RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 08-04-2017, 04:21 PM

Default Prime Base cylinder shape

In the original module the three main cylinders are shaped like cooling towers or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperboloid_structure. This type of structure has a lot of benefits. I am not certain that is has the correct type of strength for the application. How are the floors linked to the exterior shell?

Would an uneven load on a floor produce uneven and potentially damaging stress on the cylinder walls?
Old 08-05-2017, 08:01 AM

Tough questions and one I'm not finding a lot of yes/no answers to.

The original argument in the Prime Base module was that this structure provided superior strength, but the only mentions that I've found is that this type of construction is used in building water towers and cooling towers for nuclear reactors, nothing about underground. So, unless someone has better knowledge, then I think that this type of tower is a non-starter for Prime.

More traditional towers, domes and square and rectangular buildings then become viable for use.

An example could be a central command tower, with four living towers connected, with square/rectangular shaped workshops, labs and storehouse on two sides, and a series of agricultural domes, hydroponics gardens/fish farms and even frozen animals.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:55 AM

I am sure Bruce would have brought the formula with him for super concrete, stronger metals etc?

Or perhaps Morrow Industries has developed something suitable?