VW Bug 1 5.26%
Honda Civic 0 0%
Oscar Mayer Weiner Mobile 7 36.84%
Other - See Below 8 42.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Default Favourite Civilian Pattern Car

I was wondering if you had too, what civilian vehcile would chose if you had too. Here are some that I came up with, but for me nothing and I mean nothing says Twilight 2000 1st ed like racing around Teaxs in the Red Star Lone Star Mod driving the Ocsar Mayer Weiner Mobile, with the song blaring and my co driver blasting away with an AK-47, RUN IVAN RUN

Oh, I wish I was an Oscar Mayer weiner, that is what I'd truly like to be, 'cause if I were an Oscar Mayer weiner, everyone would be in love with me.

Last edited by rcaf_777; 01-17-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-2011, 05:28 PM

Better idea: IMHO

Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobile, tooling through Texas, Wagner's "Ride of the Valykyries" basting through the sound system.

OBTW:

The Hot DOg swivels to reveal a 5.56 chain gun.....

ROTF, LMAO with the visual in my head....Make it stop.....PLEASE, make it stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:09 PM

Default VW Bug

Parts should be easy to find, at least in North America and Europe. Also the modification possibilities are almost endless. Insert assorted Mad Max pictures here
Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 PM
The Stat Guy

Yeah, how about an AMC Pacer!

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 01-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Sabre Ready!

Send a message via AIM to Panther Al

OMG... next time I play, and its in the US, I am *so* doing the Gatling wiener-mobile.

Proud fan(atic) of the CV90 Series.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:02 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Al View Post
OMG... next time I play, and its in the US, I am *so* doing the Gatling wiener-mobile.
A Gatling shooting hot dogs!

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 01-18-2011, 05:12 AM

Don't forget about the flamethrower mounted at the top of the "Hot" Dog!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:28 AM

Land Rover Defender.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Land Rover Defender.
Good call...
Old 01-18-2011, 09:04 AM

Aye, good thing about the Series I - IV (Defender) Land Rovers is that most of the components are interchangeable, and the damn thing is that rugged its unbelievable to say the least.

Interesting Titbit of info, after we lost the SS Atlantic Conveyor to an Exocet during the Falklands, thus meaning the Army lost a tonne of Land Rovers, the military grabbed some "civvy spec" vehicles, and realised that it worked as good as the old "mil spec" that they had, so they ended up only asking for about 5 changes to the civvy spec for the new mil-spec ones, hence the Land Rover Wolf, that is now being withdrawn from frontline due to the increase in IED's since the troubles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Series#Military

Mostly a sci-fi nut, who plays a few PC games.
I do some technical and vehicle drawings in my native M20 scale. - http://braden1986.deviantart.com/
Old 01-18-2011, 12:09 PM

I want a Ferrari Enzo, purely so that I can leave the site of any err, "unpleasantness" a hell of a lot faster than the bad guys can follow me.....

Or a Bentley Continental, so my chauffer can drive me away in style...
Old 01-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Toyota Hilux crew cab. Toyota's are fairly durable, reliable, easy to maintain, and have decent class fuel mileage. If it's good enough for U.S. Special Forces, it's good enough for me.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 01-18-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Toyota Hilux crew cab. Toyota's are fairly durable, reliable, easy to maintain, and have decent class fuel mileage. If it's good enough for U.S. Special Forces, it's good enough for me.
I was just going to type this. They're EVERYWHERE (except the US since I think 2006), so part wouldn't be a problem, and they damn near indestructible, ask Top Gear
Old 01-18-2011, 03:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk - Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPnIpjodA8 - Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFnVZXQD5_k - Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl3bsL7Nbnk - Hilux as an Amphibious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTVPPTV-bQM - not a Hilux, but fixes one main problem.

Or you could go with this nice little runner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdrlWR-yFM -- and that Glossop lot, its a bunch of bikers. I know them, I use to live there.

Mostly a sci-fi nut, who plays a few PC games.
I do some technical and vehicle drawings in my native M20 scale. - http://braden1986.deviantart.com/
Old 01-19-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvyws View Post
I want a Ferrari Enzo, purely so that I can leave the site of any err, "unpleasantness" a hell of a lot faster than the bad guys can follow me.....

Or a Bentley Continental, so my chauffer can drive me away in style...
I like that line of thought. Make mine a Ferrari Testarossa, that way I can feel like Sonny Crockett. I could also use it to pick up on scavenger babes thought the badlands. I'm sure that joyride would only last me like 30 minutes before the car is ruined from driving on damaged roads or someone lighting it up with weapons fire, but hey it was cool as ice for those few short moments. Without gas I'd be walking shortly anyway so why not enjoy one of your last drives of your life. I think your better off riding a horse or walking instead of driving a civilian car in the Twilight 2000 world. Your car can't stop shit and everyone sees and hears you coming.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 PM

toyota hilux. or a Kia bongo truck.

hilux has MG mounts with a cheap COTs upgrade kit

bongo because you can carry an entire recce platoon loaded for bear and still have room for more guns plus it can take one helluva beating and keep going through the worst paths i've run them through (not that my old unit would ever "borrow" a vehicle from a local...)
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavtroop View Post
I was just going to type this. They're EVERYWHERE (except the US since I think 2006), so part wouldn't be a problem, and they damn near indestructible, ask Top Gear
CT,

I think the Hilux is the brand name for what would be considered a 4Runner in North America. They are not exactly the same but similar enough for pretty much all purposes. If so, they are ubiquitous here, too.

Like the Land Rover replacements, in Canada and the USA similar civilian vehicles are also used for light military transport. I'm not sure what the American 3/4 ton truck equivalent is called, but in the last decade the CF has been buying the 2003 Chevy Silverado MILCOTS (Military Civilian Off the Shelf), aka "Milverado".

The Milverado supplements and replaces the Bombardier-built Iltis jeeps. Although buys only occurred in our timeline once additional wartime funding was allocated to the CF in 2003, there's no reason this process would not have taken place in the 90's in the leadup to or after war is declared.

Tony
Old 01-20-2011, 05:21 AM

Lamborghini LM002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_LM002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-1tBhVcAXg
Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 AM

I'll be very french but my choice (T2K choice I mean) will go to two french cars. Either a citroen 2CV or a Peugeot 504 (If unavailable, I would go for the VW Bug). All had great strong points:

Citroën 2CV (deudeuche for those familiar with it):
- It will almost never die on you. In 1990, I found one dating back from 1954 in a dusty storage. It had not run for 15 years. We cleaned the engines and it started (also it couldn't run above 40mph). The fun part is that you still could start it by hand power.
- If it does, you can fix it with minimal tools. However, it is noisy very noisy.
- It can travel with 7 people in it (2 in the front, 3 in the back and 2 siting on the open roof) and still climb a hard slope (I'm sure as I did it, but actually we were 8).
- You can fit a weapon on the roof
- It will get you through rough terrain almost as well as a jeep

Peugeot 504
- As the deudeuche, it will never die on you.
- It can also be fixed with ease (ask those taxis still running in the middle of Africa)
- It is much bigger than the previous one
- If it's a diesel, it can run on 100% vegetable oil. As it will also run on domestic fuel you will seriously reduce your fuel supply problem (at least in Europe).

Whatever, Make a choice is hard but I would use a pre-1975 car. Even a "Trabant" will do fine. It was tricky but, in the end, it would always start.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:38 AM

The 504 is a great car - we had 4 or 5 of them over the years when I was growing up I don't remember us ever having any real mechanical problems with them at all.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

Mo,

The French vehicles are good choices! As long as it runs and is easy on maintenance, then there is a clear advantage. Off-road would be important, too, although most of the time it seems to me that PCs in vehicles tend to still stick the road. (Not all the time, but it seems when they need to go somewhere in a vehicle they need to go fast!)

I noticed something about RCAF's original choices. I don't think there is a "Chevy Roadmaster". There's the classic "Buick Roadmaster" (the same vehicle from Stephen King's From a Buick Eight). There's also the return of the mark in 1991 as basically a station wagon and then sedan.

Tony
Old 01-21-2011, 04:28 PM

There's a small problem with the 2CV.

The bad guys aren't going to bother shooting at you. Four of them are going to wander over, pick it up, and turn it over so its on its roof and going nowhere.

[Someone not too popular had one of these when I was at college. We used to do this to his car about once a week. If we were in a good mood, we would let him get out first...]

Ah, the lighter side of the Apocalypse!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
There's a small problem with the 2CV.

The bad guys aren't going to bother shooting at you. Four of them are going to wander over, pick it up, and turn it over so its on its roof and going nowhere.

[Someone not too popular had one of these when I was at college. We used to do this to his car about once a week. If we were in a good mood, we would let him get out first...]

Ah, the lighter side of the Apocalypse!
At least you need four bad guys. By the way you could have been brighter and the guy much less lucky. You can strip a 2CV of its body and remake it in less than 1:30 hour. To strip it of its body you need a simple key of 8 (for the 3 screws holding the sides), a crank of 19 ( for the 4 nuts holding the front part), for the hood you go by hand) and another key of 11 to get the doors. Then, you could have make it appear as normal until he would have opened the door.

I hope my words are the good ones.

Too bad you didn't know that at the time.

Last edited by Mohoender; 01-22-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:03 AM

No, the Mini had a more or less flat roof, while the 2CVs curved nicely. Phase 2 was rocking the car back and foreward until he was seasick....

Ah, we were a lovely buch! Supported the view I once heard that any group of sailors operating ashore in a game should check their morale as "barbarians"!

Anyway, the Mini is fairly nippy, even with those tiny wheels, and could leave the area before being caught and inverted.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
No, the Mini had a more or less flat roof, while the 2CVs curved nicely. Phase 2 was rocking the car back and foreward until he was seasick....

Ah, we were a lovely buch! Supported the view I once heard that any group of sailors operating ashore in a game should check their morale as "barbarians"!

Anyway, the Mini is fairly nippy, even with those tiny wheels, and could leave the area before being caught and inverted.
Agree, I checked that's I why I changed
Old 01-22-2011, 08:17 AM

I bet you don't know what many people were saying: that a 2CV could make 0 to 60 in about a day.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender View Post
At least you need four bad guys. By the way you could have been brighter and the guy much less lucky. You can strip a 2CV of its body and remake it in less than 1:30 hour. To strip it of its body you need a simple key of 8 (for the 3 screws holding the sides), a crank of 19 ( for the 4 nuts holding the front part), for the hood you go by hand) and another key of 11 to get the doors. Then, you could have make it appear as normal until he would have opened the door.

I hope my words are the good ones.

Too bad you didn't know that at the time.
But.....

see, we were the Deck (seaman) trainees.

The engineers were our mortal enemies. (the 2CV owner was a [spit!] engineer).

Dismanting it was an engineer task, obviously.

As deck types, our options were limited to inverting it, repainting it [we did that once), or throwing it into the river Clyde - which would have been unseamanlike...
Old 01-22-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
But.....

see, we were the Deck (seaman) trainees.

The engineers were our mortal enemies. (the 2CV owner was a [spit!] engineer).

Dismanting it was an engineer task, obviously.

As deck types, our options were limited to inverting it, repainting it [we did that once), or throwing it into the river Clyde - which would have been unseamanlike...
We tied one to a AVLB....then folded the bridge so the 2CV was left about 30 feet in the air.

Also saw a VW Beetle that tried to beat a M-60 tank through an intersection, didn't know that the front end could be squashed so flat!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
Also saw a VW Beetle that tried to beat a M-60 tank through an intersection, didn't know that the front end could be squashed so flat!
Normal, the engine is at the rear. However, I once saw one doing the same with a BMW. The BMW had its front down, the VW simply had a scratch. M60 was simply a little too much.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:03 AM

When you start talking about civilian vehicles meeting military vehicles...

There is a story from Ft Knox, Kentucky about a M-60 tank and a 18-wheeler.

There is a highway called US 31E that cuts right through the middle of Ft Knox, the main maneuver area is on the south side of the post, while the gunnery ranges, gold vault, and main post or on the north side. There is a tank crossing that is marked and lighted to warn of movement of vehicles from one side to the other.

One night a tank crew of officers from the Officer Basic Armor Course were driving their tank through the crossing, a semi and trailer ran the warning lights and hit the tank just about dead center on its left side at what was later determined to be at a speed of 75+mph. The damage was extensive...

To the semi.

The semi was completely demolished, I was on the scene of the accident the next day and the only word to describe the wreckage was "confetti". Total damage to the tank...$600.00. The left rear sponson box and fender were destroyed.