RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Silenced Weapons-who uses'em?

Matt Wiser 07-15-2003, 06:05 PM Anyone on the forum have their PCs use silenced weapons? My PC (a SEAL LCDR) uses a H&K MP-5SDS whenever someone needs to be quietly shot (although sometimes it doesn't help when the target screams after being shot!). Does anybody else use Heckler and Koch-or are there other preferences?

Grimace 07-15-2003, 11:13 PM Yeah, I've had PCs who were more than a little infatuated with silenced weapons. MP-5SD3 were their favorite, but they tried to get pistols with silencers on them and everything.

They found that those silenced weapons worked pretty good at close range, but further ranges they weren't very good. Usually if you let the enemy get into close range like that, someone on the good guy's side is going to die. So they started carrying regular assault rifles as well as silenced weapons. Basically, it's one thing to look cool with your fancy weapon, and there's another thing to die uncooly with said fancy weapon.

jester770 07-16-2003, 01:06 AM Here is another factor to remember when using suppresssed weapons. The larger the caliber the louder the boom. But another thing is that the rounds themselves must be subsonicc otherwise the suppressor is useless since the sonmic crack would give away your PCs. So, when using these weapons, your PCs need a suply of subsonic ammo or if they choose to use standard ammo then their special weapons are basicaly useless. I actualy use that sort of thing in my gaames. It is a tactic that alot of my players hate, asnd love since it does make them thibnjk and adds realism.

I in more regular types of characters have allowed more recent silenced weapons that tend to have less velocity pistols like 380s, .32 calibers and of course modified .22s.

Such silencers can be made for these weapons quite easily.

Jess

Matt Wiser 07-16-2003, 01:19 AM Grimace-I was ahead of you on that. My SEAL only carries the H&K when it's really needed. His regular weapon is a FNC (SF guys get to carry generally whatever they want, so he carries the FNC.) Another SEAL (a female LT and the team XO) also uses an FNC, but both use the MP-5SDS as needed (the team has two).

But everyone in the Team also has an AKS-74-ammo resupply is generally easy-pick it up off the deceased enemy.

TR 07-16-2003, 02:24 AM All,

Suppressed weapons were always one of those things we carried only when required... we would carry suppressors for our handguns and subsonic ammunition (when we could lay our hands on some) but full blown integral weapons hurt our capabilities when engaging the enemy in regular firefights.

Now mission specifics were always different, on "Kidnapped" we were using a lot more mission specific gear including suppressed weapons. Sherman, my Ranger Sniper always had a prefrence for the M-21 with a suppressor when requirements dictated sentry removal from longer ranges.

It's now good with the modern range of suppressors, subsonic ammunition and weapons designed for suppressors it's a LOT easier compared to when I was first playing the game in the 1980's when suppressors were a lot more exotic.

I think at the time of "Kidnapped" Sherman was using a H&K MP-5A3 with a suppressor and various optics (i.e. night vision and or optical). Ah memories...

Oh well bows, knives and garrotes didn't require suppressors...

For those that haven't seen it I have some optional rules for suppressors on my page to check out...

http://www.wapahani.com/suppressors.html

Until Later

TR

Rainbow Six 07-16-2003, 04:16 AM My PC (German Fernspahtruppe) carried a crossbow for those occasions when a single silent kill was required.

Long arm was a G36.