses it..... sending thousands of pounds to Saudi Arabia to get those refineries operating for the RDF seems lucrative too.

And silver bromide is used in photography, but also Xray film too. If you want to get your hospital out of the civil war (1860s) tech level again.

Silver linings?
Old 02-08-2017, 09:06 PM

Thanks for all the detailed info on salt production, I'm actually running a game that's heading near Salt Lake City so this is great! Another thing I was thinking about was spices, some would be pretty easy to find and grow like Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme. But I imagine some might require more resources than they're worth, or might even take too long to grow. I've heard black pepper takes forever to grow and it needs extremely good conditions to survive.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:51 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
Fairport Harbor, about 30 miles east of Cleveland. There was a nucleon decay detector located there 1982-1991 that was momentarily famous in 1987 for detecting 8 neutrinos from Supernova 1987A.
That's an awful lot of carbon tetrachloride. Should be great for cleaning up soiled uniforms post-whoops.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead Slim View Post
Thanks for all the detailed info on salt production, I'm actually running a game that's heading near Salt Lake City so this is great! Another thing I was thinking about was spices, some would be pretty easy to find and grow like Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme. But I imagine some might require more resources than they're worth, or might even take too long to grow. I've heard black pepper takes forever to grow and it needs extremely good conditions to survive.
Black pepper needs tropical conditions. About 90% of the world's supply is grown in Vietnam, Indonesia, India, Brazil, and China. Mexico grows some (between 600 and 2000 tons, out of ~475,000 tons produced annually), but it will be scarce.

Chili peppers have a much broader growth area, with large quantities raised in the United States and even up to Canada.

There's a great page at the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization that can show where various crops are grown, with data going back to 1961.

There's at least one crop that I know of that isn't grown in the US, but could be - my mother has raised vanilla orchids, but getting beans is difficult enough that commercial production might not be viable (it requires hand pollination outside of Mexico due to the lack of Melipona bees). The only production in the Western hemisphere is Mexico (roughly 200 tons per year) and Guadeloupe (about 5 tons per year).
Old 02-12-2017, 04:34 PM

Just saw this, I wonder if this kind of thing would come back after coffee got scarce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuZS61SezE
Old 02-12-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead Slim View Post
Just saw this, I wonder if this kind of thing would come back after coffee got scarce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuZS61SezE
That and chicory. One of the Hornblower books described using burnt bread as a coffee substitute.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallShadow View Post
That and chicory. One of the Hornblower books described using burnt bread as a coffee substitute.
As a non-coffee drinker, and most of the coffee drinker I know only drink it for the caffeine (as they say it tastes bad, unless you put enough milk and sugar) I wounder would this fill that fix?
Old 02-24-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draq View Post
Any progress?
Ok Draq,

Check out my posting to the food storage thread in the forum thread map.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:05 PM

While not actually a food, growing nightshade and/or belladonna might be useful if nerve agents were prevalent in the theatre. The aconite derived from them could be used as a cholinesterase booster to counter the effects.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Just came across this bit of info and thought it was appropriate for T2k.
Forget wasting your grenades to catch some fish, try fishing with car batteries!

You take the battery, hook up some jumper leads/cables and then throw the ends of the cables into the water. Make sure to remove the cables from the water before retrieving fish
Allegedly it will stun or electrocute the fish.
Who knows, maybe it really does work?

<SNIP>
I don't know about fish but sticking an electrified rod into the ground _will_ make the earthworms come sliding out--my brother used to do this to get worms for fishing.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:46 PM

Has anyone made a table for randomly foraged food in the European theatre? What kind of edible food grows in the wilderness?

Tags
foodstuffs