RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Period Intel: Body Armor (Long) Part I

TR 07-04-2004, 10:08 PM Some earlier postings from jtar7242 about body armor got me to thinking...

I dug up my Jane's Security CO-IN 1989-1990 edition and began making notes.

This is not complete but I thought I would post it here for everyone, ultimately when I finish this I will post it on my site. I still have the UK, USA and Yugoslavia to finish up, then cross refrence in the 1992-1993 CO-In edition to it for new models.

Before anyone thinks this is all trivial as it's out of date check back in a couple weeks when the 1998-1999 CO-IN I ordered arrives from England.

Period Research - Body Armor -

Source: Jane's Security & CO-IN Equipment 1989-1990

In The Beginning...

Defining Grades Of Body Armor

Level I

22 Long Rifle standard lead bullet, 22 Long Rifle high velocity, 22 Winchester Magnum FMJ, 38 Special lead bullet, 45 Auto Colt FMJ

Level II - IIA

22 Winchester Magnum FMJ, 38 Special FMJ, 38 Special Norma Softpoint, 357 Magnum Jacketed Softpoint - FMJ & Jacketed Hollow Point, 9mm Federal FMJ, 9mm ATE Federal FNJ, 44 Magnum Norma JSP

Level III

357 Magnum Norma FMJ, 9mm Norma FMJ, 9mm ATE FMJ, 44 Magnum Norma JSP, 44 Remington JSP

Level IIIA

357 Magnum Norma FMJ, 9mm Norma FMJ, 9mm ATE FMJ, 44 Magnum Norma JSP, 44 Remington JSP, 12 Gauge OO Buckshot, 12 Gauge Bernneke rifle slug

Level IVA

357 Magnum Metal Piercing (MP), 357 Magnum SFM THV, 38 Special THV, 7.65mm Auto THV, 9mm THV, 45 ACP THV

Level IVB/C

7.62x39mm FMJ, 30 US Carbine FMJ, 7.62x51mm NATO FMJ, 12 Gauge Blondeau slug, 5.56x45mm NATO FMJ

Level V

7.62x39mm AP, 7.62x51mm NATO AP, 30-06 AP, 5.56x45mm NATO AP

TR 07-04-2004, 10:10 PM Here's the continuation of the previous info...

TR

Nations Of The World

(Or Who Had Body Armor in 1990?)

Belgium

Manufacturer: Browning SA, Herstal

Entry: Model P302 Vest

Description: Lightweight vest with a wide belt and selg-gripping closure for fast and comfortable adjustments. Designed for wearing under a shirt or uniform, available with either 16 layers of Z2 Fibre (Model P302/16 is considered to be Level II-A vest) or 24 layers (Model P302/24 which is considered to be a Level III vest).

Weight: The Model P302/24 weighs 2.80 Kg

Entry: Model P303 Vest

Description: This model is similiar to the above P302 except the P303 has additional side protection while the P302 has exposed side areas. Otherwise the armor equiviliants are the same between the two.

Weight: The Model P303/24 weighs 3.38 Kg

Entry: Model P304 Vest

Description: This model is a further refinement of the P302 and P303 it differs in that this model has an additional groin protector piece which cab be optionally folded up under the breastpiece thus affording greater protection to the chest. Otherwise the armor equiviliants are the same, the chest piece can either provide Level II-A or III (depeding if 16 layers or 24 layers are used or if used to protect the chest than the armor is increased to Level III-A.

Brazil

Manufacturer: Forjas Taurus, Porto Alegre

Entry: Model Designations Unknown, Refered To As Police Style

Description: The Police Style vest is manufactuered from Kevlar aramid fibers, it is side-fastened by velcro straps. This model has an optional groin protector piece. It is available in grades of protection from Level I, II, & IIA

Weight: A Level IIA vest weighs 2.5 Kg

Entry: Model Designation Unknown, Refered To As A Jacket Style

Description: The Jacket Style vest is manufactuered from Kevlar aramid fibers, it is fastened at the front with velcro straps and press buttons. This model has an optional groin protector piece. It is available in grades of protection from Level I, II, & IIA

Weight: Unspecified

Canada

Manufacturer: Safeco Manufacturing Ltd, Scarborough

Entry: Model Designations Unknown, Refered To As Protective Vest

Description: The Protective Vest is hand-made and designed to be used by those wearing vests for a living (i.e. law enforcement, medical fields, military personnel) who require a comfortable fit and ease of movement. Models are made for both male and female wearers. Specified armor protection rating not listed, based on physical and stylisitic characteristics it would seem to be a Level II-A or Level III vest.

France

Manufacturer: Mandefence, Saint Nazaire

Entry: Type RJL Pilot Jacket

Description: The Type RJL design is an armored jacket designed for aviators and their support personnel, it is designed to be worn over normal gear including life jackets. If an emergency dictates a quick release strap located at the front of the jacket allows for the jacket to fall free and other more important equipment (such as a life vest) to be accessibile. Specified armor protection rating not listed, however Jane's states that it does come in various levels of protection; based on this it would seem to be offered in Level II-A, Level III & Level III-A.

Entry: Type SMJ Military Body Armor

Description: The Type SMJ vest is a fragment and bullet resistant jacket made up of several modular components. Full protection is provided to the front, rear and sides equally as well as a high collar to provide neck protection as well as a groin protection component. It is available in grades of protection from Level I, Level II, Level III and additionally by adding a ceramic front and back plate the armor rating is upgraded to

Level IVB/C.

Weight: At Level I listed weight is 4.15 Kg, at Level III the weight is listed at 5.45 Kg.

Entry: Model Designations Unknown, Refered To As Discreet Civil Body Armor

Description: These vests were designed for concealment wear by police officers, security guards and VIP's. The vests themselves can be designed to be worn as undervests, sweaters or blouson jackets. Specified armor protection rating not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be a Level I and or a Level II vest.

Manufacturer: SCOPEX (Societe Parisienne de Commerce et d'Exportation), Sursenes

Entry: SEMA Personal Armor

Description: The SEMA Personal Armor line is a range of vests and jackets designed for various roles, the first model is a vest which is expected to be worn under or over clothing it is available in various grades of protection from Level I and Level IIA. A military jacket has also been designed with ammunition pouches and pockets to be worn as conventional equipment. It comes in various grades of protection from Level III, Level IV, Level IVA, Level IVB (the higher grades of protection are afforded obviously by both ceramic and steel plate inserts).

Manufacturer: SNPE (Societe National des Poudres et Explosifs), Paris

Entry: Police Vest Type PN 1 NF & PN 1ST

Description: This vest is made to French police requirements and is worn normally over normal clothing, it is designed with an optional groin protection apron which houses a insert to increase the level of protection. Specified armor protection rating not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be a Level IIA vest (the trauma plate insert would provide a Level III rating protection).

Entry: Gendarmerie Vest Type FN 1 NF & GN 1 ST

Description: This vest is worn over the outer clothing as a jacket, it contains a pocket for addition of a plate insert to increase armor protection to the chest if required. Specified armor protection rating not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be a Level II jacket (the trauma plate insert would provide a Level III rating protection).

Entry: Army Vest Type AF 1 NF & AF 1 ST

Description: This vest is worn over the outer clothing, the design is secured by velcro straps which allow for quick adjustments. The design can fitted with two exterior pockets, one at waist level and one and mid-chest level. Specified armor protection rating not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be a Level III vest.

Entry: Vest Type CM 1 NF & CM 1 ST

Description: This vest is designed to be worn over outer clothing, it is fitted with an optional groin protection apron to increase the protection coverage of the wearer. It can be fitted with a trauma plate insert to bolster it's protection level as well as a rear pocket for documentation to be carried by the user as well as two pouches at waist level.

Specified armor protection rating not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be a Level II jacket (the trauma plate insert would provide a Level III rating protection).

Entry: Prestige Vest PR 1 C & PR 1 T

Description: This lightweight garment is styled to be worn under a jacket and comes in various fabrics based on user tastes, specified armor protection rating not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be a Level I garment.

Entry: Stopex Vest ST 1 NF & ST 1 ST

Description: This vest is worn over normal clothing, it is designed with an optional protective apron for the groin area as well as an option trauma plate insert for the chest. Specified armor protection rating not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be a Level IIA vest (the trauma plate insert would provide a Level III rating protection).

West Germany

Manufacturer: ERO Sicherheitsausrustungs GmbH, Winsen/Luhe

Entry: ERO-450 BW Fragmentation Vest

Description: This vest was designed to meet specifiations laid down by the West German Army, it is a one piece vest which slipped over the right arm and then secured with velcro straps at the shoulders. A high degree of neck protection is provided as well as to the shoulders, the design is said to provide optimal movement. The unit is fitted with trauma plates which provide additional protection. Specified armor

protection rating not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be a Level IIIA vest (the trauma plate insert would provide a Level IVB rating protection).

Entry: ERO-450 Standard Vest

Description: This vest was designed to meet specifiations laid down by the West German Army, it is a one piece vest which slipped over the right arm and then secured with velcro straps at the shoulders. A high degree of neck protection is provided as well as to the shoulders, the design is said to provide optimal movement. The unit is fitted with trauma plates which provide additional protection. Specified armor

protection rating not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be a Level IIIA vest (the trauma plate insert would provide a Level IVB rating protection).

Weight: Listed weight without cermaic plate inserts is 2.6 Kg

Entry: ERO Police Vest

Description: This vest was designed to West German Police requests for a scalable armor vest, it is designed with options for uparmoring the design with collar and groin protection pieces as well as a trauma insert plate. Initial armor Levels for this vest is Level II but with the full range of add on's it can be increased to Level IV.

Entry: ERO Civil Vest

Description: A discreet garmet it is designed to be worn as a vest or undergarment and has a deerskin outer cover to further make it look like a high quality piece of clothing. This vest provides a Level I grade of protection.

Entry: ERO Concealed Undervest

Description: This vest was designed to be worn under a shirt, a light and comofrtable vest it provides Level II protection.

Manufacturer: Mehler Vario Systems GmbH, Fulda

Entry: Military Jacket Type MIL-100 Fragmentation Jacket

Description: This jacket is designed to help provide protection against fragments and is fitted with a neck collar, it can be fitted with additonal waist and mid-chest pouches for carrying documents, maps and ammunition amongst other items. The jacket provides Level IIA protection.

Weight: 3.40 Kg

Entry: MIL-110 Fragmentation Vest

Description: This vest is designed to be light and not hinder mobility, it is designed to provide Level II protection to the wearer against fragments and handgun ammunition.

Weight: 1.55 kg

Entry: MIL-120 Fragmentation Jacket

Description: This jacket is designed to be a light military design with additional neck and shoulder protection against fragments. It is designed to provide Level IIA protection to the wearer.

Weight: 2.60 Kg

Entry: S 811 Slip On Vest

Description: This vest is designed as an upgradable model to allow the user to increase the level of armor protection as required, as such it has option collar and shoulder attachments as well as a groin attachment for further protection. It is designed initially to provide Level I protection, however this is scalable up to Level IV with the full range of trauma plate inserts, and collar, groin and shoulder attachments.

Weight: 3.0 Kg (Level I)

Entry: T-200 Slip On Vest

Description: This vest is intended for use by special forces personnel as it is scalable to provide as little or as much protection as needed (by the addition trauma insert plates and the like). It is designed initially to provide Level I protection however with the trauma plate insertion it can be upgraded up to Level V.

Weight: 4.80 Kg (Without Plate); 7.91 Kg (With Plate)

Entry: Type S 321 Standard

Description: This vest is designed as an upgradable model to allow the user to increase the level of armor protection as required, as such it has option collar and shoulder attachments as well as a pelvic plate for further protection. It is designed initially to provide Level II protection, however this is scalable up to Levels III, IV & V with the full range of trauma plate inserts, and collar, pelvic and shoulder attachments.

Weight: 7.14 Kg (Without Plate Or Pelvic Plate), 9.54 Kg (With Plate); 10.68 Kg (With Plate & Pelvic Plate)

Entry: Type S-911 Protective Vest

Description: This vest is designed as an upgradable model to allow the user to increase the level of armor protection as required, as such it has option collar and shoulder attachments as well as a pelvic plate for further protection. It is designed initially to provide Level II protection, however this is scalable up to Levels III & IV with the full range of trauma plate inserts, and collar, pelvic and shoulder attachments.

Weight: 4.47 Kg (Level IV)

Israel

Manufacturer: Achidatex, Ramat Gan

Entry: Achidatex Protective Vest

Description: This vest is is designed to be worn over clothing, it is designed to allow the user to protect from fragments and bullets with neck and shoulder protection. Specified armor protection rating not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be a Level III vest.

Manufacturer: Eagle Military Gear Overseas Ltd, Tel Aviv

Entry: Eagle AM-KEV/L-16 Vest

Description: This vest is designed to be worn over clothing, it is designed to allow the user to protect from fragments and bullets with neck and shoulder protection. It is designed to have a trauma plate inserted to increase it's armor protection. Specified armor protection rating not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be available in Level IIA, Level III protection as it comes in 11, 16, 21 layers of Kevlar 29 material. With the trauma plate insert it has Level IIIA protection.

Manufacturer: Hagor Co Ltd, Carmiel

Entry: Hagor IDF Model Fragmentation Vest

Description: This vest is worn over clothing, it is a sleeveless vest with a high collar for neck protection with shoulder protection. The vest can be affixed with various pouches for carrying ammunition or other items. Specified armor protection rating not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be a Level III vest.

Entry: Hagor HBA 1325 Fragmentation Vest

Description: This vest was designed for United Kingdom and United States suggestions to havea vest with two flap pockets on the front surface. It is in use by NATO armies. Specified armor protection rating not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be a Level IIIA vest.

Entry: Hagor HBA 1021 Armored Vest

Description: This sleeveless vest is designed to be worn over clothing, it is fitted with trauma insert plates for greater protection to the chest and back. Specified armor protection rating not listed, however manufacturer listings state it will resist up to 7.62x51mm NATO rounds which would seem to place this as a Level IVC vest.

Weight: Unspecified but manufacturer lists this product as heavy.

Entry: Hagor HBA 1120 Armored Vest

Description: This sleeveless vest is designed to be worn over clothing, it is scalable to add armor plates if needed to increase the armor protection as required. Specified armor protection rating is not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be available as a Level IIA vest without the vest and Level IIIA with the trauma plate.

Entry: Hagor HBA 2042 Bi-purpose Vest

Description: Designed for use by law enforcement and military users, it is a sleeveless vest with optional groin and neck protection add ons. It can be worn under clothing or as an external vest, optional chest and back pockets for trauma plate inserts can be added for protection up to Level IVB & Level IVC. Rated protection without the insert plates would be Level IIA.

Entry: Hagor HPV 1540 Protective Undershirt

Description: Designed for use by undercover personnel and VIP's who require discreet protection, Specified armor protection rating is not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be available as a Level II vest.

Manufacturer: D Krymolowski & Sons Ltd, Petah Tikvah

Entry: Krymolowsk Light Armored Vest

Description: Designed for use by troops of the Israeli Defense Forces, it is designed to offer protection to the torso from fragments and bullets. Specified armor protection rating is not listed, based on physical and stylistic characteristics it would seem to be available as a Level IIIA vest.

Entry: Krymolowski Heavy Armored Vest

Description: This vest is designed for use by Israeli law enforcement and military anti-terrorist groups, it is designed with side protection and a high collar for neck protection. Specified armor protection rating is not listed, however manufacturer listings state it will resist up to 7.62x39mm Soviet rounds which would seem to place this as a Level IVB vest.

Manufacturer: Rabintex Industries Ltd, Bnei Brak

Entry: Rabintex RAV-201 Vest

Description: This vest was designed to meet specifications from Israel, NATO and the United States, the outer shell coating is water resistant, fire retardant and has a reduced infra-red signature. The outer shell coating is available in various shades and camouflage materials, the vest is scalable to provide from protection ranging from Level I, Level II, Level III & Level IV. At the higher levels ballistic plates are inserted in pockets and a trauma plate is added.

Italy

Manufacturer: Tenocompositi SpA, Villa Guardia

Entry: Lasar Type G20S Police Vest

Description: This vest is comprised of front and rear ceramic plates as well as a pelvic shield and provides Level IIIA protection.

Weight: 2.25 Kg

Entry: Lasar Type G40S Commando

Description: This vest is comprised of front and rear ceramic plates as well as a pelvic shield and provides Level III protection.

Weight: 3.6 Kg

Manufacturer: Raggruppamento Materiali Composite Avanzati, Milano

Entry: Raggruppamento TFV-U/O-9 NATO

Description: This vest is a lightweight design intended to worn over clothing, it is made in two parts connected by velcro straps. It provides up to Level III protection.

Weight: 2.17 Kg

Entry: Raggruppamento TFV-AB-PD

Description: This vest is a lightweight design intended to worn over clothing, it is made in two parts connected by velcro straps. It is scalable by use of 4 different grades of Armor plate inserts to provide Level III, Level IIIA, Level IVA & Level V protection.

Weight: 825 Grams to 2.4 Kg

Entry: Raggrupamento TFV-R-G20/G39

Description: This rigid vest is designed of composite materials, it provides front, rear and groin protection (which is optional). It provides up to Level III protection (G20) and Level IIIA (G39)

Weight: 2.0 Kg (G20) & 4.0 Kg (G39)

Entry: Raggrupamento TFV-FJ-470

Description: This sleeveless vest is designed to be worn of clothing and is designed to provide neck protection from fragments. It provides up to Level IIA protection.

Weight: 2.40 Kg