RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Watched "When the Wind Blows"

Jason Weiser 03-06-2006, 07:00 AM Ok, Yes it was anti-nuclear, and yes, it was a bit as my wife would put it "hippie-dippie", but the characters got me to thinking....Jim and Hilda would port over to Twilight VERY well. How you ask? Simple, they're in an out of the way cottage fairly far away from any major target. They could be any old couple who's scared, confused, and thinks this is "just like the last time".

One could see these two in Twilight practically adopting any group of American or British soldiers that would happen their way. It would be a real break from the unending grimness one finds in Twilight (kinda the point, yes, but it can get overpowering after a while) and it could get PCs thinking about how their famlies are doing back in the US. Additionally, the two could be put anywhere out of the way, either way, the only requirement is that they'd be somewhere not too badly affected by the war, but where it's effects would be noticeable and that they have no real clue as to what's going on....so that heavily armed PCs showing up on their doorstep would be something of a shock to them...all in all, it would make a nice encounter, real break from the ordinary.

DeaconR 03-06-2006, 09:04 AM I agree. It's a nice little film, sort of sad but also funny by turns. One little moment I liked was where Jim is trying to get her to take things seriously and says, "What would you do if a Russian paratrooper showed up at our doorstep?" and this image suddenly appears of a huge fierce guy with a fur hat and an AK with bayonet and Hilda replies "I'd offer him a cup of tea." at which the image vanishes.

I do know what you mean though. I have stuck my players quite deliberately in areas that are so troubled or contested that they pretty much expect to encounter dangerous marauder groups, mutineers, floods of refugees and so on. But I'm intending at some point for them to enter an area a bit more like that depicted in "When the Wind Blows" or "Alas Babylon". The only thing about such an area is that the players must appreciate it, they must enjoy the idea of it. So that it can either be an interlude that makes them long for more peaceful days in a more clear way or else that makes them want to stay and defend it.

Tags
movies