RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Internet Intellectual

Default OT Did the Syrian Civil War just go to WW3?

4/6/2017

59 cruise missiles from the U.S. Navy Destroyers U.S.S. Porter and U.S.S. Ross struck the Syrian Air Base Al-Shayrat southeast of the city of Homs. Purportedly a base occupied by Russian Armed Services personnel. The base where it is intimated the a Syrian Air Force fighter bomber was launched and dropped chemical weapons upon civilians at Idlib.

Did World War Three begin tonight?
Old 04-06-2017, 09:33 PM

My thoughts exactly!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:37 PM
Banned

Most likely not - Putin is many things but he wont risk war with the US over Syria - the Ukraine or Crimea yes - Syria no
Old 04-06-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Most likely not - Putin is many things but he wont risk war with the US over Syria - the Ukraine or Crimea yes - Syria no
I'm inclined to agree with you, but my concern is the effect of the strike on the deteriorating US and Iranian relations. There were supposedly Republican Guard units at the airfield. That could make things "interesting" in the Gulf.

This is a very Twilight-like action. President Trump, and I'm still debating whether I'm going to have to put HIS title in quotes like "President" Clinton and "President" GW Bush (I'm trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt but he acts like an IDIOT), seems to be the guy who might actually lead us into another major conflict.

Last edited by swaghauler; 04-06-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:09 AM

I think Iran and the US are heading for something, but that was happening long before this. I think frankly, this was a warning shot. Both sides are going to say silly things, then think long and hard about it and climb down of the ledge..

And if I am wrong, you can say "I told you so" as we are munching our MREs in the world of the post-apocalypse?

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 04-07-2017, 09:45 AM

I think Trump has put the rogue nations of the world on notice. You behave badly and you get hurt no matter who is backing you.

In the case of Syria I don't think anyone in the world is objecting to TLAM strikes on an airfield from were Syrian aircraft bombed civilians with chemical weapons, expect for Assad hiding in his bunker in Damascus, and the Iranians and Russians.

The Russians can blow wind all they like but they are not going to attack US forces in Syria because they will loose badly. The likes of Assad, Iran, North Korea and the other bogies are in for a rough four years ahead. Just watch what Russia and China do, which will be absolutely nothing!
Closed Thread