RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 06-15-2016, 06:34 PM

Default REFORGER continued?

Given V.1 as well as Webstral's excellent Storm in Germany...how does REFORGER proceed prior to the beginning of the early?

The REFORGERs in OTL got smaller and smaller after the very large 1988 "Certain Challenge" (124,800 participants, held Sept. 06-26)

There was no REFORGER in 1989 (OTL). With the crack downs by the Soviets, as per Webstral, it is likely that USAEUR was reinforced but perhaps not as part of an official REFORGER exercise.

"Centurion Shield 90" (OTL) involved about 57,300 soldiers and took place January 15 to 26. In Twilight 2000 I could see this being a bit larger as a way to respond to the crackdowns and coup.

"Certain Shield 91" saw only only 28,400 participants in mid-September (OTL). Again with the Cold War continuing, it would probably be a lot larger exercise. With the logistical nightmare that was Webstral's version of Desert Storm it is likely this exercise was a direct follow up used to implement improvements and change to enhance NATO's ability to cope with a large multi-theater reinforcement effort. I'm of the the mind that the US might see the need to increase it's force structure to create a deployment ready heavy corps. I introduced the 4th Armored and 14th Armored Cavalry Regiment with full equipment sets pre-stored on fast RO-RO ships.

In OTL 1992 saw "Certain Caravan" with ~20,000 in September and October. And the final REFORGER, 1993's "Chariot Fury" had a mere 2,000 participants with no real airlifts or sealifts. It was a large computer simulation.

I imagine in Twilight 2000 the 1992, 1993, and 1994 REFORGERS are large affairs with 60,000 - 100,000 troops involved.

The really interesting changes probably come in 1995. Nearly all REFORGER exercises occurred in fall after the harvest in West Germany. This was necessary as maneuvers occurred across a lot of prime farmland. The Soviet invasion of China occurred in August so I'm betting REFORGER 95, let's call It "Certain Guardian 95" was a much enlarged effort to send a message to the Soviets.
It's possible that some units from 1995 were left in West Germany.

In 1996 the West Germans may have used REFORGER as a cover to prepare for their invasion of East Germany. How would NATO feel about that?

Is there any material about REFORGER already written up? Is anyone interested in exploring the subject?

Benjamin
Old 07-20-2017, 12:30 PM

I know this is a really old post of mine, but I still find the history of REFORGER rather interesting. Does any one have any ideas about how better to incorporate it into the Twilight timeline?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2017, 12:56 PM

Regarding the airlift part of REFORGER, I wonder if there might have been a trickle of units flowing in from the States all during 1996, rather than a public exercise only in the fall. It might depend if the US high command was aware and were backing the German coup.