RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 02-07-2017, 07:05 AM

Default New equipment, bear spray

Had this sprung on me with my local gaming group, player wanted to add several canisters of bear spray to his team's equipment.

These canisters are lightweight (24oz), moderate duration (9-10 seconds), and with an effective range impacted by wind conditions (from 10-15 meters).

According to various websites, including US Parks, it is claimed that bear spray, when used against the animal's head, enjoys a 98% success rate in repelling black bear attacks, 100% success in repelling polar bear attacks, and no reported data in repelling Kodiak or Grizzly attacks (local experts claim that this just enhances the dining experience for these breeds)...

The argument used for these canisters is that with the anticipated population one-off, packs of scavenger animals would increase, use of these canisters would enable the team to frighten off these packs and converse ammunition. Sensible argument IMO.

Only disadvantage is that bear spray uses a 1-2% solution instead of the 0.2-0.5% solution used in pepper spray, it is strongly recommended that bear spray NOT be used against humans, supposedly causes extreme reactions requiring hospitalization....hmmmm, note to self, need to test this out.

Any who, any thoughts?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:52 AM

I don't see any issues with some sort of Pepper Spray but if it becomes an issue in the game there is an obvious fix: the pressurised canisters are 150 years old; the propellant gas might have leaked out
Old 02-07-2017, 10:33 AM

Realistically, most likely would have some sort of CO2 cartridge to "charge" the canister upon wakeup.

The more that I think about this, it does allow a non-lethal tool for the team'"s arsenal, it also argues for the issue of tactical batons and tazers. Perhaps not for individual issue, but a few carried on the vehicle for those special occasions.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:15 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt W View Post
I don't see any issues with some sort of Pepper Spray but if it becomes an issue in the game there is an obvious fix: the pressurised canisters are 150 years old; the propellant gas might have leaked out
I re-pressurize spray paint cans with about 10 seconds (or less) from the air compressor and pressure at 100 foot pounds. Sometimes necessary to finish a task and get all the paint. I may or may not have re-pressurised cans for "interactive" targets to shoot at.

Ooooooooooo rattle can OC pepper bombs! (evil intensifies)...... take expired paint cans... Boil pepper seeds to extra oleoresin of capsicum oil.. dehydrate to remove water. Use ethanol to make oil liquid. Add capsicum oil to syringe and force into pressure vessel. Pressurize with compressor...... emplace in trees above likely areas opfor will congrate....... When attacked shoot cans or alternatively use demo to rupture can.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
I re-pressurize spray paint cans with about 10 seconds (or less) from the air compressor and pressure at 100 foot pounds. Sometimes necessary to finish a task and get all the paint. I may or may not have re-pressurised cans for "interactive" targets to shoot at.

Ooooooooooo rattle can OC pepper bombs! (evil intensifies)...... take expired paint cans... Boil pepper seeds to extra oleoresin of capsicum oil.. dehydrate to remove water. Use ethanol to make oil liquid. Add capsicum oil to syringe and force into pressure vessel. Pressurize with compressor...... emplace in trees above likely areas opfor will congrate....... When attacked shoot cans or alternatively use demo to rupture can.
Or toss in a fire when targets are asleep!