RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 04-04-2017, 08:35 PM

Default Dead Games Society, podcasts

http://dgsociety.net/

This is a podcast about old games, sometimes the two hosts talk themselves, sometimes they find a designer or developer to talk about old games. Lately, they are branching out beyond TSR, and yours truly volunteered to talk about T2k with them. {No air date yet}

I've prepped about 4 pages of notes for myself, stuff I want to say. Anyone have something they want me to throw on?

I pulled heavily from the "canon" document from FFE, does anyone have sales numbers for 2013, for comparison?

What I have in brief:
I. Setting
a.Post-Apocalyptic meets Military
b. 1980s and Cold War
i. background as written
ii. "What do we do now?"
iii. New America
c. Merc:2000
d. Traveller:2300/2300AD
II. Rules & Editions
a. 1st- rules summary
b. 2nd- changes
c. 2.2 & House/d20 System
d. End of GDW
e. T:2013
III. Modules & sourcebooks
a. numbers and settings
b. style
c. area & equipment sourcebooks
d. 2nd ed.
e. computer game
f. Challenge mag
g. Last Battle
IV. My experiences & others
a. "Escape from Kalisz" = "Keep on Borderlands"
b.-d. campaigns I've run
e. What it meant to me
V. Today?
a. Far Future Enterprises
b. Juhlin forum
c. Facebook group
d. Dogs of War at Origins
Old 04-04-2017, 09:15 PM
Banned

Probably want to mention that FFE is now releasing new material for the game with the release of the East Africa Sourcebook in your section V - i.e it would go straight to three places you have listed

V. Today?
b. Juhlin forum

i.e. how the Juhlin forum and the discussions there led to me and others creating fan canon material that eventually (in at least one case) was pitched to Marc Miller who now owns the rights to the Twilight 2000 game and resulted in the new canon material for the game being released - that instead of a dead game we now have, after a very long time, new official material being released for the game - hopefully the first of many new releases
Old 04-04-2017, 10:06 PM
Banned

As to sales numbers not sure on 2013 version - I know that the City of Angels printed about 2000 copies and that lowest regular module printing came out at about 4100 as per FFE
Old 04-05-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Probably want to mention that FFE is now releasing new material for the game with the release of the East Africa Sourcebook in your section V - i.e it would go straight to three places you have listed

V. Today?
b. Juhlin forum

i.e. how the Juhlin forum and the discussions there led to me and others creating fan canon material that eventually (in at least one case) was pitched to Marc Miller who now owns the rights to the Twilight 2000 game and resulted in the new canon material for the game being released - that instead of a dead game we now have, after a very long time, new official material being released for the game - hopefully the first of many new releases
I'd also mention guys like Paul Mulcahey, Chico, James Langham, Rainbow Six, Webstral, and so many others who kept writing stuff here and elsewhere, and brought this game clawing back.

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 04-05-2017, 10:50 AM

Don't forget that 3Hombres has an updated version of Dark Conspiracy out. As for Twilight2000, I disagree with everyone who says it faded away and then was "revived." Twilight might have gone out of print for a while, but it never really died.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
Don't forget that 3Hombres has an updated version of Dark Conspiracy out. As for Twilight2000, I disagree with everyone who says it faded away and then was "revived." Twilight might have gone out of print for a while, but it never really died.
"Over? Did you say over?? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no!" Bluto Blatarsky

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 04-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weiser View Post
I'd also mention guys like Paul Mulcahey, Chico, James Langham, Rainbow Six, Webstral, and so many others who kept writing stuff here and elsewhere, and brought this game clawing back.
Amen! And lots of it easily could be new canon material as well
Old 04-06-2017, 09:39 AM

It didn't make that "outline of an outline" that I posted here, but I definitely intended to speak of the many fan websites referenced here.

Olefin's new sourcebook has been added to the FFE entry.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:31 AM

Adm. Lee,
When are you slated to go on the show and when will it be released?

Old 04-13-2017, 06:56 PM

Recording was postponed from last Saturday to this.

Not sure when it will post. GaryCon was late in March, and the podcast about that dropped last week. I'd guess 2-3 weeks later?
Old 04-15-2017, 08:19 PM

Just finished recording. I didn't get to hit ALL of the things I wanted to say, but I did get in a lot of them.

I did mention the names of contributors, as we talked above, and I plugged FFE and the East Africa Sourcebook. I am throwing them links to many places, that they can add to their show notes on the DGS website.

EDIT: I slept poorly afterwards (adrenaline, perhaps?), so I had plenty of time to realize "Agh, I hardly mentioned vehicles!" "Drat, I never finished talking about autofire!" and so on. I suppose the point was to sell the setting & rules together to someone that never played at all, and there was only an hour, so it's all good.

Last edited by Adm.Lee; 04-16-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:04 PM

http://dgsociety.net/uncategorized/527/

And here it is. I haven't decided if I should listen to my own voice or not.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 PM

Default The price of fame

Now, some of the DGS people are asking me to run a game on Roll20.

Is that possible for T2k? I know nada about Roll20.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:00 AM

It was a good interview I enjoyed. I have tried playing T2K on Roll 20 but the game never materializes. Someone posts about the game the setting, it garners a lot of responses. The Gm says ok gets his players and sets a date, then,,,nothing.
Ive been told that when T2K has been played on Roll20 the GM will use GURPS or Savage Worlds system.
Yes id be interested in playing
Old 04-21-2017, 03:58 PM
Banned

Actually rolled up characters and was ready to play and the game never got started as well - and yes would love to play if possible - been way too long since the last game I was in - and that ended a lot earlier than I was hoping for
Old 04-21-2017, 06:26 PM

You did fine Lee. By the way, How's it feel to be the new "Face/Ambassador" of Twilight2000?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
You did fine Lee. By the way, How's it feel to be the new "Face/Ambassador" of Twilight2000?
Not sure how I feel about it, really. I'd like to make a game happen, and spread the love, but the technical hurdle, measured against time available, doesn't look good. At least not this weekend!
Old 04-22-2017, 07:41 AM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
As to sales numbers not sure on 2013 version - I know that the City of Angels printed about 2000 copies and that lowest regular module printing came out at about 4100 as per FFE
The 2013 core PDF is listed as a platinum product on DriveThruRPG, which is the top category. All that tells us is that it's sold over 1,000 copies - could be 1,001, could be 10,001. Far Future Studios should have exact figures.

The only person with concrete information on the physical edition's print run and sales figures is Keith Taylor (Smokewolf), former owner/operator of 93 Games Studio.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson

Last edited by Tegyrius; 04-22-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
Not sure how I feel about it, really. I'd like to make a game happen, and spread the love, but the technical hurdle, measured against time available, doesn't look good. At least not this weekend!
Take your time and do it right. There is nothing worse than a rushed/poorly planned game! We both know you are very detail oriented (or at least you were at Allegheny).