RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 11-20-2017, 06:51 AM
Registered Registrant

Default Remember the guy who created rules for wildfires in T2K?

I can't recall his name, but as I was trawling through old links to see if any of them still worked, I found his webpage is still available at the Internet Archive. While he also did some work on WW2 setting for the game, he has some rules and equipment for fires in Twilight: 2000.
Some of the newest members here may not be aware of it and it was good info so here's the link: -
http://web.archive.org/web/200604241...t2000main.html
Old 11-21-2017, 09:29 AM
The Stat Guy

I wonder if I can post these rules on my web site as I have his WWII Sourcebook?

I don't know his name, just his email address listed (which no longer works, and a web search turns up no new email addresses). I posted his WWII web site for the players and with a note that I would pull it if he sees it and wants me to.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 11-21-2017, 06:43 PM

His site is why I decided to focus on the First World War. I didn't want to duplicate what other people were doing, and Paul's got most of the modern stuff, and that site had WW2, so I moved further back to WW1.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:49 PM
Registered Registrant

I actually get a little sad when I look at those now dead links because finding them when I first got the internet opened up whole new vistas for gaming and so on. I know those sites had an impact upon other players around the world and not just me, as can be seen by your comment The Dark and this is part of what drives me to relist them here if I find some access to them.

@pmulcahy11b
Paul, I personally feel that these sites need some sort of effort to preserve them and considering you're already hosting his WW2 material, I would "guess" that he wouldn't object to you hosting his wildfire information. Some of these sites have been abandoned for a decade or more, (the wildfire website was mid 2000s so it's probably about 15 years old by now) and to me it seems a big loss of fan-made content if they are not preserved in some form.

But part of my desire to see it preserved is not simply because it's more info for the game, I also feel that these lost websites show the progress of fan-made contributions over the last twenty years since GDW closed down. These sites are part of the history of the game and RPGs in general and it's for this reason that I particularly applaud Kato for seeking to archive threads from some of the earlier T2k forums.
So I say, go for it, host the info on your site, everyone knows that you do this for the benefit of the whole T2k community so I don't believe there is any harm in you posting it on your site and hopefully the original author feels the same way.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Some of these sites have been abandoned for a decade or more, (the wildfire website was mid 2000s so it's probably about 15 years old by now) and to me it seems a big loss of fan-made content if they are not preserved in some form.
The death of Geocities meant a good bit of fan-made content for various games vanished. I had been doing stats for Robotech mecha for another game, and lost about half of my work, and completely lost my conversions of BattleTech mechs to another system. For T2K 2.2, the one that kills me is that Aether Traveller apparently didn't survive its transition. That site had all sorts of conversions from Ogre, S:1889, and 2300 to the House Rules, but even with oocities and the Internet Archive, a lot of it seems to be broken now.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:31 PM
Registered Registrant

I remember Aether Traveller That guy (I believe his name was Jerry something-or-other), also had conversions of AD&D creatures to T2k 2nd Ed stats so that they could be used for Dark Conspiracy and Cadillacs & Dinosaurs.
One of the worst problems I've encountered with the robotic crawling & copying of various websites as done by such archive sites as the Internet Archive, is that they don't follow many (if any) of the links on any given page. So while you have the frontpage, any links to additional content are purely luck-of-the-draw if they have been included in the archive
This is very obvious when you try to browse the archive pages of the old RPG Host and Web RPG forums, you might get the main page and a few sub-pages but very few of the actual threads were captured and preserved

However with Aether Traveller, I've found that many of the links were preserved but you have to be prepared to trawl around the Internet Archive Wayback Machine through the years of about 2005 to 2008. It seems that 2006 was one of the better years for the Wayback Machine to capture links from Aether Traveller.
I only really had one issue with Jerry's work, he used volume for size measurements for equipment while most other sites used typical dimensions of height/length/width, so it sometimes required a bit of extra research to incorporate his gear into your own game.

For those who don't have the links: -
General page - 2008: https://web.archive.org/web/20081006....com/index.htm
As mentioned above, while there's a number of broken links, sometimes you can find a working version if you select a different year.