RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Poll - Favorite Handgun (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=1891)

chico20854 01-29-2010 10:14 AM

Poll - Favorite Handgun

Similar to the assault rifle thread, what is your favorite handgun to equip your PC with. Or none at all, for a variety of reasons...

Targan 01-29-2010 10:41 AM

SOCOM pistol or a USP Tactical. Not very likely for a PC to have but hey, you said favourite right?

fightingflamingo 01-29-2010 10:46 AM

M1911A1... simply put, I puts people down. I can make due without extra rounds as this is a side arm (e.g. a packup to my primary weapon which had better be a rifle).

Raellus 01-29-2010 12:36 PM

I like the look and feel of the Glock series. In 9mm, it's so light you barely notice you're carrying it and it it holds a ton of bullets.

The Browning HP is an old fav too.

pmulcahy11b 01-29-2010 02:41 PM

Pretty much any full- or commander-sized Para-Ordnance version of the M-1911. Enough like M-1911A1 to make me happy, fires .45 ACP, but updated for the modern era, and the best of the M-1911A1 clones.

jester 01-29-2010 03:31 PM

If I could only have 2 handguns in the world one would be the S&W Model 29 in .44 magnum, good for some hunting but also a good defense weapon.

As for pure combat the Browning in a cocked and locked status, it holds 12 rounds which is good enough, but it points so easily it really is a natural extension of the hand. Now days, it can be had in .40 which is close enough to .45 that the argument of the 9mm being to light is rendered moot.

If it was general purpose for combat, I could go with any of the Sig series be it the P226 9mm full size or the P228 combat or the P220 .45, all play a good durable double action weapon with a more modern design.

IF I am needing a weapon for purely backup, a snubby in .357 using .38 special hollowpoints is good and then just rely on my long arm.

As for the ultimate survival weapon, a Ruger MkII or Browing Buckmark since it coulbe be used for defense as a TOTAL LAST DITCH weapon, but also, it would be critical for putting small game and thus meat in the stew pot. Ammo can be had and carried in huge quantities as well.

So that is my take on if you need a pistol.

Legbreaker 01-29-2010 06:45 PM

Bah! Pistols! You're better off throwing rocks for all the good they do...

Just make sure you pill the pin out of those rocks first.... ;)

Matt Wiser 01-29-2010 10:16 PM

Either a SiG-Sauer P226 in 9-mm or a SEAL specialty: the S&W Mark 23 in .45 ACP. In the game, both have proven their worth. Especially the latter, as that big .45 ACP round means the bad guy goes down and stays down. But I carry both in the game, and sometimes the first one I reach for is the one I use.

Ramjam 01-30-2010 02:45 AM

Browning HP for me.

Brings back alot of memories.

weswood 01-30-2010 10:46 AM

Going to have to go with the M1911- always my fave in real life, I like to stick to what I know in game life.

Mohoender 02-01-2010 05:05 AM

Browning 1910. A light and handy ancester, built by the FN. More important, my grand father weapon (7.65mm version).

leonpoi 02-02-2010 10:58 PM

M1911A1 for no informed reason - just because I think it's cool. 7 rounds doesn't go very far though ;)

waiting4something 02-16-2010 01:46 PM

FN Five-Seven. Love this pistol. It's light, holds 20, high velocity accurate rounds, and very low recoil. I'm not sure how great a man stopper it is, but from reading about its effects it does great for how tiny the bullets are. They look like minature rifle rounds. So yeah its not gonna drop someone on there butt like a .45 ACP, but it does the job.

Webstral 02-25-2010 10:09 PM

If I have to choose, I'll go with the M1911. I find the weapon surprisingly easy to control, and I believe in stopping power. I like simple, and I like tried-and-true. At home, though, I have a Taurus 607 in .357.

Webstral

Anton_Lysenko 02-25-2010 10:39 PM

Chello!

1911 for all the usual reasons. I'd also take a Glock, but chambered in .45. I and work for ATS after Katrina/Rita and carried a Glock 17 and never really liked it.

Tony

TiggerCCW UK 03-26-2010 05:58 PM

I went for the Glock simply because of the range of calibres its available in - quite fancy the 10mm Glock 20......

headquarters 05-10-2010 05:35 AM

Glock 17 /P-80

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiggerCCW UK (Post 20586)
I went for the Glock simply because of the range of calibres its available in - quite fancy the 10mm Glock 20......

The Glock is ugly ,mediocre in accuracy and half of it is plastic - I would still choose this one though .

I think its main strengths are simplicity and ruggedness.

It has 4 parts when field stripped -no finicky bits that go there but not like that etc .It just fits together in a self explanatory matter.Its rugged and can take abuse but still go pop.

And last but not least -it is easy to use .No hammer our safety to worry about whenever drawing quickly or using the gun while doing something else ..with alittle pulse racing you would be amazed how easy it can be to forget yourself and start fiddeling with the gun in ways that are not good for you .The glock has safe controls that you get the hang of quickly .

Moreover -it has accessories,various calibers,a great big magazine etc etc .

A good choice -all in my humble opinion .

TiggerCCW UK 05-10-2010 05:45 AM

When I was in the States in '99 the guy who put me through my range quals was a fish and game cop who had a Glock with a laser sight built in to the frame. Very nice pistol - we used it on the 50 foot .22 range, lovely bit of kit.

General Pain 05-10-2010 08:44 AM

The Paintek .666 Knucklebreaker Custom Handgun

Since I am playing in HQs Campaign and had for some years my own industrial complex I produced about 50.000 of these badboys.

They are merly an oversized more evil looking Desert Eagle..
Pretty heavy but packs a powerfull punch with it's custom made bullets.
All Design work made by General Pain himself (gunsmith:10)(legendary status)
;)

WEAPON ROF DAM PEN BLK MAG SS/BRST RNG
SA 5 2-3-4 1 8 4/- 17m

ROUND .666 PainTek Magnum Special
MAG 8 box

Stats and pix on the big book of war under paintek.

Funny thing in close combat areas I prefer it over submachine guns - 1 hit one kill. 5x12 in damage and 50% of critical hit every time.

pmulcahy11b 05-10-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Pain (Post 22198)
.666 PainTek Magnum Special

Just how much does this monster pistol weigh!!??

HorseSoldier 05-10-2010 05:30 PM

"Oversized Desert Eagle" sounds like too much pistol for me right out of the gate.

enrious 05-11-2010 01:12 AM

Beretta for me.

I've put 50k rounds through mine and am actually more impressed every time I shoot it.

3 stoppages.

headquarters 05-11-2010 01:41 AM

game gun - the baddest gun that never were

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseSoldier (Post 22215)
"Oversized Desert Eagle" sounds like too much pistol for me right out of the gate.

by game I mean RPG game ..hehe..

I agree- too much pistol for everyone else to in opur campaign .As a GM I decided that realistically ( in my head) , such a massive gun would get little real useage.

As the GM in said campaign I would just like to point out that the
Paintek .666 never saw widespread use in our campaign ( still running 6th year FtF etc etc ) .So - in our campaign -

The gun -although massproduced - was very unpopular among the troops who dubbed it knucklebuster due to the injuries the regular soldier sustained when handling the massive piece.It also had severe recoil,was heavy and cumbersome and ammo supply was problematic at times due to logistical effects of the gun being scorned by most troops etc .Also th eergonomics were questionable as the grip was large and big hands needed to comfortably shoot it .Despite all these design flaws ,the PC in question secured a run of 50 000 units .Most were never issued.

A parallell project for a sidearm for the parties armies quickly rushed the Paintek1911 into production and it gained popularity over the .666 instantly -even if cheaper and less deadly it was just more easy to use and carry.

The .666 was also expensive in terms of resources and manpower and if added to the scales of all the Generals super weapon projects , might have been a part of the reason that his armies collapsed for lack of supplies and weapons towards the later part of our " 2nd American Civil War" .

Anyways - the gun has a few strongpoints as a theoretical design , the way we saw it ,it has very high stopping power due to the heavy bullet and comparatively fierce propellant load .Rules wise it is meant to be the "big ,bad gun" that is sure to end any discussion. A PC can also club someone to death with little damage to the weapon.In CQB it is a good choice when considering the rules , it is relatively fast and stops the enemy dead every time with our dmg rules.

In real live the trend towards guns that can tip a polar bear over has shown that outrageous calibers in hand guns are marketable - see the .460, .454 Casull, .50 AE, etc etc .

General Pains character carries one in our current game.

waiting4something 05-11-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Pain (Post 22198)
Since I am playing in HQs Campaign and had for some years my own industrial complex I produced about 50.000 of these badboys.

They are merly an oversized more evil looking Desert Eagle..
Pretty heavy but packs a powerfull punch with it's custom made bullets.
All Design work made by General Pain himself (gunsmith:10)(legendary status)
;)

WEAPON ROF DAM PEN BLK MAG SS/BRST RNG
SA 5 2-3-4 1 8 4/- 17m

ROUND .666 PainTek Magnum Special
MAG 8 box

Stats and pix on the big book of war under paintek.

Funny thing in close combat areas I prefer it over submachine guns - 1 hit one kill. 5x12 in damage and 50% of critical hit every time.

Jesus Christ! Pain you son of a bitch.....:rolleyes::D

waiting4something 05-11-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enrious (Post 22232)
Beretta for me.

I've put 50k rounds through mine and am actually more impressed every time I shoot it.

3 stoppages.

Thank you. Someone else that thinks the Beretta is a good pistol. In a world of Beretta bashers we have to stand together.:cool:

HorseSoldier 05-11-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waiting4something (Post 22261)
Thank you. Someone else that thinks the Beretta is a good pistol. In a world of Beretta bashers we have to stand together.:cool:

With a locking block made of unobtanium, I'd be onboard. Otherwise, my experience hasn't been so rosy.

headquarters 05-12-2010 03:16 AM

hehehe

Quote:

Originally Posted by waiting4something (Post 22260)
Jesus Christ! Pain you son of a bitch.....:rolleyes::D

That is true W4S.

As his GM I have to say :

he kinda can be

:D

Dont forget he lugs around 2 pcs of sawed of 10 gage shotguns too ,just to make sure he never meets some NPC with a bigger caliber handgun than him...

I am now secretly taking entries for a "biggerthanGeneralPainsCharactershandgun" contest to outfit an NPC he will face next FtF.

Raellus 08-27-2010 04:59 PM

I've recently fallen in love with the Walther P99. It just looks and feels great. Haven't fired one yet but hope to soon.

HorseSoldier 08-27-2010 06:37 PM

They are great, and with the Anti-Stress trigger option it's one of the nicest out of the box triggers out there in the polymer world. I had one as my main range and CCW gun for a few years, until I got on a no-polymer kick and went back to 1911s and High Powers.

Blink_Dog 04-13-2016 10:03 AM

Revolver, specifically a Colt Python .357 Magnum, you can use .38 Special in it. I have an airsoft version love the grips on it. If I were to choose an automatic I would take a Walther P99 in 9mm or an H+K SOCOM in .45, again I have airsoft versions and like the way it feels in my hand.