RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 02-11-2018, 04:37 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
No, that was my reference to finding the extensive Civil Defense caches dismantled in the Clinton era, these had WWII small arms so particular attention was paid to destruction. The book series was the Ashes series, "Out of the Ashes was the first. Again these are shlock, not alternate history. But inspiration comes from the most surprising things at times.
Crawling up from the depths of the archives crypt:
This is the first I'd heard of the CD stocks having weapons cached. This changes the character of the situation.
.45Cultist, can you give the sources for some further detail?
Old 02-12-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallShadow View Post
Crawling up from the depths of the archives crypt:
This is the first I'd heard of the CD stocks having weapons cached. This changes the character of the situation.
.45Cultist, can you give the sources for some further detail?
This was a retired GM in Federal Law Enforcement. And They might have rolled old COG sites in with CD. I know some CD personnel were issued side arms, but long arms? He has cancer via Ranch Hand and is frequently in pain that morphine can't suppress.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I was well aware of LA's massive storm water drains and runoffs, they've featured in many, many movies but I didn't know about any subway systems. But yes, Los Angeles does have subways (something I didn't know until your question kicked my curiosity into gear!). Specifically it has two working lines and one abandoned line.
The working lines are the Red Line (16.4 mi / 26.4 km) opened in 1993 and the Purple Line (6.4 mi / 10.3 km) opened in 2006. The Purple Line runs most of its length on the Red Line although I am unsure if it has a physically separate track and platform system (seems unlikely). Extensions are planned for the subway system but funding appears to be a big problem.
The abandoned line was operating in the mid-1920s and had a short life, it ceased operations in 1955.

General info about the transit system including the subways
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_R...Angeles_County)
http://www.la-electric-travel.com/Lo...etro-Rail.html
Map of the passenger rail system (subways are red and purple)
http://subway.umka.org/map-los-angeles.html
Article from 2010 about subway expansion
http://secondavenuesagas.com/2010/11...-system-grows/
Article from 2012 about subway expansion
http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...-25-years-off/
And finally, (the most interesting one!), the abandoned system
http://www.awalkerinla.com/2012/05/1...iginal-subway/
http://www.uncanny.net/~wetzel/subwayarea.htm
http://laist.com/2008/07/12/laistory_the_19.php
Beware of "Them"! Have a flamethrower handy.......
Old 02-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Quote:
Beware of "Them"! Have a flamethrower handy.......
Aim for the antennae! Shoot the antennae!
Old 02-12-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Absolutely. Both of them. Would've preferred them to be a bit more "open world" though.
They said Metro Exodus will be more open world

(I'm gearing up to do a subway game)

Last edited by ChalkLine; 02-12-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:19 PM

There's stories about Australian saltwater crocs being transported to the US.
You do not want this.
(But they do like stormwater drains . . .)
Old 02-12-2018, 03:14 PM

"Armies of the Night" had a bit on subways used for transport, water and food(rats).
Old 02-12-2018, 03:21 PM

Subways will be the urban survivors first port of call when the bombs go off. They are usually well designed to be a blast shelter. The survivors will have to wait out the fallout somewhere and that flooding issue will definitely have to be addressed . . .
Old 02-12-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
This was a retired GM in Federal Law Enforcement. And They might have rolled old COG sites in with CD. I know some CD personnel were issued side arms, but long arms? He has cancer via Ranch Hand and is frequently in pain that morphine can't suppress.
At least some COG sites definitely had weaponry. I remember reading about when Greenbrier was revealed, the government ended up removing M-16s and M-60s from the site. I haven't heard of any with WW2 weapons, though.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:22 PM

Yes, I know its an old entry but Stainless is still around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I was well aware of LA's massive storm water drains and runoffs, they've featured in many, many movies but I didn't know about any subway systems. But yes, Los Angeles does have subways
Ahem! The Italian Job (2003). You don't dodge trains in the storm drain system :-)

Uncle Ted
Old 02-12-2018, 05:40 PM

I know that during WW2, London's subway system was used a bombshelter. (I believe that the system as since added additional layers both above an below the WW2 tunnels.)

London also has a number of old stations no longer in use, but that is of more interest to Dark Conspiracy than T2K.....

I know that Moscow's subway was designed to be used as a bombshelter at need, and was built particularly deep.

New York's Subway was not built with bomb shelter use in mind.

Does anyone know of other subway systems that incorporate civil defense in their design?

Uncle Ted
Old 02-12-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkated View Post
I know that during WW2, London's subway system was used a bombshelter. (I believe that the system as since added additional layers both above an below the WW2 tunnels.)

London also has a number of old stations no longer in use, but that is of more interest to Dark Conspiracy than T2K.....

I know that Moscow's subway was designed to be used as a bombshelter at need, and was built particularly deep.

New York's Subway was not built with bomb shelter use in mind.

Does anyone know of other subway systems that incorporate civil defense in their design?

Uncle Ted
Seoul. They're not designed for NBC warfare, but there are over 3,000 bomb/artillery shelters in Seoul, some of which are subway stations.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
At least some COG sites definitely had weaponry. I remember reading about when Greenbrier was revealed, the government ended up removing M-16s and M-60s from the site. I haven't heard of any with WW2 weapons, though.
Early CD(1950's) received surplus WWII gear, a lot of it. That was the "salad days" for CD equipment.

Last edited by .45cultist; 02-13-2018 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:06 PM

London does have some tunnels that could flood; there are special doors fitted near the Thames in case of emergency.

Also, there is a considerable difference between the oldest sub-surface lines (District, Circle, Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan) with main line size double-tracked tunnels and the deep level lines with smaller single bore tunnels.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:49 PM

Default Iron Mountain (Government Side)

The security at Iron Mountain is HEAVY. At least 8 PA120 certified officers per shift (That I actually saw, there could be more) with M4's and M9's. They also have helmets and ESAPI vests in the guard house and wear Level3A vests normally. They have the FULL ECM suit (chemical, radiological, metal detectors, and bomb dogs) for trucks and personnel entering the facility. It is manned EVERY DAY of the year (including Christmas) and all of the guard houses are fully armored to NIJ Level 4 (according to the window glass UL stickers).

There was a cache of small arms and demo (enough for one large demolition or a dozen small demos) to equip about a Battalion of MPs inside the COG storage site. I swapped the ammo there. There was also food (T-Rations "the family-sized mre," and MREs themselves) and durable medical supplies (bandages, slings, etc...) for about two weeks as well. There were 4 Hummers and 4 5-Tons too. I was told that this was ONE OF MANY COG caches in case of Nuclear War.