RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 10-23-2017, 03:15 PM
Banned

Default off topic - love to know how that got there - sabot projectile

“On 10/22/17 at 1325 hours, Harrisburg Police were flagged down by a jogger on the Front Street River Walk at Peffer Street. The jogger advised the officer of a strange object in the river bank. Officers identified the object as a possible tank Sabot projectile. The area was secured and notification to the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) Bomb Squad was made.

At 1531 hours, PSP bomb technicians arrived and confirmed that the object was a Sabot projectile. The projectile was collected and taken into custody by PSP. An HPD bomb K-9 was summoned after the projectile was secured to verify that there were no other explosives in the area. No other objects were found."

Ok heard of losing a lot of stuff but a sabot projectile just randomly ends up in the river?
Old 10-23-2017, 03:23 PM

I've heard of worse, wait till you dig a foxhole in Graf and find a case of Panzerfaust warheads, just rotting away.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:57 PM
The Stat Guy

I saw a blurb on the Military Channel that just in Germany, 5600 unexploded bombs from World War 2 are found or dug during construction every year.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 10-25-2017, 07:31 AM

Finally saw a photo of the projectile, it looks like a 105mm APFSDS round, sabot is intact and there are no apparent rifling marks on the bands.

There are reports of writing on the round, but the photo I saw was still covered in us...

Just a guess, but I'll bet that someone pulled it off a service round, intending to use it for a trophy wall.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Banned

Luckily whoever found it wasnt a terrorist - that would have made a very very dangerous bomb part - especially with a shaped charge that could have propelled it. Still hard to believe it was found just sitting in the open
Old 10-25-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Luckily whoever found it wasnt a terrorist - that would have made a very very dangerous bomb part - especially with a shaped charge that could have propelled it. Still hard to believe it was found just sitting in the open
If it is a Sabot there is no shaped charge, if it was a full up US round it is an metal case with powder (that after having spent time in/around the river may or may not be water logged) the "warhead" is a titanium or DU (if combat round/steel if training) penetrater surrounded by a light metal ring (actually three pieces) that fall off after leaving the barrel. So the only thing that maybe could be made to explode would be the gun powder if it was not wet.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:00 PM
Banned

not really worried about the gunpowder or the round exploding - it sounds like the round is intact - i.e. the penetrator - if you found a way to propel it that would be bad news for anything it hits - so you cant make the round go boom but thats still a penetrator made to go thru armor if you can somehow propel it
Old 10-25-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
If it is a Sabot there is no shaped charge, if it was a full up US round it is an metal case with powder (that after having spent time in/around the river may or may not be water logged) the "warhead" is a titanium or DU (if combat round/steel if training) penetrater surrounded by a light metal ring (actually three pieces) that fall off after leaving the barrel. So the only thing that maybe could be made to explode would be the gun powder if it was not wet.
The picture I saw was just the penetrator and the sabot (the ring). It wasn't a complete round of ammunition.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
The picture I saw was just the penetrator and the sabot (the ring). It wasn't a complete round of ammunition.
I ave not seen any pictures of it, do you remember what color the ring was? Or how far past the end did the fin (or was it a cone) stick out?
Old 10-27-2017, 07:21 PM
Internet Intellectual

https://dauphin.crimewatchpa.com/hbg...s-object-found

Old 10-28-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
It looks to me like it is probably a training round. I say this because of one main thing with a secondary minor issue. The main thing is that the nose is bent and overall it does not look like it has taken that much damage. It is not long enough to be a 120mm war round (they are called long rod as they have very long rods) the secondary minor issue that makes me say probably is that it is fin stabilized and most of them were cone stabilized, but I have seen some early ones that were fin. So if it was a war round it is either a early one (made out of steel) or one from a country that does not use DU. But I think it is either a early fin stabilized 105mm training round that someone pried off out of the round, or a 120mm training round that someone put the extra band on to keep the Sabots from falling off, but either way I am thinking a training round, that even if re-purposed would be able to penetrate a civilian armored vehicle, but probably not even something as lightly armored as the Bradley.