RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Favourite Movie

kcdusk 10-28-2005, 12:31 AM Hehe. Speaking of cans of worms (see fav gun thread), whats your favourite T2K/war movie?

I'm talking movie here, not just DVD.

For example Full Metal Jacket is a great movie, but the DVD is lacking (only 2.0 sound for a start).

So ... theres plenty to choose from ... fire away.

DeaconR 10-28-2005, 07:04 AM "Glory" is one of my favourites as is "Enemy at the Gates".

Targan 10-28-2005, 07:44 AM Glory and Enemy at the Gates, both great films, although I found Glory pretty depressing. Enemy at the Gates was not far from telling the real story behind the two main sniper characters, so that is cool. Platoon wis one of my favourite films, but it is more of a war film, less of the Twilight-type film. Call me crazy, but I liked Blackhawk Down.

pmulcahy 10-28-2005, 11:00 AM Well, I'll go for one of the obvious choices: Saving Private Ryan. I'll also take a less-obvious choice: Go Tell the Spartans, which deals with advisors in Vietnam before the American involvement started in earnest (it takes place in 1963-64).

abaumgartg 10-28-2005, 11:35 AM Perhaps I play I civilization which has fallen a little more, but I really like the Postman. The book is much better, but I liked the movie.

kcdusk 10-28-2005, 02:36 PM Loved Enemy at the gates.

Never heard of Glory

Saving Pri Ryan was a very good movie, on a great DVD. You can just forward to a particular scene, pump the volume up and watch small set pieces (even just the 3 minutes where they walk through a crop field, "Halftrack!" ... VROOOM ... whoose doing the shooting? ...)

Been to long since i seen go tell the spartans.

Blackhawk down is in the same boat as Saving pri Ryan for me, very good movie on a fantastic DVD.

You want crazy? I liked Red Dawn, which as a movie is very T2K.

Apocolypse Now .... gotta be close to the best war movie.

Abbott Shaull 10-28-2005, 05:23 PM Loved Enemy at the gates.

Never heard of Glory

Saving Pri Ryan was a very good movie, on a great DVD. You can just forward to a particular scene, pump the volume up and watch small set pieces (even just the 3 minutes where they walk through a crop field, "Halftrack!" ... VROOOM ... whoose doing the shooting? ...)

Been to long since i seen go tell the spartans.

Blackhawk down is in the same boat as Saving pri Ryan for me, very good movie on a fantastic DVD.

You want crazy? I liked Red Dawn, which as a movie is very T2K.

Apocolypse Now .... gotta be close to the best war movie.

There are several movies and most don't come to the tip of my tongue.

Enemy at the Gates, Saving Private Ryan, Apocolypse Now, Kelly's Heroes, Red Dawn, Sum of Fears, Postman, and serveral other.

There are several others that if I sat here to think for a brief period that would be listed, but my 4 month son is fussy so I won't try...lol

I guess Glory and Blackhawk Down would be added if I had ever watch them...lol Seriously haven't even seen parts of Blackhawk Down yet and only glimpse of Glory.

Oh, Periscope Down and In the Army Now for comic relieve...lol

Just some thoughts.

Abbott

Matt Wiser 10-28-2005, 06:12 PM Several to fit this topic, so here goes:

Favorite WW III movie (nuclear): By Dawn's Early Light. You see it all: a B-52 crew (and Rebecca DeMornay fills a flight suit very nicely, thank you!), the SAC underground and Looking Glass ABNCP, the E-4 NEACP, etc.

Favorite WWW II movie (conventional): Red Dawn. Granted, something like it was not likely to happen, but still...and all those realistic looking T-72s and BMPs, not to mention the Hind-As.

Favorite war movie WW II: Kelly's Heroes. This has plenty of potential for a T2K setting, just change the date, locale, Soviets for Germans, etc.

Favorite war movie post WW II: Blackhawk Down.

Favorite naval war movie (WW II): Midway. Sure, a lot of the combat footage was shot in 1944-45 in color, but it still told the story. Das Boot runs a very close second.

Favorite naval movie post WW II: Hunt for Red October. Clancy's first, and the best of the movies based on his books.

kcdusk 10-28-2005, 07:12 PM 3 Kings is a great movie. Could it be T2K? Weeeeel. They are "on there own", stealing vehicles, chasing gold, then "going home". So yeah, it fits.

Surprised Full Metal Jacket hasnt got a mention yet. Great movie, crap DVD.

ReHerakhte 10-28-2005, 07:28 PM Some of you have mentioned movies that you perhaps felt were a little... umm, cringe-worthy! How about Navy Seals? Forget pretty much all of the movie until the end, where they show the fight in ruined Lebanon.

I don't even bother with the rest of the movie, just fast forward to that last battle scene which reminds me in some ways of the Hue city street fighting scene in Full Metal Jacket where the Marines are trying to get rid of the Vietnamese sniper.

Red Dawn is a bit of a favourite simply because it is a Cold War movie.

I really liked By Dawns Early Light and well almost all the other movies mentioned so far but to really throw a spanner into the works...

Mad Max (the first and second movies) - shows the breakdown of society due to various factors, shows lawless zones (anarchy territories!), motorcycle gangs (brigands) stealing fuel and terrorizing locals, shows the city government making do with what they have (the police station is literally half-empty indicating a lack of equipment and personnel) and shows that those trying to keep the law are sometimes as nasty as those breaking it!

While the third movie is satisfying enough as a conclusion for the other two, it doesn't seem to generate the same atmosphere for me as the first two.

Cheers,

Kevin

kcdusk 10-28-2005, 09:06 PM Navy Seals. Well, i liked the movie, but thought die hards would pan it as being not realistic. For a SEAL team, they sure acted as individuals. Only my take, I have no military background.

IIRC, there's a big sniper gun in that movie, is that a Barrett .50?

shrike6 10-28-2005, 09:11 PM Alot of good movies have been mentioned. Alot of them are my favorites but to add to the list.....

The Beast/ The Beast of War - Afghanistan, 1981, and the Soviet Union is locked in a futile and bloody battle with the Mujahedeen. Separated from their patrol after a vicious attack on an Afghani village, a T-62 tank engages in a deadly game of cat and mouse with the local mujahedeen, led by the Afghan Taj. The tyrannical and increasingly unstable tank commander Daskal pushes the moral boundaries of the tank driver Constantine Koverchenko to the limits, with almost dire consequences. Sensing a mutiny, Daskal abandons Koverchenko to die in the desert at the hand of the Afghans, only to find that he's sealed his own fate.

Bravo Two Zero - An eight man SAS team inserted behind Iraqi lines during the Gulf War in January 1991. Their mission was to take out the scud missiles which Saddam Hussein was using to terrorize his enemies, as well as to sever strategic communication lines between Baghdad and North West Iraq. This top secret mission was called "Bravo Two Zero" and it was commanded by Sergeant Andy McNab. Of the eight who went out, only five returned. Dropped into "scud alley" carrying 210-pound packs, McNab and his men soon found themselves surrounded by Saddam's army. Their radios didn't work; the weather was brutally cold. And they had been spotted.

antimedic 10-29-2005, 08:30 AM The Winter War. Finns vs. USSR.

Stalingrad, the old and the new version

The Day After

Ride with the Devil- Civil War movie about the mid-west region and the raid on Lawernce Kansas by Quantrill

TiggerCCW UK 10-30-2005, 04:06 AM A lot of my favourites have been mentioned already, but I would like to add Band of Brothers. I know its not a movie, but it does show the dynamics of a smaller unit, rather than big battalions. By Dawns Early Light is one of my favourite movies ever, but I think the greatest war movie for me is 'A Bridge Too Far'. I know its not overly relevant to T2K, but its a fantastic show anyway.

pmulcahy 10-30-2005, 10:49 AM This is not really a favorite (it's too gross), but it is realistic -- Threads.

Tags
movies