RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 05-19-2009, 04:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971
Default Some T2K artwork i've done...

This is stuff from the artwork i had done for the Twiglight 2013 people, but they decided at the last minute that it just wasn't what they wanted.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Given I thought that the drawings were one of the weakest parts of the T2k13 rulebook (sorry smokewolf), maybe I will print these out and insert them in there .

As I said before AMAZING.

Last edited by kato13; 05-19-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:02 PM
The Stat Guy

I really love the one where the soldier is crying over the baby. Very touching.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 05-19-2009, 05:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
I really love the one where the soldier is crying over the baby. Very touching.
thank you.. that was one of the reasons they said they didn't want them. that it was to obviously drawn from the inspiration of the famous photo. but it really was something that shows how us grunts feel when we find chidlren who have been hurt or killed.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971
that was one of the reasons they said they didn't want them. that it was to obviously drawn from the inspiration of the famous photo.
I recognized the source as well, but it is a shame that your interpretation would have probably drawn scrutiny from a lawyer. Funny I remember seeing a few pics in the original T2k where I later saw the photo that inspired them. Guess it is more of an issue now.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Nice work NH'71. You're a talented guy. It's 93 Studios' loss.

I too have recognized the source photos for a lot of the original T2K artwork over the years. The guy on the cover of the v1 core set with the map case on his chest, for example. A lot of it was based on photos of grunts in Vietnam. It's funny how the artist tried to turn the old WWII era steel pot helmet into the more modern Kelvar "Fritz". He doesn't quite get it right.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 05-19-2009, 05:58 PM

The face of the second last one looks rather familiar - Not sure from where exactly, but my thoughts spring to Satellite Down for some reason....

Great work, there's some rare talent behind them!
Old 05-19-2009, 05:59 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
thank you.. that was one of the reasons they said they didn't want them. that it was to obviously drawn from the inspiration of the famous photo. but it really was something that shows how us grunts feel when we find chidlren who have been hurt or killed.
I remember one World War 2 photo, can't remember where I saw it, but it showed a British soldier running for cover...with a kid under one arm and a dog under the other. That was a picture that impressed me for its humanitarian aspect.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker
The face of the second last one looks rather familiar - Not sure from where exactly, but my thoughts spring to Satellite Down for some reason....

Great work, there's some rare talent behind them!
I had based her apperance on Emma...
Old 05-19-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I had based her apperance on Emma...
I meant the second last...
Old 05-19-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker
I meant the second last...
Oh sorry... tha's a currupt politician that i based on a photo of George Clooney that i had found.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:41 PM

Last edited by natehale1971; 05-19-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:52 PM
The Stat Guy

That motocross rider reminds me of a character one of the few female T2K players I've known had. Her character was a Japanese motocross rider who was in a competition in Poland when the war broke out. She made a very good scout.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Once again, nice work. I recognize the Soviet sniper one from a Ron Volstad plate in one of the Osprey Elite books. Volstad and Angus McBride are two of my favorite military illustrators.

I was just browsing through Armies of the Night and recognized scenes based on stills from the movies Big Trouble in Little China and Raw Deal, plus various B-movies I can't name. There's also one of a street gang leader based on a pic of Rob Halford of Judas Priest!
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

Old 05-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus
I was just browsing through Armies of the Night and recognized scenes based on stills from the movies Big Trouble in Little China and Raw Deal
ROFL. I totally remember the Raw Deal one now.

Excellent work on the second set Nate. Not only have you reignited some Morrow Ideas in my head you may also get me to pick up my Rapidograph pens again.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Once again, nice work. I recognize the Soviet sniper one from a Ron Volstad plate in one of the Osprey Elite books. Volstad and Angus McBride are two of my favorite military illustrators.

I was just browsing through Armies of the Night and recognized scenes based on stills from the movies Big Trouble in Little China and Raw Deal, plus various B-movies I can't name. There's also one of a street gang leader based on a pic of Rob Halford of Judas Priest!
That is one of my favorites, and i used the sniper one for something from when i first started playing T2k... i have about ten colorized versions of it that i've done. each one trying to experiment with different colorations. namely for my work on the 2300AD RPG stuff i had been exprimenting with. i just wish i cold find them so i can scan them.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:56 PM

Great Work Nate. I really like the armoured up truck, reminded me of our gun truck thread from a while back.

Glad to hear you are into T2300 as well.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:03 AM

Default nice work

I would like to see more .
Old 05-20-2009, 03:09 AM

Absolutely awesome work.

Very well done indeed...those deserve to be in print somewhere.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:51 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Talking fantastic work

very very good
Old 05-20-2009, 04:23 AM

Awesome pics. Its too bad 2013 didn't accept it. From the looks of their work, they seem to have needed all the (quality) help they could get.

Fine stuff.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:33 AM

Fantastic work Nate! Those should definitely be in print somewhere - maybe they can be used by someone on here for their new expansions?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:56 AM
bigehauser

Quote:
I thought I recognized those.

Pictures are great, but your ACUs are slightly off in a few of those...missing the IR chit covers, and three cell writing utensil pouch on the left forearm sleeve. Also, the cuffs and their velcro should be present. The rank insignia on the chest, unless it's a two star general or more, needs to be a two by two inch square. Note that with the first pic, the bottom part of the ACU coat blouses out more, following the cut of the male Vee shape of the torso that melds into his pelvic area. Finally, a very slight, but noticeable line goes down the center of the velcro shoulder sleeve insignia areas on either shoulder.

Sorry if I offend, I just have a very intimate relationship with the Army Combat Uniform.

Last edited by bigehauser; 05-20-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:22 AM
The Stat Guy

I missed out on the ACUs -- when I retired, we were still wearing the BDUs and DCUs.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
I missed out on the ACUs -- when I retired, we were still wearing the BDUs and DCUs.
To paraphrase Office Space "Well, I wouldn't say I missed the ACUs". The last major task I did as a supply sergeant - the day before I got out - was issue out the black berets to the whole unit. So I was on the tail end of the BDU era. But my friends that are still in are not fans of the ACU, for a host of reasons from fit, Army mickey-mouse about appearance, to the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of the camouflage pattern.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
Old 05-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Twilight: 2013 Baby

Send a message via MSN to smokewolf Send a message via Yahoo to smokewolf

Since it was brought up...for the record, I loved the work.

Unfortunately, many of the drawings submitted were images from famous people, recognizable imagery or scenes from movies/TV and thus derivative work. The inclusion of it would have been a copyright violation of the original work.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokewolf
Unfortunately, many of the drawings submitted were images from famous people, recognizable imagery or scenes from movies/TV and thus derivative work. The inclusion of it would have been a copyright violation of the original work.
I understand your position. It makes perfect sense in our letiginous society. Some of the work, though, appears original or based on open source/non-copyrighted images. Now that you've mentioned it, I'm wondering how GDW got away with some of the artwork they included (see my previous post) in the v1 and v2 materials- some of it is ripped right off of movie posters.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Now that you've mentioned it, I'm wondering how GDW got away with some of the artwork they included (see my previous post) in the v1 and v2 materials- some of it is ripped right off of movie posters.
Well GDW's death was partially due to lawsuits regarding copyright infringements. Admittedly it was TSR vs Gygax and not images but you can't be too careful nowadays.

Last edited by kato13; 05-20-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Twilight: 2013 Baby

Send a message via MSN to smokewolf Send a message via Yahoo to smokewolf

Quote:
I'm wondering how GDW got away with some of the artwork they included (see my previous post) in the v1 and v2 materials- some of it is ripped right off of movie posters.
You can do derivative works you just need permission from the copyright holder. Not sure about GDW or the artists they used, but could be they had permission.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Here is the most glaring example from the Armies of the Night module we discussed before.

Personally I cannot imagine a movie production house (nor Schwarzenegger for that matter) giving permission to use an image from a poster for a movie released in the same year the module was published. It was probably just a less litigious time. A lot has changed in the past 25 years.

edit (from 1980 to today the number of Lawyers in the US has increased from ~400,000 to ~1,200,000)

Last edited by kato13; 05-21-2009 at 03:27 AM.