RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2015, 05:24 PM

Default AutoNav map for Liberation at Riverton?

Hey all,

Glad to find you guys. Unfortunately, I found you because I am in a bit of a spot.

Some time ago, I loaned out my first-edition copy of "Liberation at Riverton" and it apparently came back without the AutoNav map insert (something I did NOT know at the time!). As in, the guy I lent it to has since moved away with no forwarding address...

The reason I bring this up is that I have a bunch of newbies who have been bugging me to run them on their first MP adventure. Naturally I chose "Riverton", but while reviewing my copy of the module, I found the player map to be missing!

Is there any chance that anyone here has (or can make) a scan of the Autonav map screen so that I have something to print out and hand to my players? Considering it is their first MP adventure, I kinda really need it!

Joseph Benedetto Jr.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:46 PM
Internet Intellectual

Ok, how do I know you are who you say you are?

Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Internet Intellectual

Old 03-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Internet Intellectual

Old 03-02-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Ok, how do I know you are who you say you are?

Huh. *frowns* Honestly, being me, that thought never occurred to me.

I don't know. How can would I prove I *am* who I am?
Old 03-02-2015, 06:53 PM

Although, on a side note, the Google map of Camp Grayling is pretty fascinating, since it implies a hell of a lot more of the camp than is given to us in the RIVERTON module. I had not thought about a sat view.

~Joseph Benedetto Jr.

Oh! I know how to prove I'm *me* ... I can recount some of the tales of my days PD'ing the absolutely WORST players in the history of the Morrow Project RPG!

Seriously, dudes, if you have never heard about some of the players I got saddled with *shakes head*
Old 03-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Benedetto Jr View Post
Huh. *frowns* Honestly, being me, that thought never occurred to me.

I don't know. How can would I prove I *am* who I am?
We just regularly get people asking for free scans of the MP modules which I am not inclined to give out. I would like to see Timeline thrive and grow with probably some newly formatted and updated writes of the original modules.

Anything can happen, right" The Kickstarter worked.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:19 PM
Internet Intellectual

Old 03-03-2015, 05:39 AM

If you want a cleaner version of the auto-nav

http://braden1986.deviantart.com/art/Autonav-371250161

Mostly a sci-fi nut, who plays a few PC games.
I do some technical and vehicle drawings in my native M20 scale. - http://braden1986.deviantart.com/
Old 03-03-2015, 06:30 AM

Default How did you do that?

ArmySgt., How did you do that graphic with the Google Earth overlaid onto the AutoNav sheet? That is so cool. I have some knowledge of using computers but that beats the dickens out of my skill!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:18 AM

I'm assuming he used Photoshop, although I am more of a GNU man myself...
Old 03-03-2015, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Because I tried to build an autonav before, happen to have a Google Maps API key, and understand much of the code I was able to throw this together in about 15 min

http://maps.juhlin.com/test.html

You can drag, zoom, and flip map/satellite the map via the portion you can see on the bottom. When you zoom it zooms the "center" of the underlying map (which is not the center of the circle). It takes a bit of trial and error to get what you want but with this you only have to crop out the bottom portion of the map.

Thanks to LBraden for the template.

Edit; Made it so you can drag the whole map now. Ie not supported (use the bottom of the map) Firefox 3.6+, Safari 4 and Google Chrome should be good.

Last edited by kato13; 03-03-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
We just regularly get people asking for free scans of the MP modules which I am not inclined to give out. I would like to see Timeline thrive and grow with probably some newly formatted and updated writes of the original modules.

Anything can happen, right" The Kickstarter worked.
True. But I am NOT looking for a scan of Project File R-001, nor even of the Autonav itself -- just the circular map screen of Riverton.

...which is a moot point what with the arrival of this morning's mail, since one of my former players who is snowed in up in NH mailed me *his* old copy of the module, so I can use that one for my upcoming session. The Google Earth view you provided is nice, but I'd really rather use a topo map view, even if it *is* crudely done. But thank you for the assistance. (and that Autonav braden1986 did is WAY cool!)

As to NOT giving out free scans of the modules, DON'T. Three of them are by ME, and while I'm not getting paid royalties for them, I still would prefer to see Timeline make some money off of their sales to support the ongoing edition of the game.

(Hey, I didn't shove a sizable chunk of my writing career into this RPG just to see it wither and die. I nearly did, but the game shouldn't!)
Old 03-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
ArmySgt., How did you do that graphic with the Google Earth overlaid onto the AutoNav sheet? That is so cool. I have some knowledge of using computers but that beats the dickens out of my skill!
Quote:
I'm assuming he used Photoshop, although I am more of a GNU man myself...
Microsoft Power Point.

I took a screen shot of the Google Earth Image (print screen button on your keyboard). I pasted that into MS Picture Manager so I could convert the image from a bitmap (.bmp) to both .jpg and .png files; so I could decide which I like better.

I pasted that into MS Power Point. Select the image and the "pictures tab" appears on the tool bar. I used "Sharpen" to remove the haziness, and changed "Contrast" to lighten the picture and make some more difference between forests and roads.

Then "Pictures" has a select of digital frames. So I chose a round frame and resized the photo to fit a Autonav circular map image.

The license has run out on my edition on Photoshop but, I haven't really learned much about how to use it on my own.

I have a working copy of Image Ready but, to many tools and I don't get far with it really.

I may take photoshop at my local community college just because I can see the usefulness as an RPG gamer to make really great visual aids.

Last edited by ArmySGT.; 03-03-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:49 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBraden View Post
If you want a cleaner version of the auto-nav

http://braden1986.deviantart.com/art/Autonav-371250161
Thank you, I have a saved copy. I haven't had any luck integrating your beautiful autonav with the .png image of the screen shot from google earth.

I am limited in size by MS Powerpoint to what would fit on a common sheet of paper. With Image Ready I could integrate the two and anyone could make it as large or small as they like.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
True. But I am NOT looking for a scan of Project File R-001, nor even of the Autonav itself -- just the circular map screen of Riverton.

...which is a moot point what with the arrival of this morning's mail, since one of my former players who is snowed in up in NH mailed me *his* old copy of the module, so I can use that one for my upcoming session. The Google Earth view you provided is nice, but I'd really rather use a topo map view, even if it *is* crudely done. But thank you for the assistance. (and that Autonav braden1986 did is WAY cool!)

As to NOT giving out free scans of the modules, DON'T. Three of them are by ME, and while I'm not getting paid royalties for them, I still would prefer to see Timeline make some money off of their sales to support the ongoing edition of the game.

(Hey, I didn't shove a sizable chunk of my writing career into this RPG just to see it wither and die. I nearly did, but the game shouldn't!)
Oh, I can make it a topo map, there is a .kmz file that converts the Google Earth image to a topographic map. I use it camping and hiking here in Colorado. You add the file from here to do that. http://www.earthpoint.us/TopoMap.aspx

The print doesn't look like a topo map, I didn't see any elevation contour lines. That could mean it is just very flat there though.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Internet Intellectual

Old 03-03-2015, 04:03 PM
Internet Intellectual

Old 03-03-2015, 05:04 PM

Try Paint.net http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

It is free and does most things Photoshop does, but is a bit simpler.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

If you need a web resource for topo maps of the us you can go here

http://mapper.acme.com/

buttons for topo are on the top right.

The mapnik option would also be useful if you plan to use maps in any situation where Google copyright might enter the picture as it is open-source. Please do not construe this as legal advice but I believe that if you attribute it properly you can use them in games.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ

Quote:
3c. If I make something with OSM data, do I now have to apply your license to my whole work?

No. For example, if you have written a game or published an artistic map which includes OSM data, only the data is covered by the license. This is called a Produced Work.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:56 AM

You can also get topographical maps for free as PDF from http://store.usgs.gov. Just click on the Map Locator and Downloader link and pick the areas and year you want. Most maps I found from 2011 and 2014 are 7.5 minute. The ones from 1989 vary greatly in the scale.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:33 AM

Good Lord, KATO13, that is a really awesome thing you put together there.

I feel so damn old now. We did everything by hand with photocopies and *literal* cut-and-paste with actual scissors and tape.

ArmySGT, WAY cool! The topo maps really do add so much more than the original module. (Although they can sometimes lead players to go off on wild tangents because they saw something on the topo map that has nothing to do with the module.)

You know, I never did find out why the first module fictionalized all the place names and details...
Old 03-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Internet Intellectual

Maybe we should begin a fan collaborative rewrite of "Liberation at Riverton".

Starting with the name....... No river features in this terrain.

Grayling gone wrong? Liberation at Grayling? Chain breaker?
Old 03-06-2015, 06:36 AM

Grayling is the riverhead for the AuSable river. Grayling is also the starting point for an annual canoe race from there to Alpena on Lake Huron. Granted, the AuSable really can only be navigated by canoe and kayak, but the numerous hydroelectric dams along it create dam ponds that can sport small boats.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Internet Intellectual

Old 03-13-2015, 07:19 PM

You should add the other impact area north east of Grayling as well. It is pretty much the area north of the east most spot you have labeled "N. Guard Motorpool" all the way to the county line north and east to about the edge of the map.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:40 PM
Internet Intellectual

Looks like a Tank Gunnery range to me.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:11 PM

Yes it is Sgt. It is also used for simulated bombing runs an even live bombs from time to time.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:28 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin798 View Post
Yes it is Sgt. It is also used for simulated bombing runs an even live bombs from time to time.
North west of this (and off this map) is an artillery range with simulated building using connexes. Some patterned on europe and some middle eastern in organization.