RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
given that amount having the Marines go to the RDF, the Hawaii troops go home to Hawaii and the rest go to CA makes a lot of sense - especially since the Marines would be going to join brother Marines still in combat in Iran
It makes sense if you have ample supplies of fuel. Even going to Hawaii would be a fairly significant detour.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
It makes sense if you have ample supplies of fuel. Even going to Hawaii would be a fairly significant detour.
There is fuel in the Middle East - enough to be able to get the 6000 men from Europe to the Middle East at the end of 2000 and to keep a small USN task force still active.

Thus using that fuel to retrieve the Marines (or possibly more) from Korea would be definitely possible as a way to do a Korean Omega - especially since they literally are the only reinforcements that the 3rd Army could draw upon - unless they can get the three divisions CivGov sent to Yugoslavia to join up with MilGov
Old 11-04-2017, 08:06 PM

Assuming that the continuation of the Cold War in the T2K timeline pushed the Australian Government to roll out the Collins-class submarines faster than in real-life (and notwithstanding the significant teething troubles the early boats of the class suffered), I'd love for a few Royal Australian Navy diesel-electrics to have shepherded the US evacuation fleet out of Korean waters.

Even in real life HMAS Collins and HMAS Farncomb were both commissioned and in operation by the start of 1998. It would be nice to think that at least 4 of the Collins-class boats were fully operational in the T2K timeline before the war was in full swing. When operating as designed they're really capable vessels. One or two of them surviving to 2000 wouldn't be out of the question.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Assuming that the continuation of the Cold War in the T2K timeline pushed the Australian Government to roll out the Collins-class submarines faster than in real-life (and notwithstanding the significant teething troubles the early boats of the class suffered), I'd love for a few Royal Australian Navy diesel-electrics to have shepherded the US evacuation fleet out of Korean waters.

Even in real life HMAS Collins and HMAS Farncomb were both commissioned and in operation by the start of 1998. It would be nice to think that at least 4 of the Collins-class boats were fully operational in the T2K timeline before the war was in full swing. When operating as designed they're really capable vessels. One or two of them surviving to 2000 wouldn't be out of the question.
Definitely like that idea - and at least one or two of them should have survived any conflict with Indonesia
Old 11-05-2017, 01:37 AM

One point we need to consider - Omega was only possible by the discovery of the tanker of oil. Admittedly the Korean evacuation is smaller but do they have the required oil?

Considering Australia has troops in Korea but is fighting a war with Indonesia, would they offer Australian citizenship and land (not a hard offer to make) in return for X years service in the Australian Army?
Old 11-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Banned

Thats why I am thinking a Korean Omega would be one that would be powered by oil from the Middle East

I.e. the 3rd Army (the RDF) arranges for enough oil to get the troops out of Korea and back home to the US but the price being that the Marines (at the very least) will be transported, with their tanks, to the Middle East to reinforce the RDF and give them what they need to finally beat the Soviets

That way they get their reinforcements and the rest go home

Or instead of a Korean Omega being to the US and partially the Middle East its actually the Middle East whole and entire - i.e. per what Chico was promulgating - and bring all 15,000 plus troops and their tanks to be able to give the RDF more than enough fire power to not only beat the Soviets but hold the area for as long as need be to get oil flowing back home again

then once that occurs sending back the whole RDF at a later date (3rd and 8th Army) - which would be more than enough to really take on Mexico, New America, or any remaining Soviet troops
Old 11-05-2017, 12:24 PM

Are there any clues in 2300?
Old 11-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham View Post
One point we need to consider - Omega was only possible by the discovery of the tanker of oil. Admittedly the Korean evacuation is smaller but do they have the required oil?
Good point, James. As Olefin has pointed out, there's lots of oil in the Middle East but getting it from there to Korea is a lot easier said than done. If it was easy, then the European Omega wouldn't have had to really on dumb luck for its fuel.

I'm thinking that I probably won't go the OMEGA route with the U.S. forces in Korea. I want to differentiate between the campaign settings at least a bit. A Korean OMEGA is a bit too derivative. I think I'll include a mission option that hints at a possible partial evac, but leaves the details (i.e. the numbers of troops leaving and their planned destination/s) up to the GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham View Post
Considering Australia has troops in Korea but is fighting a war with Indonesia, would they offer Australian citizenship and land (not a hard offer to make) in return for X years service in the Australian Army?
James, who are "they"? The Koreans or Indonesians? I can't parse this wording.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 11-05-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Good point, James. As Olefin has pointed out, there's lots of oil in the Middle East but getting it from there to Korea is a lot easier said than done. If it was easy, then the European Omega wouldn't have had to really on dumb luck for its fuel.

I'm thinking that I probably won't go the OMEGA route with the U.S. forces in Korea. I want to differentiate between the campaign settings at least a bit. A Korean OMEGA is a bit too derivative. I think I'll include a mission option that hints at a possible partial evac, but leaves the details (i.e. the numbers of troops leaving and their planned destination/s) up to the GM.

James, who are "they"? The Koreans or Indonesians? I can't parse this wording.
Sorry, the Australians,.